• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime aesthetics.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semsnake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
This is my first time posting here, so I am not aware on whether or not this topic has been discussed before and can't seem to find any related thread about this topic in this forum. But here it goes.

Do you feel like the anime aesthetics are becoming repetitive or dull?
If so, state your reasons and give us a few examples.

Should the artists take more liberties and stray from the standard artstyle currently in mainstream animes?

Do you have an examples of artstyles that should get their chances on the front?

What do you generally feel about today's anime aesthetics?

Too lazy to answer my thoughts(sorry?)
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I can see where you're coming from but I liked most of today's way of animation. Now ofcourse there are animation styles I like more than others.

For example, fate/stay night unlimited blade works in my opinion had some of the best animation I've EVER seen. Where as The Third The girl with the Blue eyes had okay animation same as Linebarrels of iron.

I'm a huge fan of slick modern CG animation Very Happy While I'm not completely opposed to hand-drawn cells, I do dislike most of them. The exception being Princess Mononoke which is probably my favourite animated film.
semsnake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Though what kind of artstyles turn you off?

[EDIT: No need to excessively quote. Only quote if you're referring to a particular part of a user's comments or if the user is further up the page. Otherwise, just reply directly (in which your reply will most likely appear right underneath theirs), or put "@user" at the beginning of your post. This will help keep the thread to look a little cleaner and less cluttered. Thanks. -TK]
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Aesthetics are one of my favorite things about anime, so I'll say no. All the stuff I'm watching has unique, distinctive art styles which I enjoy.

The only aesthetics I dislike are CG and Flash animation, but anime tends to stay away from those for the most part. Though CG can be nice if done well, like the recent Biohazard: Damnation movie; though given it's based on a video game, CG fits it so it can match the games.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
semsnake, being "too lazy" to answer your own questions is no excuse. Giving such answers is expected for people who initiate threads by asking questions. Threads that don't do that tend to get locked.

That being said, I find no problem with current anime design aesthetics. Styles are varied enough across the spectrum of anime titles that no one style predominates (although some styles are, admittedly, more common than others) and everyone should be able to find something that suits his/her tastes. I have noticed a fairly common background art aesthetic in building designs amongst series set in ordinary modern-day settings, one that resembles the look and feel of backgrounds seen in VNs and ero games, but that's the closest to a common aesthetic I've seen in the last few years.

In fact, I would daresay that anime aesthetics vary more now than they did in any previous time period. (Either that or the titles from earlier periods that persist tend to have more commonality in artistic design elements.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Aesthetics are the last thing on my mind when I'm watching, personally, and not at all important. Even if the show looks horrendous it doesn't effect the story which is of much greater significance. For instance Kemonozume and Redline are two that I found aesthetically displeasing but yet rated them very highly.

Still there are styles that I like much more than others. Basically, the closer to looking the most "realistic" the better and the more warped examples are those which I would find displeasing.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
For example, fate/stay night unlimited blade works in my opinion had some of the best animation I've EVER seen.

And Fate/Zero had the best animation of any anime SHOW I've ever seen...
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
semsnake--
  1. Welcome to the fora; I hope that you enjoy yourself here.
  2. Proper etiquette here requires that you answer your own posed questions. Cool Key did not write that just for the hell of it. Wink
  3. Just out of curiosity (and I do not mean to imply anything by this question), is English your first language?
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
manicli wrote:
For example, fate/stay night unlimited blade works in my opinion had some of the best animation I've EVER seen.

And Fate/Zero had the best animation of any anime SHOW I've ever seen...

I wouldn't go as far as to say best animation I've ever seen but definitely among the top 10. I would think the production values of that show were extremely high. The graphics/animation was absolutely stunning. I would really love to own the show on BD but the price tag would mean starvation for me that or I'd have to take one less course on my university this year Razz
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
[*]Just out of curiosity (and I do not mean to imply anything by this question), is English your first language?
[/list]

It's confusing that there's no real English equivalent for what "aesthetics" are, even though the word frequently shows up in translated text.
Unless, of course, he's discussing the aesthetics of a rogue hero... Wink
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Perhaps you find the "aesthetics" too similar because you watch shows in just a few genres. Lately I've been impressed with the background art in some of Satelight's recent shows like Ikoku Meiro no Croisee and AKB0048. Satelight now has a team of French illustrators that worked on both these shows who have a strong eye for architecture and design.

No one could say that Lupin III/Mine Fujiko looks much like the rest of recent anime either. Partly that is because the show comes from the decades-old Lupin III franchise, but the modernization of that style made Fujiko very distinctive. It's the first release by studio Po10tial, and it looks like they could live up to their name.

Some other recent shows that I think look rather different from most modern anime are Sakamichi no Apollon, which took a highly realistic approach, productions by Shinbo Akiyuki and Studio SHAFT like Madoka Magica and Bakemonogatari, and Yondemasu-yo, Azazel-san with its chibi demons. noitaminA shows often have distinctive aesthetics. Look at the Spring, 2010, pairing of Sarai-ya Goyou and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei for examples.
semsnake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
semsnake--
  1. Welcome to the fora; I hope that you enjoy yourself here.
  2. Proper etiquette here requires that you answer your own posed questions. Cool Key did not write that just for the hell of it. Wink
  3. Just out of curiosity (and I do not mean to imply anything by this question), is English your first language?

No, English is not my first language. I am aware of the horrible structure and problematic grammar, it was mainly due to the situation I was in during the writing.

Concerning the whole "answer your own question" thing, I did not think of it as a requirement but oh well.

While not as experienced on anime as you people most likely are, I do find the current state of anime aesthetics, while beneficial with its simplicity, to be ultimately unfavorable. I rather prefer when artists create their own types of art styles that aren't necessarily influenced by mainstream anime. It's a bold statement, and I am open to be proven otherwise, but I have formed this opinion solely based on my observations.

Now that I have answered my own question, I do hope more of you will dig a little deeper on this topic.

Also, I should read the forum rules to avoid future mistakes.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
nbahn wrote:
[*]Just out of curiosity (and I do not mean to imply anything by this question), is English your first language?
[/list]

It's confusing that there's no real English equivalent for what "aesthetics" are, even though the word frequently shows up in translated text.

I must confess that I am not quite certain as to what you exactly mean.
For example:
semsnake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
EricJ wrote:
nbahn wrote:
[/list]

I must confess that I am not quite certain as to what you exactly mean.
For example:

First one Smile . Though you can replace it with something along side of; visual representation of art and emotions. Something that compliments the product's use of visuals. I don't really know how to explain it.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
semsnake wrote:
No, English is not my first language. I am aware of the horrible structure and problematic grammar, it was mainly due to the situation I was in during the writing.

Actually, your English is pretty good. I didn't see any major problems with it.

Quote:
While not as experienced on anime as you people most likely are, I do find the current state of anime aesthetics, while beneficial with its simplicity, to be ultimately unfavorable. I rather prefer when artists create their own types of art styles that aren't necessarily influenced by mainstream anime. It's a bold statement, and I am open to be proven otherwise, but I have formed this opinion solely based on my observations.

In other words, you're looking for more experimental art styles. Some of that does appear every year, but anime being a commercial product naturally limits how frequently it occurs.

And, frankly, I'm fine with it not happening frequently. As much as fans complain about lack of originality in anime, most actually don't want series with original styles all of the time. Also, I often find very unconventional art styles to be aesthetically repugnant; just because something is an original art style does not automatically mean that it's good.

And concerning aesthetics not translating well, which was brought up by another poster: It's an English word with a specific and fairly well-known meaning. It doesn't need to be translated.

Last edited by Key on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3