• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you afford Fate/Zero blu-ray release?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
If I really wanted to own Fate/Zero, I would have saved money each month towards buying it since the show was solicited a few months ahead of time.

That's exactly what I did, first for the first box and now again with the second one. And it didn't really mess up my finances, of which I don't have many. But woe is me, I'm a gigantic Type-Moon fanboy and I don't buy many other anime-stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
$225 is the highest I've paid for a single title so far (the 3 PMMM LEs at $75 each) and I'm pretty sure that's my line in the sand. Any more than that and I'd expect Laura Bailey to hand deliver the item to my door wearing the Princess Leia bikini.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Any more than that and I'd expect Laura Bailey to hand deliver the item to my door wearing the Princess Leia bikini.

High 5 Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
$225 is the highest I've paid for a single title so far (the 3 PMMM LEs at $75 each) and I'm pretty sure that's my line in the sand. Any more than that and I'd expect Laura Bailey to hand deliver the item to my door wearing the Princess Leia bikini.

Sounds like she'd make more money delivering DVDs to you than doing voice acting.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
@ Blood-

The only thing that happens when you draw a line in the sand: The Next Wave washes it away.

Let's see, I really like Fate/Stay Night. I just counted 10 Fate/... figures and that doesn't count several figmas still boxed. I wonder how much I dropped on those? So yeah, I bought it, the first half is on my Bluray shelves and according to TRSI the second half is on its way.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
Embarassed Embarassed
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
If I had wanted the show, I'm sure I could have saved up the money between the time frame of it being announced and it being released.

Should I spend that much on a single show? No.

I'll admit though, I am Anti-Aniplex. I would rather throw my money in a river then give it to them. I've been fighting the urge to buy the second OreImo release, On one hand it would support one of their cheaper re-releases but on the other hand.. It's still Aniplex.

Rolling Eyes
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
One more for the "yeah, I can afford it but I don't want it badly enough to buy it" group.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I could buy them but it would keep me from buying anything else for the next 6-8 months. I still have not decided whether I want to or not. I probably would have jumped on the release if they released them in singles that way I wouldn't pay a fortune all at once.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Yes but I've had to do some major sacrificing for it.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Nope. I make my limit at around $100-$120ish. I buy LEs of games to which do hit that price, but anything higher and I have to wait for a price drop. Would I buy them if they were around that price range? Perhaps... I still need to buy the LEs of Madoka at some point!
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I could afford it if I wanted to buy the show, but it's just not on my radar. I've spent more than this on imports before, so the price of the show wouldn't be a deterrent if I wanted to get it. I pick and choose which expensive shows I'm going to drop cash on so my anime budget isn't cutting into other areas of my life, and so for me, I'm importing the Gundam AGE and SEED blu-rays as they come out, and passing on Fate-Zero and the new DRRR set. I did the same thing last year, buying the 3 Kenshin releases and the ROD box set, but passed on some other higher priced items.

Really, I think it comes down to being past the point where I want to own every piece of domestically released anime. I know that's a big goal for some folk, and more power to them, I just don't have that kind of ambition. I'm content with seeing a few good shows a year, buying some and passing on others, and looking forward to what comes out next.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
EpicLotus - my memory is admittedly crap, but I could have sworn I remember you salivating over the F/Z sets during one of the many threads devoted to AoA's release/pricing strategy.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Salivating is probably a bit strong, but mostly I remember being excited at the import news and I was for sure planning to buy it. I was still a bit sore over missing the KnK set, and I was looking forward to getting in on the shiny-goodness of another Aniplex import.

I definitely recall having some arguments with folks who wanted to make a case that there shouldn't be anime this expensive in North America, and I was making a case for there being nothing wrong with having limited, high-priced offerings (something I still hold to). That set of arguments didn't pertain exclusively F/Z, although it was the catalyst for the discussion.

Frankly, I cancelled my pre-order some time in late February to pursue the Gundam sets and haven't looked back since. I haven't really thought about F/Z except for when I see its listing on CR, and while I was aware the 2nd boxset was coming up, I couldn't tell you when.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, cool. I don't have to be tested for Alzheimer's just yet...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5