• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV BDs to Have English Subs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prabb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
WRYYYYYYYYYY?

I really wanted Jojo's to get licensed but I guess this kinda kills any chance of that happening.

Last edited by prabb on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about that. Same thing was done with Tiger and Bunny, which is licensed by Viz (but no home video release has been announced), Gundam Unicorn (was getting local DVD-only releases), and Redline (which got a full-out real release here).
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
It looks like we're sending a neat trend here. I hope Japanese companies can keep this up.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
It also confirms its 2 cour, which was kind of expected.
prabb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm wrong. Sad
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
I don't know about that. Same thing was done with Tiger and Bunny, which is licensed by Viz (but no home video release has been announced), Gundam Unicorn (was getting local DVD-only releases), and Redline (which got a full-out real release here).

Err. The home video release for Tiger and Bunny was announced months ago. It's coming in 2013, exactly when in 2013 though I'm not sure.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
azabaro wrote:

Err. The home video release for Tiger and Bunny was announced months ago. It's coming in 2013, exactly when in 2013 though I'm not sure.

He was referring to the JP releases, which had english subs.

Jojo having english subs means absolutely nothing regarding its likelihood of getting licensed (or lack therof). All it means is that they're trying to get afew more sales from imports.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Divineking wrote:
azabaro wrote:
I don't know about that. Same thing was done with Tiger and Bunny, which is licensed by Viz (but no home video release has been announced),

That bold part is about the JP release? Divineking is accurate.

Quote:
Jojo having english subs means absolutely nothing regarding its likelihood of getting licensed (or lack therof). All it means is that they're trying to get afew more sales from imports.

Yeah, I don't see the presence of English subtitles on the JP discs preventing a US license.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it will stop a US release, but it will likely delay it.

Though on the (small) chance that no one licenses it, it will mean that a release with subtitles is available.

...but after an inevitable price drop. Over $900 for a series is... Japanese pricing.

Well, whatever works for them. I don't live in my parents' basement, so I can't afford that, but I guess a lot of Japanese otaku can.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
$900 dollars and they only get some figures? For 900 bucks, Jonathan Joestar better hop off the screen and visit for a week. Araki should come to their house and give them every volume of the manga and come with them on an all expenses paid trip to Hollywood where they can go on a date with Scarlett Johansson.

I wouldn't pay $900 for a complete LoGH set. If Yoshika Tanaka himself came with the set I wouldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the world of Japanese Anime pricing. I wonder how many people over here would still buy anime if they used Japanese prices..
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Welcome to the world of Japanese Anime pricing. I wonder how many people over here would still buy anime if they used Japanese prices..

This is why piracy is so high.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Divineking wrote:
azabaro wrote:
I don't know about that. Same thing was done with Tiger and Bunny, which is licensed by Viz (but no home video release has been announced),

That bold part is about the JP release? Divineking is accurate.

Hmm, it seems I misread his post. Rereading those posts again, it really doesn't make sense does it?
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I looked on Amazon, and it looks like the DVDs cost far less than the Blu-Rays, with the Blu-Rays costing up to 250% of the DVD price.

So, rather than high episode counts, this is just a super-niche (hardcore Jojo's fans) within a super-niche (Blu-Ray) within a super-niche (anime)

Well, whatever works.

Come on, Sentai, release it over here Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

This is why piracy is so high.

Piracy is due to a false sense of entitlement. Owning is a luxury. This is a huge title that will most likely have legal streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2