• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-13]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's become Answerman policy that if there's another major contest running on ANN, Win Answerman's Stuff goes on hiatus so y'all can focus your creative powers in the general direction of the other contest.

But I thought it was implied that Bamboo's contest was to be akin to the Win Answerman's Stuff series. Then what happens?
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe I should replace this section with "panda of the week".

No!!! We(Ok, I) need kittens Anime cry
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Because Starship Troopers: Roughnecks is about as much 'anime' as The Lion King or that awful Ralph Bakshi version of The Lord of the Rings.

Anime is animation produced in Japan, dude. Starship Troopers: Roughnecks is an American production all the way. That said, though, there actually is an old Starship Troopers anime, as anyone who's visited Mike Toole's amazing "Dubs that Time Forgot" panel will recall. It's really hilariously bad.

Also, let me save some of you the trouble. Please spare me the following reply:

"Actually, anime means ALL animation, not just animation produced in Japan!"

No it doesn't. It means that in Japan. In America it means "animation produced in Japan". Deal with it.

So...ok.

Aeon Flux, Farscape, hell, The Ring movies have nothing to do with anime yet they are listed in the encyclopedia but be damned about Roughnecks?

I wasn't the one who wrote this question in, however it does make sense. So Aeon Flux, which was created entirely in the US is added in the Not Anime but Related section, but Roughnecks is not? For god's sake, there's a Coke commercial in the encyclopedia just because it's 'anime style'.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:

So...ok.

Aeon Flux, Farscape, hell, The Ring movies have nothing to do with anime yet they are listed in the encyclopedia but be damned about Roughnecks?

I wasn't the one who wrote this question in, however it does make sense. So Aeon Flux, which was created entirely in the US is added in the Not Anime but Related section, but Roughnecks is not? For god's sake, there's a Coke commercial in the encyclopedia just because it's 'anime style'.

I'm having a hard time understanding why I have to explain why Roughnecks is not anime nor is it related.

Anime is widely perceived to be "anime" because it's in the same style. Farscape's animated OVA is anime style (and I believe animated by a Japanese house).

Roughnecks is a US-produced, US-voiced, US-written show based on an American property shown primarily in America that is designed purely in an American action cartoon way.

Putting Roughnecks in the encyclopedia would be like putting Alvin and the Chipmunks there.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
It's become Answerman policy that if there's another major contest running on ANN, Win Answerman's Stuff goes on hiatus so y'all can focus your creative powers in the general direction of the other contest.

But I thought it was implied that Bamboo's contest was to be akin to the Win Answerman's Stuff series. Then what happens?

What do you mean "akin"?

Edit: do you mean permanent? That isn't the case. Mine's a fixture of the column, Bamboo's is an extended event for her 100th column. It'll go on for a while but it isn't a permanent feature.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
hey man, the encyclopedia is massively large to the effin max, so i don't think the encyclopedia dudes really wanna waste their sweet lives to put a little tikes favorite cartoon that isn't even anime on there....as for the coke commercial thing, who knows maybe the editor might have had a long night, hangover, fatigue, redness, itchy dry skin, vomiting, and other symptoms.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
Lion King counts as an "anime" rip-off. Also, whether you like it or not, Jackson obviously owes a lot to the Bakshi LOTR, since it helped set up the template for the Middle Earth presentation depicted in the trilogy.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DarkCntry wrote:

So...ok.

I'm having a hard time understanding why I have to explain why Roughnecks is not anime nor is it related.

Anime is widely perceived to be "anime" because it's in the same style. Farscape's animated OVA is anime style (and I believe animated by a Japanese house).

Roughnecks is a US-produced, US-voiced, US-written show based on an American property shown primarily in America that is designed purely in an American action cartoon way.

Putting Roughnecks in the encyclopedia would be like putting Alvin and the Chipmunks there.

But you overlooked the majority of my other examples...Thundercats looked nothing more anime than any other American-made cartoon of the time. Aeon Flux was the same, just more noir-style art, that doesn't automatically make it 'anime-like' does it? If that were true, Heavy Metal would've been classed anime as well, but it was nothing more than an animated adaptation of the graphic novel, which wasn't inspired by anime/manga. The Ring/Ringu? Did I miss where that was inspired by anime?

The reason I ask this question is that it didn't make sense to tell this guy that it's not there because it was American when there are clearly all-American things in the encyclopedia.
TheWizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DarkCntry wrote:

So...ok.

and... how do you explain Aeon Flux US TV?

anime#6

Quote:

Broadcaster: MTV
Distributor: Sony Wonder
Licensed by: MTV
Production:
Colossal Pictures
MTV

heck looking at it's page it has absolutely nothing to do with Anime by your definition, japan, or etc that'd qualify for it to be on this site other then being directed by Peter chung who also worked on Reign
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
I think most people's problems with the encyclopedia are not that some american series aren't included, but that alot of american series are. For seemingly no reason. I'm sorry, but the fact that Peter Chung also did character designs for Reign, is not enough for me to consider Aeon Flux "related" to anime. Some I can see, at least Ring/Ringu are japanese and there's a manga as well. But the Gold Digger OVA? Nothing about that series is japanese. The author trying to imitate the japanese art style is not enough for it to qualify as "related" to anime for me. And the "not manga but related" is a whole 'nother can of worms. Pretty much everything on the list has nothing to do with manga other then they're put out by companies that also publish manga.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
The scary thing about the Lord of the Rings Animated version...

is that i found that in my local blockbuster's anime section

(along with Invader Zim, and basically anything that was "Action, Animation")

They couldv'e at least named it "Animation Section"
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Lion King counts as an "anime" rip-off. Also, whether you like it or not, Jackson obviously owes a lot to the Bakshi LOTR, since it helped set up the template for the Middle Earth presentation depicted in the trilogy.

I wouldn't call it a complete rip, but I'm willing to bet that parts of Lion King are probably at least inspired by Jungle Emporer. But the movie's been around for over ten years now, so really, who cares?

As for Jackson owing anything to Bakshi...um, no. Anyone who's actually read the novels will tell you that Tolkein was an absurdly descriptive writer, often going off into tangents about this or that aspect of life in Middle Earth. There's enough details in his books to set up the template for eight or nine movies. If Jackson specfically said somewhere that Bakshi's lame movie inspired him, then okay, but I would assume he'd go to the source first.

Also, Zac: Why do you think Otakon should move out of Baltimore? True, a lot of the city is kind of um, filthy, but the con is in the part they keep pretty for tourists and sports fans. I could do without those stupid crab statues everywhere, though. Those're like items in video games, scattered randomly around the world by persons unknown, and impossible to miss. Walk up to the crab and press circle to save your game! Um, yeah.
wao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
I second the request for kittens. I mean, I've got enough cat sites to keep me satiated, but more kittens will certainly not be minded from this party.

What about The Last Unicorn, btw? That was animated by Japanese people in a clearly Japanese style...
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
If Jackson specfically said somewhere that Bakshi's lame movie inspired him, then okay, but I would assume he'd go to the source first.

Actually, I think he did. I forget what exactly he said, but I do remember him talking about the Bakshi film in the extras of the Fellowship extended edition. But you're still right about Tolkien's writing style, there is more than enough detail.

Edit: Oh, and I vote for kitties!
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote
And what of TransFormers: The Movie? Where would you put an American production of a Japanese franchise? For that matter, was it re-imported to Japan under the title "Transformers the Movie: Mokushiroku Matrix yo eien ni" as IMDB lists it?

I love grey areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4