• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga in Top 150 Books

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Fruits Basket actually made it into the Top 100. That's quite a feat, but I think it might have been done before by a manga. Not too sure about that though.
jkao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess that goes to show how popular Fruits Basket is.

What I find intersting is that these are all clearly numbered titles, volumes 12, 8, and 8. And their listing in USA Today are exactly that "Fruits Basket, Volume 12" rather than carrying some kind of made-up volume-specific name.

I remember a number of years ago, manga publishers were fretting over how late-numbered titles were less likely to be stocked and thus tried to confuse the number by giving each volume its own made-up title and concealing the volume number.

Does anybody know approximately when this went out of fashion, which publishers used this technique the most, and/or which publishers used this technique the least (or none at all)?
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote
I have a lot of manga that is like that. I always wondered why I was being forced to look what volume I was reading. I'm guessing Tokyopop helped change that. Every one started to copy their 10 doller price point and unfilped style, as far as I can remember. Clearly marked volume numbers might have been a part of that, though I never thought about it before.

Those manga must be making a killing money wise, they make it to the top 150 every few months, but I guess the not recently released volumes don't sell as well... I wonder if it's better to have many diffrent books on the top, or one that just stays there?
aluria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I think Furuba has made it into the 70's before though that was one of the eariler volumes however I though vol. 12 was an excellent volume and I know they keep getting better. Not sure bout the volume thing though but I would agree that it probably started phasing out with Tokyopop's authentic line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Byakuya Kuchiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see more mangas getting higher. Also Fruits Basket has been higher. I think vol.8 got to 67.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin5000 wrote:
Wow, Fruits Basket actually made it into the Top 100. That's quite a feat, but I think it might have been done before by a manga. Not too sure about that though.
It's been higher up on the list before, if you check under the news section in the titles' manga encyc page. Nothing has ever broken the top 50, but that's just a matter of time. ^__^m
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
jkao wrote:
I guess that goes to show how popular Fruits Basket is.

What I find intersting is that these are all clearly numbered titles, volumes 12, 8, and 8. And their listing in USA Today are exactly that "Fruits Basket, Volume 12" rather than carrying some kind of made-up volume-specific name.

I remember a number of years ago, manga publishers were fretting over how late-numbered titles were less likely to be stocked and thus tried to confuse the number by giving each volume its own made-up title and concealing the volume number.

Does anybody know approximately when this went out of fashion, which publishers used this technique the most, and/or which publishers used this technique the least (or none at all)?

I know what you mean... but personally i think it's better that it's numbered. I've spend a long time in library trying to figure out what volume number is what. Most of the time there is a little number that says what number is it, but for some manga (i think some of the old oh my godess manga) it was difficult to put the ones i want on hold in order
Mishamew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
any one know if Pita-Ten made it?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Mishamew wrote:

Nope, Pita-Ten is not even one of the top 10 selling manga, and in most weeks the top selling manga doesn't even make it into the top 150 books.

-t
Mishamew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
oh my god! Nuuu! oh well, that's okay. thank you for lettin me know. Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
jkao wrote:

Viz and Dark Horse are the companies your thinking of. But it's been a few years now that they've been keeping volume numbers very visible on the spine.

Tokyopop doesn't even use volume names, personally I'd prefer if each volume had a name of some sort.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Tokyopop doesn't even use volume names, personally I'd prefer if each volume had a name of some sort.

Most manga titles don't have volume names for each tankoubon, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I think a combination of the two would be ideal. Just a number is rather bland and does tell little about the contents of that particular volume. Come to think of it, it's a practice common to most anime DVD publishers Smile

dormcat wrote:
Most manga titles don't have volume names for each tankoubon, though.

True, but coming up with a good one shouldn't be too taxing.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

They do have volume name. Here are some example I have on my list of manga:
Priest Vol. 1: A Prelude to the Deceased
Priest Vol. 2: A Prelude to the Deacased Part 2
Priest Vol. 3: Requiem for the Damned
Priest Vol. 4: Harbinger's Song
Samurai Deeper Kyo Vol. 4: Tournament of Scoundrels
Samurai Deeper Kyo Vol. 5: Who is the real Demond Eyes Kyo
Samurai Deeper Kyo Vol. 6: Forest of the Damned
Ragnarok Vol. 1: Eve of Apocalypse
Ragnarok Vol. 2: The Day of Reckoning
Ragnarok Vol. 3: Night of Blood
Ragnarok Vol. 4: Dawn of Destruction
Ragnarok Vol. 5: Twilight of Terror

Viz example:
Bleach Volume 1: Strawberru & the Soul Reaper
Bleach Volume 2: Goodbye Parakeet, Good Night My Sister
Bleach Volume 3: Memories in the the Rain

The name are usually printed in the backcover of the book. Viz also use title for thier almost all their Shonen books too, but they're also printed in the backcover.

Mishamew wrote:

Why would it be? Pita-ten rarely get mention.
Popular title that I wouldn't be suprise to see in the top 150: Naruto, Kenshin, FMA, Fruit Basket, Saiyuki.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

The name are usually printed in the backcover of the book. Viz also use title for thier almost all their Shonen books too, but they're also printed in the backcover.

I think they usually only have names like that if they those names in the Japanese version. I didn't notice the volume titles in Samurai Deeper Kyo, but I'm pretty sure the ones in Bleach are translations of titles that where there in the Japanese version.

On the other hand, I think Viz did use to add their own titles (and still do for series that are still running from those times), but stopped at some point. Fushigi Yuugi, Ceres, and Imadoki all have volume titles and their older No Need for Tenchi volumes did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2