• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Films Confirmed to Run 130 & 109 Minutes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
How can they cram all the stuff from the series into one movie, and then into another?
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
130 + 109 = 239 minutes
12 episodes x 24 minutes = 288 minutes

I guess I could see them cutting out around 50 minutes of the series in total. But just about every scene in each of the episodes were important though, so I don't know what they are going to do. I was expecting each movie to be around 100 minutes though, so i'm pretty happy that not nearly as much as I was expecting will be cut.
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
130 + 109 = 239 minutes
12 episodes x 24 minutes = 288 minutes

I guess I could see them cutting out around 50 minutes of the series in total. But just about every scene in each of the episodes were important though, so I don't know what they are going to do. I was expecting each movie to be around 100 minutes though, so i'm pretty happy that not nearly as much as I was expecting will be cut.

Keep in mind that every ep of the TV show also had opening and closing which would cut roughly 3 minutes out of each episode, or 252 minutes of actual show based on your estimates, giving them more wiggle room for editing. Plus the opening of every episode usually did spend some time kind of summing up the closing events of the previous episode.

In any case there's not much reason to speculate too much at this point. The movies may end up being superior. Or not. Who knows, judge for yourself and all that.

For some reason I was under the thinking that there were THREE movies and not just two? Or is my mind playing tricks on me? Better check the ANN encyclopedia again...
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:

For some reason I was under the thinking that there were THREE movies and not just two? Or is my mind playing tricks on me? Better check the ANN encyclopedia again...

There are three movies, but unlike the first two movies, the third movie is not a recap. It's a sequel... of some sort. It's apparently not going to be released at the same time as the first two movies, though, and there are no real details about what it will be like yet.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow all the show in 2 easy movies
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I would love to go see these sadly all the showings are to far away from my humble abode, oh well guess i'll just wait for Aniplex to release the Blu-Rays (which hopefully will be hyb dub/sub releases like the TV series)
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow all the show in 2 easy movies

With a runtime nearly as long as the series itself Laughing

With this one, it all comes down to how well edited they are, so it could be anywhere from the definitive version of the story to a mere footnote. Though I do expect some changes, since they'll need more sequel hooks for the third movie.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
It's nice to hear the total run of those films is nearly as much as the original series, no reason to cut things too much Very Happy

Specially cool with a series like this, with every minute being as important as the last.

@ Gsilver: I don't think they'd need to edit the original material all that much. The very end of the series always felt kind of a cliffhanger to mespoiler[ (With Homura using her new powers while talking to Kyuube and stuff)]. They'd just need to add a new frame showing some rare location in danger or Madoka spoiler[reappearing again in physical form] and I'll be tuned for the third film Razz .
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
The main thing I would like to know about the movies is will they be dubbed. Which I guess boils down to if they are new animation or not. Because if it's just re edited footage of the TV series then the dub already would work for that I would imagine. I watched the trailer and to be honest I couldn't tell if it was new animation or not. Partly because I had watched it in low quality and partly because I haven't seen in the series in awhile and it still looks pretty good in my head.

I just don't want Aniplex pulling another Gurren Lagann. They released the series dubbed so to should they release the movies that way.

However these being compilation movies it would not be to big of a deal if they were not dubbed. The 3rd one is where it's at for me. Although if that comes out and doesn't do the series justice I could just skip but I'm expecting good things.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
It's far too early to say they won't be dubbed, but I suspect a dubbed version won't be shown in theaters, unless AUSA gets ballsy enough to do something of a general release.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
It's far too early to say they won't be dubbed, but I suspect a dubbed version won't be shown in theaters, unless AUSA gets ballsy enough to do something of a general release.

They've already confirmed in past articles that the theater screenings will be Japanese dialogue with subtitles.

Can't wait to go, already got my tickets ordered.

LOL, when I told my(non-anime watching) wife, who is going with me, that it was gonna be 4 hrs(I'm assuming, plus an intermission), she was like "OMG, why did I agree to go to that"...
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
So no info on the third movie's run time? I'm personally not really interested in those first two, so I can't wait until we get more information on the "sequel".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:

They've already confirmed in past articles that the theater screenings will be Japanese dialogue with subtitles.

Can't wait to go, already got my tickets ordered.

LOL, when I told my(non-anime watching) wife, who is going with me, that it was gonna be 4 hrs(I'm assuming, plus an intermission), she was like "OMG, why did I agree to go to that"...

Which? Go to that movie with you, or go down the aisle? Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
So no info on the third movie's run time? I'm personally not really interested in those first two, so I can't wait until we get more information on the "sequel".
We don't even know what quarter they plan to release it in. It's gonna be a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1