• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I read like one chapter and it consisted of 80% of BS expositionary dialogue,that makes no sense but then again first episode of X and Fate/Zero was like that and I rather enjoyed both of them.

I read about 20 chapters (or 18 cant remember its a monthly manga too) and it gets even worse. It sounds like im bitching but i mean every word i say and everyone should lower expectations accordingly expecting a good fighting anime or mystery anime. Especcily the former.
daisy23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
So daisy23, how is the term rendered in the manga? I have no idea of the contextual importance that you mention it has in the story, having never read (or heard of until now) the manga, but from the kanji, I'm guessing it's something like a "hidden garden"? Less eloquently, I'm (possibly incorrectly) interpreting that as "a garden (perhaps not in a literal sense, more like a "place of plenty/paradise") or place (more generic) that has been insulated/protected/hidden (from...bad stuff that happened in the story, I guess?). Which makes the "blast" part all the more difficult for me to understand.

Unfortunately I don't know Japanese so I can't help in that aspect, but after reading the summary that ANN posted it seems they are translating "Tree of Zetsuen" as "Tree of World's End", I meant that.

I would have liked that the anime could have kept secret Aika's design and the fact that she was dating Yoshino but oh well

@opn I know many people that also complain about the manga for that reason but I personally really liked it, especially spoiler[the confrontation between Samon and Yoshino]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I checked out the Tempest manga some, and it's interesting. It's very talky, and I can see that turning off people, especially if they were hoping for a more traditional fighting series. We're talking Death Note level of talking here. In fact, it reminds me of Death Note a lot, especially in some of the confrontations as they seem to involve outwitting the other person.

That said, I strongly disagree with about every single other complaint opn had against the series. It is very intriguing once you get into it, has some cool concepts and twists, builds suspense well, and has some interesting characters, especially Yoshino Takigawa. spoiler[He's actually very unsettling, to the point where I almost immediately suspected that he himself was the one who actually murdered Aika. I'm still not sure if that's a red herring or not, but there's definitely something a bit creepy about him.]

Excited for the anime now, but considering the manga is still ongoing and doesn't seem like it's ready to end soon, I wonder what they plan to do about the ending.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
So excited for the Fall season! I'm looking forward to so many shows. Very Happy At the very least, I'm expecting Zetsuen no Tempest to be an entertaining train wreck, but hoping it will be much better than that.
daisy23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Well, I checked out the Tempest manga some, and it's interesting. It's very talky, and I can see that turning off people, especially if they were hoping for a more traditional fighting series. We're talking Death Note level of talking here. In fact, it reminds me of Death Note a lot, especially in some of the confrontations as they seem to involve outwitting the other person.

That said, I strongly disagree with about every single other complaint opn had against the series. It is very intriguing once you get into it, has some cool concepts and twists, builds suspense well, and has some interesting characters, especially Yoshino Takigawa. spoiler[He's actually very unsettling, to the point where I almost immediately suspected that he himself was the one who actually murdered Aika. I'm still not sure if that's a red herring or not, but there's definitely something a bit creepy about him.]

Excited for the anime now, but considering the manga is still ongoing and doesn't seem like it's ready to end soon, I wonder what they plan to do about the ending.

I agree, Yoshino is the most interesting character. He totally surprised me since I thought he was going to be the weakling who accompanies the "hero".

About Aika's murderspoiler[I honestly don't think he made it... And totally love their flashbacks of the 2 of them together]
opn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
@daisy thats where i drew the line with the manga. It felt like a competition of who could pull a bigger asspull and was freaken ridiculous.
@mad_scientist The manga completely lost me at chapter 11 where the BS starts before then i was getting into it...then it just lost me completely but eh different views/opinions i guess. I still hope bones/aniplex goes the filler route after episode 4 but since its 2 cour i sadly doubt it.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

That's what you get with an ADD society. Probably they are also bitter about the fact that it isn't chock-a-block filled with fanservice.

It's a good mystery and I am looking forward to seeing it animated!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's what you get with an ADD society. Probably they are also bitter about the fact that it isn't chock-a-block filled with fanservice.

As someone with ADHD, I resent your absurd implication that we are inherently shallow people. So how about you buzz off and stop spewing ignorant and hurtful comments, you insensitive twit?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, now the spotlight is on "You're My Brother, But That Doesn't Matter as Long as we Have Love!". This should be good.

Personally, I'm gonna watch it but I don't have any significant expectations for it. The animation looks above average though, and the main girl is good looking, so it shouldn't be terrible.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
In b4 all the disgusted reactions to OniAi.

Seriously, we can accept love between two guys or two girls, so why not two siblings? The title really says it all: so long as there's love that's all that matters.

Of course it seems like the dude isn't interested. Won't stop people from complaining.

I'll watch it because I like me some wincest Laughing
mad mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, another generic looking Incest/Harem show. Wheeeee...

There was never any chance I was going to watch this one, but I'm almost morbidly curious to know why we get exactly one of these every season. Do the studios get together and work out a schedule?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh boy, now the spotlight is on "You're My Brother, But That Doesn't Matter as Long as we Have Love!". This should be good.

You're not gonna get much of a reaction to me as I wouldn't even care to watch it other than to make these titles from light novels translated in english sound simpler, with a nicer ring to it maybe. I really don't think the delicate balance of "what makes money these days in the anime industry" will be forever corrupted if you make a shorter, but sweeter-sounding title.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
The brother sister incest harem show doesn't look particularly interesting to me. The only thing that really stood out was the fact that the character of Arashi apparently has both male and female lovers, as I've developed something of an interest in the portrayal of gay/lesbian/bisexual characters in anime. (And to be honest, I do like yuri apart from any intellectual reasons). That said, I somehow doubt that Arashi is going to be some groundbreaking or even particularly interesting portrayal of a bisexual, though I suppose I could be wrong, and there are probably much better sources of yuri fanservice if that's all I want.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Tempest Blast looks really promising.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Red hair and eyepatch are automatic likes for me, I'm all in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 39