• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Way to go. I never had those boxes. I already had all the singles then and wasn't into replacement yet. I later gave the singles away when I got the compressed sets.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Alan45! I didn't know these premium boxes even existed until a few days ago. I had intended to get the complete series set which is currently going for $120 at TRSI at some point in the future, but I'm prepared to pay extry to get the purty boxes...

...anyway, sure hope I like this series. *coughs nervously* Blind buy.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks, Alan45! I didn't know these premium boxes even existed until a few days ago. I had intended to get the complete series set which is currently going for $120 at TRSI at some point in the future, but I'm prepared to pay extry to get the purty boxes...

...anyway, sure hope I like this series. *coughs nervously* Blind buy.

If I remember correctly, the premium boxes went for around $80 each when they were available in print, so I think you made out pretty well. At least I think that's what I paid for them. I don't have the third one either, but I didn't like the third season and the second season ends at a good stopping point. The first two seasons are based on the manga, but I guess they had caught up to the manga story line when the third season was made, and the writers for the anime didn't fare so well without the manga source material as a guide.

They are very nice boxes, but the thing I don't like about them is that the DVDs themselves are just in thin paper envelopes, loose inside the boxes. It's not an issue as long as you treat them well, but it seems incongruous with the quality of the boxes themselves. Still, I'm glad I have them.

Season one is more episodic and serves to set up and develop the characters. There's a lot of light hearted moments, but the second season gets more serious and is pretty much one main storyline for the whole season.

I don't know if you have seen the Trust and Betrayal OVA, but if not then wait until after you have seen the series. It will have a lot more impact if you do. Kenshin is probably my favorite shounen series, and the Trust and Betrayal OVA is one of my favorite anime works overall.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood-

I wouldn't worry about it. It has its detractors but the fact that it is still available and still talked about so long after it became available says something. It is a period drama, action series and has low key humor, what's not to like.

I find it amazing how many series are hyped, talked about as the next big thing, come out here and disappear without a trace. Only people like Mike Toole and Justin remember them after the first year.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the input, gents! @ MoR - yeah, I had heard that about the third arc ahead of time, but as a completist, I could not NOT get the third box.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
The Kenshin premium sets are nice. I got them for $30 each brand new at Book-Off. Obis and all. Dunno if I would ever want to upgrade.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
How could you upgrade from a premium box? Sad to say, my used sets didn't come with obis and I'm not expecting the third one that's coming by mail to either.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
Oh the obis are really cheap. I was just surprised they stayed intact after being out of print for so many years. An upgrade would be a remastered box or something (if it were ever to arise here) but I don't know how many more times I could watch the show. It had its good parts though.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Wow. Those look amazing. I had no idea that there were premium Kenshin boxsets.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
@Blood-

Wow. Those look amazing. I had no idea that there were premium Kenshin boxsets.

Same here. After being a fairly avid collector for a couple of years now, I thought I was pretty familiar with the OOP inventory out there, but this shows that clearly there are still discoveries to be made.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
During the boom period packaging got really odd some times. Like the wooden box for Kyo, and the amplifier box for Beck. At least the Kenshin boxes shelve properly.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
The Yamato Movie Box Set on VHS from off Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I have finally taken a step towards starting my collection of terrible anime! Went to an anime meet up this evening, there was a scavenger hunt, and I got some of the door prizes, specifically, I asked for the terrible OVAs. So here's hoping that the following are as terrible as they look:

Gundress
Guardian of Darkness
Alien Defender Geo-Armor
(aka Kishin Corps

I have high (low?) hopes for Guardian of Darkness especially, it's a Manga Corps title! But Geo-Armor is supposed to have nazis in it!
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sad to say, my used sets didn't come with obis and I'm not expecting the third one that's coming by mail to either.

Don't feel too bad. My brand new ones didn't come with obis either. I wonder if that's something they did on a limited release or if luffypirate85 is thinking of a different release set.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered Funimation's re-release of Tenchi in Tokyo just now on Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 954 of 1399