• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Essential Graphic Novels for Public Libraries

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:46 am Reply with quote
From Hell
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Sandman
Rising Stars
Midnight Nation
Lone Wolf & Cub
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
Sin City Series
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Kingdom Come
Vagabond
Blade of the Immortal
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:47 am Reply with quote
What if your library got a subscription to Shonen Jump or Animerica Extra? My local library doesn't keep magazines after a year. Since those magazines are anthologies they would need to be kept and bound, right? (Is anthologies the right word?) How much does it cost a library to bind stuff?

Also, has your library tried to writing the manga companies and asking for donations from Viz and TokyoPop and all the others? Embarassed Okay, maybe that's a little strange but it can't hurt.
herbkir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
You should include the Inuyasha manga in your collection, but know that it's not a completed series yet. The first 15 volumes have been translated, with more on the way, but the entire series is up to Vol. 33 and still running. Viz Media has committed to translating the entire manga and is in the process of doing so. Vols. run about $10 apiece. See www.viz.com for info on which volumes of Inu are availabie. Viz also handles other manga series, so check their Web site for what's available. Maybe they'll have special deals for libraries. It would make sense for manga publishers to do so, simply to increase public awareness of this storytelling form.
I've also seen Star Wars graphic novels out, but they are full-color tomes and are pricier than the B&W manga. It's too bad that the original USA graphic novel series isn't around anymore. Anyone remember "Classics Illustrated," which were classic works of fictional literature like "Treaure Island," "Kidnapped," "Oliver Twist" etc. rendered in comic book form. Some of them were really good interpretations of the books. With graphic novels catching on, someone might want to revive the old Classics Illustrated, assuming they can find who may hold the rights. (^_*)
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:01 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Anyone remember "Classics Illustrated," which were classic works of fictional literature like "Treaure Island," "Kidnapped," "Oliver Twist" etc. rendered in comic book form. Some of them were really good interpretations of the books. With graphic novels catching on, someone might want to revive the old Classics Illustrated, assuming they can find who may hold the rights. (^_*)

That is so neat! I never knew that people published the classic stories as comic books! When I read your post I headed over to ebay and half.com and found quite a few of those books and for rather cheap. Maybe I'll pick some up. That's a great edition to my collection! Thanks so much!
Delthayre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:51 am Reply with quote
I used to have my Dad's old copy of Classics Illustrated: The Oddysee, but I threw it away a while ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2