• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Aniplex of America Announces the Garden of Sinners Limited Edition DVD Box Set Details and Relea

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Bamm!!

I am usually a big proponent of Aniplex USA pricing, but $149 for 8 subbed movies in DVD is kind of high. I wonder if it will sell out like the original BD set did.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am usually a big proponent of Aniplex USA pricing, but $149 for 8 subbed movies in DVD is kind of high.

Still a far more reasonable price than the original Blu-Ray set, especially considering all the goodies coming with it and the design they're putting into the box itself.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it the very second after I heard this announcement. All I have to say is--about freaking time. It may not be blu-ray, but as a Type-Moon fan I seriously can't wait to check this out.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
it costs a few dollars extra per disc to release something on blu-ray
this clearly is an attempt against progress in the anime industry
I am going to have to put aniplex on a 'no-buy' list and rethink my bakemonogatari purchase. This is also the first I realized aniplex was owned by Sony.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many people who forked out for the Blu-Rays will now be regretting their decision.

My guess is hardly anyone, but you never know.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I might be the only who doesn't care about all the extras. I just want the actual films. I have a friend who really likes Type-Moon artwork and she complained about lacking anything related to KnK so I might just order it and keep the DVDs for myself and give her the artwork and stuff.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, at that price I may actually consider.

It's something I really don't care about, but just for the sake of curiosity, can anyone tell me if there's a significant differance in quality between the DVD and Blu-ray?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I might be the only who doesn't care about all the extras. I just want the actual films. I have a friend who really likes Type-Moon artwork and she complained about lacking anything related to KnK so I might just order it and keep the DVDs for myself and give her the artwork and stuff.

Just wait for the non-limited edition to come out onto the market, it'll be cheaper that way if you just want the movies and don't care about the extras.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Lets see what I'm buying. . .

Bakemonagatari LEs - ~$150
2 figurines - ~$110
A dakimakura cover and pillow - ~$65

Now I need to add this to that list. Well, there goes about 5 weeks of part-time work.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
$150 for a DVD only release? Pass. I'd happily pay that price for a Blu Ray release, but I'm not paying that price for a DVD release.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the people begging AoA to release this on DVD. I was at the announcement of the DVD, and cheered louder than anyone else.

And I'm currently questing to find fansubs. Considering that, what, one or two of the movies is even an hour long? $50, maybe. But three times that? Oh hell no, and I've already told Aniplex that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

Just wait for the non-limited edition to come out onto the market, it'll be cheaper that way if you just want the movies and don't care about the extras.

that's always a double-edged sword however with small companies like aniplex usa. I really think if the demand for oremio wasn't there they wouldn't have bothered doing a re-release at all. so we need support and get others to buy/support these limited editions so that average anime consumer can afford said media "if what I'm saying makes any damn sense".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused as to why this DVD LE is being offered at the same price as the Bakemonogatari BD LE. I will never understand AoA pricing pattern.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I already regretted not getting the BD boxset so I won't make that mistake twice. Besides, the packaging is absolutely gorgeous; it makes the BD box look cheap and flimsy. This will be an excellent Christmas present for myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a bit confused as to why this DVD LE is being offered at the same price as the Bakemonogatari BD LE. I will never understand AoA pricing pattern.

530 minutes of run-time versus 375 minutes of run-time.

Also, Type-Moon.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I'd say it's pretty easy: push the price point to the absolute highest level they can reach while selling the number of product they've projected to sell. In other words: gouge the buyer.

A subbed-only product with a greatly inflated price? Uh, no. I'd like to own this (and I can do without all the extras), but $150 for something that's not even dubbed? Not for me. Oh, well. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5