• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online DVD Rental Outlets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I just joined Rentanime.com and I haven't had very good service I joined them almost a week ago and I haven't gotten a single dvd tomorrow will be four days since it got shipped to me. Has anyone else joined this site? If so please tell me if this is normal.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying a free trial at rentanime.com

As a former Netflix costumer I'm a bit disappointed. Its been 4 days and still have not received a DVD. They have a limited amount of anime for a specific rental service the just rents anime its very lacking in a lot of anime! After about a month or so if I decide to keep my subscription I wont know what else to rent since there really is not much that is available that i have not seen or dont own already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Rentanime comes out of Tampa Fl...
And has similar colored envelopes compared with Netflix. I usually get things in Texas in 3 to 4 days mail transit time. But more often than I care to have, I get 7 to 10 day mail transit times.
I think my Rentanime discs are ending up routed to a Netflix hub where they sit for several days.
It blows, but unlike Netflix, they do have all the anime releases including Hentai.
And let me tell you, if you thought blind buying normal anime was bad, just try buying a few H titles blind.
Magnab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand what's up with rentanime I was with them for a couple of months and ended up leaving them for animelane. I live about 4 hrs away from rentanime and still it would take 4-5 days to receive dvds from them and then another 3-5 days for them to receive dvds from me and there was even a period when it would always take a week to get to me and a week to get to them! twice it even took 9 days to reach me
when I called and complained they said it was the post office but after that phone call it never took a week again but by then I stared looking for other companies and found animelane and I have to say they are way better than rentanime they are in CA and I'm in FL but even so I get my dvds faster in 2-3 days....both rentanime and animelane would ship at the same time and I would end up getting animelane before I got rentanime. I kept both accounts for 2 months before I canceled rentanime and so far I have no regrets. I also forgot to mention animelane has a feature called self return you can have your next shipment sent to you while you're sending back the one you already have I love this feature.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Must be some guy in his basement thats sending these out. There is no exscuse that it should take that long at all! They have great customer service but god they are sooo slow. For as much as they charge and with as little catalog that they have and the random selection on volumes and lack of new titles and full series. Rentanime just seems Like a joke at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:25 am Reply with quote
Animelane seems really sketchy to me. Alongside their rentals, they have illegal streams and encourage you to donate to those streaming sites. I certainly would not feel comfortable doing business with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Obviously things have changed within the two years that have gone by since the last post.

Netflix was going to split into two companies (Netflix for streams & Quickster for DVDs/Blu-Rays & Games). Obviously that got cancelled.

Now Netflix offers a couple of different packages.

DVD only starting at $4.99 a month (very limited to only 3 movies a month) to $12.95 for two discs at a time (unlimited).

Steaming plus DVD starting at $7.99 a month IIRC.
There are options of up to 4 DVDs at a time.
Blu-Ray is an option, but not sure what the cost is.

The DVD selection is still pretty good, though they rarely get anything new until a few months later. With a few exceptions like Redline & Professor Layton were available within a week of their release.

They have a ton of older OOP stuff, mostly Pioneer/Bandai.
Though sometimes there are really long waits, or the disc is missing.

The instant thing is mostly Funimation stuff (with a few others thrown in).

Been with Netflix for a few years (off & on) never really had any major issues besides the lack of some discs. On occasion they did send the 2nd disc of something that had a wait on the first disc.

As for semi-adult stuff, they had the edited version of Mezzo.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I am giving strong consideration to dropping RentAnime -- their delivery times and receiving times are just too long. Does anyone have any experience with the other rental companies?
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Only used Netflix, so I will promote them:

Pretty decent turn-around time when getting a new disc.
Usually within 1-2 business days (yes they deliver on Saturday).

Though if you live way out in the middle of nowhere, it's probably really slow. However if you live in a major city, then it will be fast.
Bonus if you live near multiple major cities, it really speeds up the process.

If they can't get a disc to you within your area, they will ship it from another part of the country. Then they send you the next title on your list (from a different show). So if you have that happen, sometimes you get a bonus disc.

Like I said in the earlier post, they have loads of older stuff (usually 2006 and below). Plus they seem to have the original versions of them.
This does cause some issues with missing discs/series that later got a re-release.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I am giving strong consideration to dropping RentAnime -- their delivery times and receiving times are just too long. Does anyone have any experience with the other rental companies?

I was with them for a bit, but stopped after my mother had to replace the AC unit (was using her card), but it takes so damn long because they're all the way in FL. They only ship from there, so it will take 3-5 days to get it to you. if I had a job, I would do the highest package they have. They're a good place, seeing as they handle in just anime, but yes, the shipping is slow. But they're like the best for renting anime.

Clearly, the only best way to watch anime, besides renting, is to stream it though the normal sites that have it. Funimation, Sentai's site, CrunchyRoll, Viz, and whatever else is out there.

EricDent wrote:
Only used Netflix, so I will promote them

Netflix also lacks a lot of anime, they're not the best place for renting it. Maybe for everything else, but not anime.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
EricDent & Vata Raven--

Thanks for the feedback; unfortunately for me, my internet connection just plain SUCKS (It is a lousy four times dial-up bit rate!), so streaming is not a viable option. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

By the way, does anyone know if the list in the first post is up to date? At least one of the links is dead.....
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Per st owly's suggestion (thanks) I'm also posting here my horrible experience with RentAnime.

They have given me the silent treatment while still charging my credit card each month. Completely unacceptable.

Don't buy into their scam. They claim to have a 2 week trial period but when they say they've sent your checked out disk you don't get it until 2 weeks or more later at which time your credit card is already charged.

Absolutely foul business practices. Avoid them at all costs.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I, too, ended up dropping Rent Anime.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I tried the links in the opening post, mostly out of curiosity, and it looks like Netflix and possibly Rent Anime are the only ones still in the rental business.

I wonder if a moderator might edit the opening post?
Or perhaps just unpin this thread and let it die a natural death?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
^
done
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6