• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Being a dude, shoujo anime can be a bit hit and miss, what with pandering that can feel annoying, insert yourself female character with perfect boys, and slow relationships. But the first episode of this show blows it out of the water. I enjoy the main female Shizuku's character, who seems to be the type who thinks of herself of being, although is open to the audience in how she differs to other people. Her straightforward manner and a voice which has a voice very different from a moe role, make me like the character even more. And she has some spunk, we don't need a push over.

Don't know much about Haru yet, but his awkwardness makes him feel indeering, his inteligence yet lack of personal arroagance also makes him feel like an attractive character. I could add that the fact he is violent, yet will be gentle to Shizuku plays on the concept that can make jerks attractive, but it is kind of mixed in a situation in how he spoiler[accidentilly hurting her playing out, and he is really naive.] And damn he works fast.

Also I can't help but feel it will all be downhill from here, I guess I blame a few shows recently falling from a relativly good first ep. Case in mind being the dead husband one. But hope we will have a continued success.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
As I mentioned in the Fall Preview Guide, the character dynamics remind me greatly of a gender-swapped Nodame Cantabile and that is a good thing, since Nodame and Chiaki were such an endearing couple. I liked the first episode and will give it my standard 3 episode test. Brains Base continues to impress me with their consistency (except with the mobage adaptation stuff).

So Japan, make more shoujo that has a heroine with some spunk to her please. Seeing Shizuku not act like a doormat even though she bizarrely doesn't have friends sure was refreshing.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
Shizuku's tell it as it is attitude kind of reminded me of Maria from A Devil and Her Love Song (sadly not an anime), and I really like that series. Definitely going to keep on with this one. I agree about the Nodame Cantabile dynamic as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, great avvie, st_owly!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
The avatar with her eating reminds me of I think it was Seitokai which had Suzu shown eating in a similar style.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
I've actually read the manga....and yeah it's quite good...but seriously...I don't think they should have made an anime version of this manga because there are a lot of good manga with unique stories there....so hmmm I'll try to watch it I guess.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
well give after seeing this feel case of "he said this while she said that".

yet might hang around see what else might happen.
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I was really put off by the spoiler[rape comment and when he basically hit her by accident] but otherwise it's a very unconventional shojo for me. I've yet to see one where spoiler[the confession and first kiss come in the first episode.] And the female lead's personality is so great in contrast to his. So for me anyways it's caught my interest. But we'll have to see what happens going forward...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
I didn't originally plan to watch this show, but got bored enough at home to check the first episode out. I was not disappointed with what I saw and will probably watch the series until its end.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised how amazing this show was able to perform a lot of character development in just one episode, but the thing that bothers me is the 2 other females and 2 other male characters in the opening act. I really don't want to see love triangles, squares, pentagons, or hexagons happening when this show has two done a decent job being not very predictable.

I hope there's no chicken jokes like :Me, Myself, and Irene".
underlock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
What a great one-episode standalone show.

Oh, there's more?

It certainly feels like I'd be much more satisfied with the series by dropping it here. I don't see them ever doing better than they did this episode, in fact, I expect the quality to drop drastically. But hopefully that's just me being negative or realistic.

I still refuse to praise this series too much though. I have plenty of doubts about some of what happened there if I'm to take this as romantic.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see more of the characters we were briefly introduced to . could use more of the teacher too
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[That guy is a total good-hearted airhead.
She is sooo totally in love with him it's ROFL!
Haru & Shizuku such a weird, yet really well suited couple.
Hope this isn't turning into Sket Dance....
Looks like Shizuku was going through all the hoops of being in love.
That sure was a new and unusual experience for her.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this so far. The spoiler[confession has happened in the first 2 episodes instead of the typical last episode confessions. ] Shizuku is truly a great character for a shoujo anime. Even though she is lonely, she still has a backbone and can think for herself. She isn't your typical shy and weak shoujo lead. I also liked the new supporting character,Natsume, that was introduced. She was basically just a spoiler[dumber version of Haru, as both are lonely and wants friends, and both have eccentric behavior. I lol when Shizuku read Natsume's blog after the ending song.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
By episode 2 Shizuku has spoiler[realised that there is more to life than purely studying, and anxiety she has been feeling towards Haru may be love.] Such breakneck speed that it leaves you wondering where they will even go from here, but that is a good thing, it is not like it is comming out of nowhere. Shizuku, Haru, and now Natsume, are fun characters and especially their little problems make them interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18