• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Space Case

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I love you, and disagree with you on Polar Bear Cafe, thing puts me to sleep.

Different strokes.

Glad that you love Space Brothers, and loved Tari Tari, me too!

Kokoro Connect isn't over yet, it's slotted for at least another episode, if not an entire season. I have no idea where it could go next and not seem tired, but you wrote it off as done. It's not. God help us.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes! Tari Tari on the top of the list where it rightfully belongs! Definitely the favorite of my season.

bamboo wrote:
Before that, though, we see one last scene of marital bliss, as papa Kirito goes fishing for the day, and mama Asuna cooks it all up.

That was really funny! I really wish you'd have also talked about how they were trying to project Asuna as the perfect dream wife. I like her, but I think they kinda need to slow down with how overbearing she becomes in professing her love. It doesn't feel real enough even though they've been through countless hurdles and its reached a point where its totally okay for them to sleep together (in-game).

Bamboo wrote:
As the various characters continue to gasp, “Generation of Miracles!” like they're the collective Second Coming, we see that the breakneck world of high school bball is terrifying shit.

Second Coming! Yes, that's exactly what we need in the second season!

Last edited by vinamara on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarquon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean to be 'that guy' (but I guess I am ><) but you skipped straight from #10 to #12 and left out Natsuyuki Rendezvous. I am curious what your thoughts on the show are, as I've been leaving it for a marathon since it seemed a show that's subtlety would be missed one at a time. Really enjoying the column Bamboo, keep it up!
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, on Sword Art Online, wrote:
I don't want what I'm about to say next to spark a giant flare-up in the forums, but I found one comment from the characters to be particularly interesting. spoiler[Because there was a period of time in which characters were logged out for a few hours, Kirito and Asuna came to the conclusion that everyone's bodies were presumably in hospitals. Kirito worries that this care won't last forever, but I'm left wondering something else. How were the players even transferred to a hospital? Does the NerveGear run on backup batteries? And, if players are allowed to be disconnected from their internet connections, wouldn't it be smarter to disconnect to prevent them from dying in-game, and just R&D a way out of the NerveGear problem?]

F*CK YES.

Finally someone else is asking the same questions I did.

That's all I wanted to say about this here; people can read my thoughts on episode thirteen over at the series discussion thread.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Caught up with SAO and have to disagree with a lot of things that people praise it for you. It's enjoyable, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I just can't stand Asuna and Kirito anymore. I like the supporting cast more than those two. Call it a personal preference or whatever, they just get on my nerves (no pun intended of course.) and make me want to drop the show. I only want to continue because of the characters I actually like.

Only show still on the list that I really enjoyed was The Ambition of Oda Nobuna. I had the same complaints as Bamboo regarding the pacing (Seriously, what was up with that?) but I enjoyed every minute of it which is more than I can say about a lot of shows this season.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I'm left wondering something else. How were the players even transferred to a hospital? Does the NerveGear run on backup batteries? And, if players are allowed to be disconnected from their internet connections, wouldn't it be smarter to disconnect to prevent them from dying in-game, and just R&D a way out of the NerveGear problem?

Kirito mentioned in episode 1 when Kayaba was speaking that NerveGear has a back-up battery, but the safety can't be tampered with or it'll fry your brain. So, it looks like, you can disconnect and then you have to reconnect before the battery runs out.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
i loved Binbougami ga and i cannot wait to see what Funimation does with it. it will be disappointing if Chris Sabat is not choosen as Bobby. Tari Tari was great as well, and i have no complaints about it. Space Bros is always fun is some way.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Kirito mentioned in episode 1 when Kayaba was speaking that NerveGear has a back-up battery, but the safety can't be tampered with or it'll fry your brain. So, it looks like, you can disconnect and then you have to reconnect before the battery runs out.

Why would Kirito know this?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's at least better than some of the other ladies-in-Sengoku-era shows that have come before it.

This is an interesting statement.

Have you actually watched all of Sengoku Otome and Sengoku Collection?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
i watched sengoku otome and i'm still on the fence about it
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
superdry wrote:

Why would Kirito know this?

Maybe he read the instruction manual before playing the game? It was something he mentioned to Klein in episode 1 during Kayaba's speech.

Supposedly, in the novel, Kayaba said he contacted the authorities and they had a two-hour window to coordinate and move players to some place they can be cared for. This of course was not mentioned in the anime.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Because there was a period of time in which characters were logged out for a few hours, Kirito and Asuna came to the conclusion that everyone's bodies were presumably in hospitals. Kirito worries that this care won't last forever, but I'm left wondering something else. How were the players even transferred to a hospital? Does the NerveGear run on backup batteries? And, if players are allowed to be disconnected from their internet connections, wouldn't it be smarter to disconnect to prevent them from dying in-game, and just R&D a way out of the NerveGear problem?

This is why I can not watch this show. I would spend most of my time screaming at the TV. There is a limit to my suspension of disbelief, and this show is way over it. It was much the same way with the Index franchise, and after several heated arguments with fans of that series I have decided it was best not to involve myself in them. But I still find it irritating when people expound the glories of a show that's plot/premise makes no logical sense.

Quote:
At the end of the day, though, I could give or take The Ambition of Oda Nobuna. If I never thought about it again, I likely would simply forget it existed. It was better than I originally gave it credit for, but not much. It's at least better than some of the other ladies-in-Sengoku-era shows that have come before it. Now that I've said that, let's quietly let this sub-genre die.

I was going to write off Ambition, but then I saw this prototype figure (about a third of the way down the page). It looks really cool, and I'm kind of thinking of buying it. But I can't buy a figure with watching the show at first. It is good to know that Ambition isn't that bad. Although I agree, please Japan, let this subgenre die. It's for the good of humanity.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

I think if you combined Sengoku Otome with Oda Nobuna you could get a much stronger show in general.

Sengoku Collection is clearly the best of the group though, but very different from the others.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Zarquon wrote:
I don't mean to be 'that guy' (but I guess I am ><) but you skipped straight from #10 to #12 and left out Natsuyuki Rendezvous. I am curious what your thoughts on the show are, as I've been leaving it for a marathon since it seemed a show that's subtlety would be missed one at a time. Really enjoying the column Bamboo, keep it up!

Actually, "The Stream" before this one had her overall opinion of the show, since it only has 11 episodes (like most shows on the noitaminA timeslot). #11 was omitted this week because it was the rating Natsuyuki Rendezvous received, there were no major shifts in rankings this time, and it would be redundant to re-post it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
getchman wrote:

I think if you combined Sengoku Otome with Oda Nobuna you could get a much stronger show in general.

Sengoku Collection is clearly the best of the group though, but very different from the others.

i dont know if i want to, since the History Major in me died a little when watching Sengoku otome
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5