• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CPM Star Anchor Ads

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
This is happening:

I would just turn off that ad provider (CPMstar) but there doesn't seem to be a link. And sometimes it'll come up along with TRSi or Funimation, and in those cases I have the option of disabling only the banners or boxes.

If that isn't deemed invasive, could somebody PM me how to turn off an ad agency without a link?
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I was just looking for the right place to post about the same thing - I'm seeing screen-locked popup ads. I like this site - I've been coming here off and on since the year it launched, back when Anipike was a big thing. I try not to block any ad providers for ANN because I understand they have to pay the bills, but... something like that is super obnoxious and there's a very strong incentive to jam it, block the ad network and so on just to reclaim the screen space and not have to close popups every time I navigate to an encyclopedia page.

Hopefully it's just a mistake, though I'm not sure how something so heavily scripted could be implemented without oversight...
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
This is happening:

I would just turn off that ad provider (CPMstar) but there doesn't seem to be a link. And sometimes it'll come up along with TRSi or Funimation, and in those cases I have the option of disabling only the banners or boxes.

If that isn't deemed invasive, could somebody PM me how to turn off an ad agency without a link?
+1
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
This is happening:
(edited for space)

+1

Got one like that as well, except it was for Chuck E. Cheese's. At the bottom of the page it said "Ads by FUNimation Entertainment & CPMstar," so I'm guessing CPMstar is responsible.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Subscribers should see the link to disable that ad agency in the sidebar, where the rectangle ad is usually. Yeah, I know it's a bit un-obvious. :-/

For others... get a subscription? ;-p

Now, seriously. I wouldn't consider this ad format a "popup", more like a banner that is anchored at the bottom of the screen. But when the ad format was presented to us, it was supposed to be 60px tall (the height of the black band), and in the screenshots above they shove a standard 728x90 ad in there, which sticks out the top of the black band and is much more intrusive.

Well, this is a trial run of a new ad format. We haven't yet decided if we'll stick with it; we may not if it's too obstrusive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Eventually I realized that if it happened again, I could just search the page for "CPMstar," which I did when it inevitably came up. It's kind of a shame for them, because occasionally they were for MMORPGs which I might have tried, but because they kept getting in my way, I'll never see them anymore.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
If I'm trying to view ANN from my phone or kindle, this bar pops up on the middle of the screen, and if I try to close it, it only scrolls down a little bit and then stops. I can't see or click on anything it covers.

I hate this ad bar in general, but whatever. Is there a way to remove this bar for portable devices? It's beyond just annoying at that point.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If I'm trying to view ANN from my phone or kindle, this bar pops up on the middle of the screen, and if I try to close it, it only scrolls down a little bit and then stops. I can't see or click on anything it covers.

I hate this ad bar in general, but whatever. Is there a way to remove this bar for portable devices? It's beyond just annoying at that point.

I'll see what we can do about disabling it on mobile devices. It'll take a while though, we don't have that capability built into our ad-server yet.

Chris

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Hi Gang,

Thanks for the feedback.

A couple notes on the CPMStar ads.

1) They're essentially just a 728x90 Anchor Ad anchored to the bottom of the page. Not really a pop-up or overlay.

2) Subscribers can turn them off, just look for the spot where the rectangle normally is, and click "no more ads from CPMStar." As Dan said, sorry it's not evident.

3) We've maintained our 2 standard display ads per page rule, this ad is being shown instead of a 300x250 mrec or 160x600 tower.

4) Anyone can turn the Anchor Ad off once it is displayed, by clicking "close ad"

5) CPMStar is an attractive advertiser to us because they fill inventory, and we wanted to test the ad to see if it would be acceptable to our readers (you guys). Their ads are almost entirely for online games and I think they're relevant ads to our readers. Given all of the above, how many of you feel that they are acceptable ads, and how many of you feel they are too intrusive?

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
tempest--
IF they pay you well, then I guess that I do not mind..... too much.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
When browsing the site on my nook, the banner doesn't move and blocks out part of the article and won't close. If that could be fixed I wouldn't really have a problem with it, but as of now it's really annoying.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
When browsing the site on my nook, the banner doesn't move and blocks out part of the article and won't close. If that could be fixed I wouldn't really have a problem with it, but as of now it's really annoying.

Ok, the anchor ads should no longer be displayed on mobile devices. Please let me know if you still get them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

5) CPMStar is an attractive advertiser to us because they fill inventory, and we wanted to test the ad to see if it would be acceptable to our readers (you guys). Their ads are almost entirely for online games and I think they're relevant ads to our readers. Given all of the above, how many of you feel that they are acceptable ads, and how many of you feel they are too intrusive?

-t

I decided to wait a bit before commenting on this, to give me time to get used to the new ads. And though I still find them a bit more annoying than other ads, they aren't intolerable or anything, so I'd say keep them if they pay that well.
stanislaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I am writing this in hopes of starting a discussion about the new TV style ads. This style of advertising is intrusive (sound!) and worse irrelevant (American celebrity news!).
For the Encyclopedia alone, ANN is a valuable resource to the Amine community. The Features and reviews are always informative and entertaining.
It is sad to see that the website has to resort to intrusive ads. I frequently recommend the site to my friends, now I will have to do so with a caveat.
In order to browse free of these ads ANN will have my Subscriber dollar, but only under protest.

This message copied from my post in Site Related->ANN Feedback
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the content of the ads (MMOs and games) but the nature of the add is super annoying. It has been driving me bonkers. Though now that I know I can turn them off I will be doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2