• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
But in direct response to your comment, bad anatomy and stylization are not the same thing. Have you ever heard the saying, "You have to know the rules to break them"? Never has that been more true than when it is applied to art. Things like getting the position of the muscles wrong in the shoulders or drawing a woman's breasts as originating from the collar bone have nothing to do with attempting to increase the character's sex appeal. It's an issue with the underlying structure of the drawing, suggesting that either the artist doesn't know their basics very well, or they just don't care.

Thank you very much for your post. It's very welcome to hear from somebody level-headed who knows what she's talking about. (It's also part of the central thesis of Escher Girls, which I get the feeling a few people here might be familiar with) I think that it gets to a possibly overlooked reason for many complaints against certain show, a dearth of talent or effort that's bother deterring and disheartening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:

Man look at those eyes and arms and that body shape.

I think it's merely proof that America has never actually seen a real dog's body in their entire lives Laughing
opn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
And at long last we find out about K's story and its just as people predicted. It sounds interesting with a lot of potential. Plus it has godly production values....yet we still dont know who the writers are...and theres been this weird rumor that the DRRR/baccano creator narita is the main writer...we'll see though.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
A joker who goes around asking for his schoolmates to share their lunch with him.

Perhaps it's just a result of the grossly low standards set by most male protagonists these days, but just hearing a description that includes some vague semblance of personality gives me quite a lot of enthusiasm for this show...

ANN wrote:
A mysterious girl who appears before Shiro. She hates wearing clothes.

...and there it goes.

Well, whatever. This whole project really screams "designed by committee" anyway. The premise is more than a little generic and they seem to be trying to hit every note and appeal to every group out there a little bit. Also, there are apparently three different directors (and a whole collective of writers). All in all, it's just intriguing enough that I might still watch an episode but regardless, my expectations will remain quite low.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well I've always been a sucker for psychic power stories, and this one has music by angela and a cute loli too! I'll check it out.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
Well with any luck, maybe K will be more than just..... okay.

/FACE-PAWNCHED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Well it's GoHands, so it's going to look fabulous, and sound it was well with that voice cast.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Well it's GoHands, so it's going to look fabulous

It could indeed look fabulous, but the two shows I know by GoHands, Seitokai Yakuindomo and Princess Lover, were not at all visually impressive. And those are really the only two TV anime that GoHands has done. The rest of their work are the Mardock Scramble movies, the as-close-to-hentai-as-it-gets Asa Made Jugyou Chu, and some random 3 minute shorts based off of some Russian character.

Pretty perplexed why you would say that when there are many more studios with a far more impressive body-of-work for visual quality.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
ANN wrote:
A mysterious girl who appears before Shiro. She hates wearing clothes.

...and there it goes.

I actually had high hopes for this show. Bummer. I'll still check it out but my enthusiasm has been dampened.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
K is totally going to end up being a DRRR sidestory.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote

Thats the picture for Neko from the official K website. While the rest of the series seems to scream fujoshi, they obviously wanted to add a character to get guys to watch it.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Thank you very much for your post. It's very welcome to hear from somebody level-headed who knows what she's talking about. (It's also part of the central thesis of Escher Girls, which I get the feeling a few people here might be familiar with) I think that it gets to a possibly overlooked reason for many complaints against certain show, a dearth of talent or effort that's bother deterring and disheartening.

You caught me! xD Escher Girls is one of my favorite blogs. They have a great sense of humor about everything, and the redraws are really cool. Thank you for the kind words, though I think you're assuming way too much when you suggest that I ever have any idea what I'm talking about! xD Seriously though, it's always nice to find someone who recognizes the difference between stylization and not knowing how to draw. I think it's a very important distinction to make.

K sounds fun, but it could really go either way at this point...The premise sounds a bit generic, but also like it could be really interesting, especially with such a wide assortment of characters. Unless it gets really good reviews, I think it'll stay in my "watch it if I get time" category.

Animerican14 wrote:
Well with any luck, maybe K will be more than just..... okay.

/FACE-PAWNCHED

I enjoyed that pun. Thank you for that. Cheesy puns=best thing.
Animefangirl-21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for K to start up , from all the PV's I've seen it looks like it'll be really interesting . This anime reminds alot of Durarara , both in ways it's trying to appeal to both genders and in the description .
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

In the 1000+ anime I've seen I've never encountered a girl with no personality (unless that itself was a trait). People always complain about one note personalities or whatever but they usually judge that on first impression. Even in real life you'll only get one or two aspects of a person you've just met. You gotta get to know them and you'll see that there's a lot more to them than initially appeared.

Hope ya still feel, like, the same way when ya meet, like, a "valley girl." Laughing
totoum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Pretty perplexed why you would say that when there are many more studios with a far more impressive body-of-work for visual quality.

Because Mardock Scramble,their most recent work that has some staff in common with K, looks great,and this looks very visually similar to Mardock scramble (especially the color scheme).

Also Gohands is made up of former Satelight members and satelight has made some good looking shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 39