• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inuyasha: The Final Act's English Dub Previewed in Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's like I'm back in high school watching this 12-2 in the morning. *Oh, nostalgia~*
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Wasn't really expecting much from Tozer's Kagome, but it was quite decent! Hopefully Sesshomaru's new voice will follow suit.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Ah, it's been far too long since I have heard from the gang and with the exception of Kagome, everyone else sounds the same and it feels as if I have never left! Even if they still pronounced Kagome wrong but who cares! Oh, how I missed you Inuyasha!

As for the new actress playing Kagome, it still feels jarring that Monica Stori isn't back and it would definitely take getting use to her but she's not bad!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of this series in English!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
Tozer's Kagome sounds a lot older than the previous actress Monica Stori, which makes sense in one aspect. She also reminds me of Cristina Vee.

I have only limited knowledge of Canadian voice acting, and it's mostly limited to Death Note, Black Lagoon, and MLP.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Although the new Kagome is VERY, VERY close, it is not as good as I would have wished. Wished, being the original. Although her voice is close, her acting is very different and not as solid.

Still looking forward to picking this up on DVD... AKA, getting my mom to bring it to Japan for me.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Not overly thrilled by Kagome's new voice, but then her voice was the only thing I enjoyed consistently from her before now, so hopefully the two will mesh better over time and The Final Act will be really great. Even if I'm not used to it now, if the acting's good I doubt I'll have any complaints in the future.

It's a weird blast of nostalgia watching this and listening to the returning cast. Anime catgrin
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Wow, it's like I'm back in high school watching this 12-2 in the morning. *Oh, nostalgia~*

The prevailing emotion will be one of nostalgia, combined, with a sense of bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
Well it's not that Sesshomaru has too much dialogue so it won't be easy to notice the change Laughing
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
I have been waiting for this!!!!!!
For so looooooong!

I loved this show! Was one of the first things that got me into anime in the first place! (or, rather, one of the first things that tipped me off to what anime even was...)
I have been waiting every day since the new season came out to see this dubbed.. and, while i'm a little iffy on Kagome's new VA (totally wish she still had her old one) I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time~

I hope Anime cry .

I also hope any and all other new VAs come out fairly good and is atleast fairly close to the old ones.
Nonetheless, SO SO happy right now Anime hyper !

Totally thrilled!

SO can not wait to watch this!

Guh! Still so happy Very Happy !
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Oh God its so good to hear this again Anime smile That made me happy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
So easy to tell when there's a new VA -- they always sound like they're trying too hard. <.>;;
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
.... hell me the dark knight crying of tears of joy?? damn that was pretty nice oh the nostalgia. Hell I'll give it up to Kira Tozer for doing a decent job with kagome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
I am not trying to sound snarky, I'm just curious. Didn't it seem to take a long time for this to come out dubbed? I know Viz snapped the license up for it right away. Does Viz usually take this long to dub things or did something else get in the way? Once again, I'm very happy that this is coming out. Just wondering if there's a story behind it...
Mogtaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So easy to tell when there's a new VA -- they always sound like they're trying too hard. <.>;;

There's seriously a good explanation for this.

What the VAs are trying to do is they're trying to blend into their predecessor's vocals before gradually phasing out of them, usually through 2-5 episodes depending on the length of the anime. I guess a very good example is the way Mike Pollock used Sonic X to immitate the now deceased Deem Bristow for the first 10 episodes (he says, because they wanted somebody who sounded as close to Deem as possible) before finding his niche. Christopher Sabat also did it when doing the voices in DBZ just when Ocean ran out of it, he imitated for a few episodes before finding his niche.

Used Mike Pollock as an example because I remember him saying it in an interview about voice acting. It's a nerve thing mostly, but also the producers telling them to alter their voices before they gradually find the best voice.

Last edited by Mogtaki on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I am not trying to sound snarky, I'm just curious. Didn't it seem to take a long time for this to come out dubbed? I know Viz snapped the license up for it right away. Does Viz usually take this long to dub things or did something else get in the way? Once again, I'm very happy that this is coming out. Just wondering if there's a story behind it...

Yes they do. Be happy it only took a few years. Viz media division is extremely slow and bad at putting out anime. Still waiting for the rest of Monster and that was what 2005? All of the anime is dubbed and aired on TV yet only I think the first 15 episodes out of a 74 episode series has been released and that was ages ago.

It really is hopeless to try and understand what they do and why. I really think Viz try to put effort into not making sales at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3