• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
Does FedEx deliver to desert islands? Also a desert island is an irony in terms. Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Neohybrid_kai wrote:
what music is playing in the trailer? it sounds familiar
I want to say it's The Nutcracker. I've definitely heard it somewhere before(I think a car commercial), but I'm fairly sure I'm thinking of something else.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Blast of Tempest:
I already was planning on watching this show, but the Shakespearean influence sold it. Although a better literary quote might be Cyrano de Bergerac's "Perish the universe, provided I have my revenge!”
And okay, yeah, this is got to be the running for worst title ever. I must assume this is directed by the Japanese suits, otherwise any native English speaker would have gone with The Tempest's Blast, which would be the correct translation. Maybe Funimation can fix this once they pick it up. The other problem is the Japanese custom of repeating themselves in the title. You've got 'Blast' in there twice, generally not a good thing. Assuming you had to keep the subtitle, I'da gone with something like Tempest Storm: The Civilization Blaster. Same connotations, but more readable.

Looking through the staff profiles, has there been such a bizarre list as the career of Okada Mari? She's done the all or some of the script for anohana, CANAAN, Bantorra, Fractale, Gosick, Hourou Musuko, Simoun, Toradora, and Lupin III: Part 4 (as well as the screenplay for Diamond Daydreams, a vastly underrated show), and at the same time she's done AKB0048 and Kodomo no Jikan and Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (A new show this season, but I'm already giving it the benefit of the doubt and calling it a massive trainwreck). I understand that you've got to pay the bills somehow, but damn, that's like hearing Orson Welles sell out in a Frozen Peas commercial or something. Okay, bad example.
daisy23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
The song of the trailer is Beethoven's Piano Sonata no. 17, "The Tempest".
Quite a fitting song for the anime Very Happy

In my opinion they should keep the title Zetsuen no Tempest in Japanese, the term "zetsuen" is used in the series (and it is an important element).

The manga is still ongoing (tomorrow the 7th volume is going to be released on Japan) and still there's some mysteries that haven't been revealed. I wish it won't have a lame original end.

Kana Hanazawa is confirmed for Aika Fuwa. She will also sing the ending called "happy endings".

And a cool visual with all the characters:
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
So daisy23, how is the term rendered in the manga? I have no idea of the contextual importance that you mention it has in the story, having never read (or heard of until now) the manga, but from the kanji, I'm guessing it's something like a "hidden garden"? Less eloquently, I'm (possibly incorrectly) interpreting that as "a garden (perhaps not in a literal sense, more like a "place of plenty/paradise") or place (more generic) that has been insulated/protected/hidden (from...bad stuff that happened in the story, I guess?). Which makes the "blast" part all the more difficult for me to understand.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Not completely sold on this, but sounds interesting enough. Besides, I generally like what Bones does. I already have too many shows on my plate -and that's assuming Shirokuma Café and Eureka AO will be finishing this season - but if Medaka 2 turns out as crappy as season one, I may give this one a try
mad mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
A barrel, really? Still, this looks interesting enough to check out. Could go either way.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Aika is dead, but she's still alive on screen? Is she a ghost? Is it just a dream?
"I've been shagging your sister, who's now dead, but you don't know that I've been shagging your now dead sister cause we pretended not to be shagging."
"I know you've been shagging my sister who's now dead, but you don't know that I know you've been shagging my now dead sister cause I'm keeping it a secret that I know."
Meanwhile a girl with a bad case of PMT gets stuffed into a wooden cask, of all bloody things, and shipped to a desert island? Puts a new twist on the term "barrel of monkeys" I perfer beer in my barrels.
Hmm. looks too convoluted. Worth a rental maybe.
Next
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah! Fall preview guide is here! I've been anxiously anticipating this column or is it a feature column?

Whatever, I plan on giving Tempest a shot (meaning a couple of episodes). Normally, shounen isn't my favorite genre, but this is looking okay. Very wary of Okada as the head writer though. She's hit or miss with me.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Seems like a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing, to me. Razz
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
^^^
...looking for the "like" button for your post.

Really, it does sound like a horrible unfocused mess.
An anime version of The Tempest? I'd be all over that, but this looks to be a grab-bag of disparate ideas desperately being thrown at a manga editor who just said "meh, it's all good."

but I'll be sure to give it a chance once it actually airs.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This actually sounds like it could be fairly enjoyable, though I'm curious how they'll work out the whole "stuffed in a barrel" thing since, judging by the trailer, they're going for a very dark and serious tone, and the barrel things seems a bit silly. Still, I'll definitely at least be giving the first episode of this a shot.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Blast of tempest (wtf is with that title?) - Man i despise the manga. It starts off good but very quickly turns too a steaming pile of shit. spoiler[It has some of the most BS logic i read in a manga and makes no sense 80% of the time. Its basically bakemono if you remove all the characters and replace them with boring non interesting ones (okay mahiro is kinda cool but still) with literally 3 action scenes and everything else is boring dialoge.] Now that i got that out of the way i pray aniplex makes this go a FMA route after episode 4 but since its two cour it probably wont happen.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I read like one chapter and it consisted of 80% of BS expositionary dialogue,that makes no sense but then again first episode of X and Fate/Zero was like that and I rather enjoyed both of them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Awright, the Fall Spotlight! I gotta tell ya, I do love this, "every 12 weeks you get a whole slew of new shows" dealio that anime has going on. So far there are 28 shows (nope, that is not a typo) I'm planning to catch at least the first eppie of. I wonder how many will stick? I'm curious about Tempest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 39