• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Busters! Anime's Ads Aired Featuring Natsume Siblings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually no. The appeal of Key is typically the story. The exception is Kanon, the first game made by Key and by far the weakest. Even as a Key fan I have no idea why the Kanon (2006) anime is so popular with some people. It has no overarching story so I guess some people do just like the girls.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Actually no. The appeal of Key is typically the story. The exception is Kanon, the first game made by Key and by far the weakest. Even as a Key fan I have no idea why the Kanon (2006) anime is so popular with some people. It has no overarching story and I guess some people do just like the girls.

Its a combination, really. A large appeal is the characters, which is why they are very merchandise driven (a quick search of "Little Busters" on MyFigureCollection gives me over 800 results, which is about the same as Nanoha... and this is pre-Anime), but without the story to back it up as well, it wouldn't be as popular.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
This property is inscrutable to me. It's the damnedest thing, really. I've tried reading about it and I've watched this trailer, but although I can tell that it is on some level 'a big deal', I can't grasp why. Something about it is impossible for me to wrap my brain around. This isn't some noisome, "oh no, high school students and moeblobs again!," moan, it's the most oddly genuine bafflement. Whenever I attempt to learn anything about this, I might as well be reading VCR instructions in Sanskrit.

"What is Little Busters and why does anybody care?" is close to becoming an existential question.

And why do I always feel compelled to try to shout the title in the voice of Herb Muddlefoot from Darkwing Duck?

Questions, questions, questions...

The sheer number of dumb typographical errors and compositional missteps I've made in this one post is embarrassing.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This property is inscrutable to me. It's the damnedest thing, really. I've tried reading about it and I've watched this trailer, but although I can tell that it is on some level 'a big deal', I can't grasp why. Something about it is impossible for me to wrap my brain around. This isn't some noisome, "oh no, high school students and lolis again!," moan, it's the most oddly genuine bafflement. "What is Little Busters and why does anybody care," risks become an existential question.

And why do I always feel compelled to try to shout the title in the voice of Herb Muddlefoot from Darkwing Duck?

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian

Clannad After Story is the top rated anime on ANN... this is the next VN from the company that created Clannad.

Thats why its hyped. Oh, that and the VN was fan translated late last year and loved by nearly everyone whos played it since.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
And most people who play both it and clannad say LB is better.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
AxemRed wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:
If this turns out to only be like 24 episodes, it will probably be way too rushed. Clannad had around 50, and the Visual Novel was shorter than Little Busters.
For what it's worth, it took me 30-40 hours to finish Little Busters, and around 60 hours for Clannad.

Did you play the EX version? The script was nearly doubled in size, with three new routes and revisions of all the old routes.
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I think the Rin trailer just exploded my brain. Excuse me, I need to go find a mop....

*Cleans up*

Anyways, the more I see of this show in advertising the more I'm struggling to contain my excitement. I already woke the entire neighborhood within a 2k radius when I read the announcement. should be interesting to see what happens when it actually airs.

I don't know whether its just my computer or the video, but some of the animation seems, for lack of a better word, shoddy, like it dosent have all that many frames to it. Especially at 0:01 and 0:14, it's kind of flickery and if you pause it at the right time the characters get cut in half...

Even still, the story is front and center for this show so I would still watch it even if they were stick figures moving at a frame a second, because I LOVE THIS STORY!
eltonsu999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
^ The position of dumbass friend would go too masato but just cause of that doesn't make him bad infact he's one of the best characters in the VN for reasons i can't say without spoiling it.

He is actually my favourite male character in this visual novel for obvious reasons to those who played the visual novel. His whole character is just brilliant! Very Happy
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
"What is Little Busters and why does anybody care?" is close tobecoming an existential question.

It really is. You read the visual novel of just about any Key work and you get really emotional and stuff. And then you look back and try to put what you just read into words... and it's hard. Especially without making it sound cliche or spoiling the story. Why? Because... well... for one, you've just got a male character and a ton of female characters, and maybe some guys to spice up other parts of the story or atmosphere... and they're in a school or a similar setting... and several of them are overly timid or tsundere... and everything seems like it's been done a million times before... and you're just waiting for something to happen outside the (admittedly funny) comedy.

And then it happens. And you finally realize that all this "cute" or "tsundere" stuff has a meaning. And it's charming and emotional. And... well... that's about as far as I can explain without getting into actual plot points.

So I simply recommend you check it out and watch until the end. Will you enjoy everything about it? Not necessarily. But I definitely think it's worth a try. Emotional, powerful stories are just waiting to be told in every Key work, and if one of them doesn't catch your attention, usually another one does. If this anime adaption follows the trend in other Key-game-adapted anime, it'll likely go through one girl's route of the game (one of the girl cast's secret story) and then move onto another girl's route route, and so on, until they finally reach the main female character's route. I'll remain skeptical about the new animation studio until I see it, but I don't really think they can mess it up all that much. If they have to leave a character route out or something to make ends' meet, then so be it. It'll give reason for people who liked the anime to read the original visual novel.

Also, though I'm not sure how it'll go in this anime adaption, the music for the games and their anime counterparts is very, very good. Even if there are so many tracks, you forget all but the most prominent ones... they still carry a lot of the atmosphere and help make the stories more. Interestingly, the composer for the tracks is usually the same guy who writes most of the stories for the characters. Maeda Jun. =3
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:

I don't know whether its just my computer or the video, but some of the animation seems, for lack of a better word, shoddy, like it dosent have all that many frames to it. Especially at 0:01 and 0:14, it's kind of flickery and if you pause it at the right time the characters get cut in half...

Thats a screwup by whoever encoded the video for release on the internet, not an animation error.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Maeda onIy wrote rins two routes,refrain and the male characters however refrain is regarded as his best work by far and when i played it in the VN i couldnt stop crying. Damn you maeda Anime cry.
AxemRed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Did you play the EX version? The script was nearly doubled in size, with three new routes and revisions of all the old routes.
No. Is there any indication the anime will cover the new routes?
eltonsu999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
AxemRed wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I'm pretty sure Saya appeared in the first PV though I'm not too sure if it was just to attract fans or if they are actually going to include EX stuff.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
AxemRed wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Currently its unknown but they might mix one of the EX routes into a normal arc (harukas/kanatas) and im pretty confident they will have sayas route as a OVA in the last dvd/blu ray just because of how famous her arc is for having maeda write it.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This property is inscrutable to me. It's the damnedest thing, really. I've tried reading about it and I've watched this trailer, but although I can tell that it is on some level 'a big deal', I can't grasp why. Something about it is impossible for me to wrap my brain around. This isn't some noisome, "oh no, high school students and moeblobs again!," moan, it's the most oddly genuine bafflement. Whenever I attempt to learn anything about this, I might as well be reading VCR instructions in Sanskrit.

"What is Little Busters and why does anybody care?" is close to becoming an existential question.

The sheer number of dumb typographical errors and compositional missteps I've made in this one post is embarrassing.

Key writes some of the best slice of life scenarios I've ever seen in anime/visual novels. It's their strength, and you can expect to see it in this series. Little Busters at its core is probably a coming of age story, but it reminds you that it's ok to be a kid...even when you're all grown up. Go poke your head onto youtube and look for the visual novel's opening video, I think that will give you a pretty good idea/tone to look forward to.

Why does anybody care? Well...you'll just have to see for yourself. A lot of people (including myself) engage in this work for the emotional roller coaster and laughs you'll probably experience.

Again, this is assuming the animated version is even 50% remotely similar to the eroge format.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3