• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
King of Thorn (movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's hard to say, I wasn't fully engrossed in the feature while I watched it, I didn't particularly care for any of the characters, and I feel like I've seen this situation before. Perhaps I'll need to give it a rewatch, but I just wasn't impressed or floored, by it or totally turned off either.

I agree that the characters weren't memorable. The lead has to carry much of the film and she isn't interesting enough for the task. Another problem is that I think it had too many climaxes towards the end, if that makes sense. It got a bit wearing. All the same, I think its other qualities - the atmosphere, the artwork, the various twists - make it deserving of a good rating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Squid boat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I blind bought it as well and loved it. There are, as others have mentioned, multiple climaxes, but I wasn't turned off by it at all. It was definitely a little bit of a mindf*** towards the end.

Definitely worth watching.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Squid boat wrote:
I blind bought it as well and loved it. There are, as others have mentioned, multiple climaxes, but I wasn't turned off by it at all. It was definitely a little bit of a mindf*** towards the end.

Definitely worth watching.

Ditto that for me.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I just watched this with its English dub as FUNIMation has made that available online for this weekend. I come away ambivalent.

There's a rollicking good yarn here; a simple science-fiction adventure film that's easy to watch and enjoy a little. It even has a few neat things tucked in. (I even liked spoiler[the twist ending]) The problem is that it has an abundance of flaws that just keep it down.

The characters seldom reached me; they leaned heavily on archetypes, some of them pretty obnoxious, and were often disposed of too quickly and unceremoniously to have any effect. They were assigned some supposedly very intense personal qualities, but never got to use them to make me care. Much of the cast seemed like bare narrative tools; not characters. The lead and the one member of the cast whom she develops entirely likely unlikely camaraderie turned out likeable enough, but in this kind of film, as long as it's not completely incompetent, they usually will.

And one of the characters is a kid who won't shut up about his goddamned video game, contrived reason his behavior or not. I hate kids in anime; I really do. (That's why I like Wandering Son, the characters are all kids, but the creator spares us from making them act conspicuously like children. By the way, you can subscribe the next three volumes for a discount; I highly suggest that you do. Don't make me beg)

The structure and editing seemed a little funny too. In at least two cases, characters seemed to have been moved into place for convenience without the film giving how they got there enough consequence. The characters also seemed oddly untroubled about one or two questions as to just what the Hell was going on. They weren't in position to get an answer, mind you, but I would have liked them to at least ask.

And the bracelets were strangely underutilized. They could have been a hand dramatic device, but they were almost forgotten not long after they were introduced. I wonder if they even bothered to draw them in all of the scenes...

The FUNIMation dub seems like it should be competent, but outside of being comfortable in saying that Brina Palencia did well, as she usually does, I feel ill-equipped to judge as many of the cast have accents and I have been trained to believe that American actors cannot possibly produce an acceptable accent, but don't actually know. (I thought that one of the characters was meant to be Australian, but he was evidently British)

It looked pretty good, although the design work and animation were more respectably workmanlike than striking or impressive. Some of the animation seemed like well-disguised computer work rather than 'hand-drawn'.

A serviceable 'passing some free hours' film that I don't regret watching, but not one for the ages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2