• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Space Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
In Tari Tari, spoiler[I wonder which English-speaking country Sawa went to? Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand are all strong horse-racing cultures. I just never understood why she wanted to be a jockey. She could have done three-day eventing or show-jumping and gone to the Olympics.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Bamboo's report on Kuroko's Basketball wrote:
Ideally, this series would eventually end in an epilogue where we see the characters fifteen years later, somberly manning a deserted okonomiyaki stand or repairing old Toyotas.

Darn, now I keep humming Springsteen's Glory Days.... Wink

My summer favorites:

Hunter X Hunter
Space Brothers
Polar Bear Cafe
Humanity Has Declined
Tari Tari
Koroko's Basketball
Binbogami Ga!

I still mean to check out Utakoi, but haven't yet. I've fallen behind on Tari Tari, Koroko's Basketball and Binbogami Ga!, though I wouldn't have even tried out Tari Tari or Binbogami Ga if It hadn't been for this column.

All of the bi-weekly "discussion" surrounding Sword Art Online after each episode of The Stream has rendered the show completely uninteresting to me.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
My favourite summer season show was definitely Humanity Has Declined while the surprise hit was probably Binbogami Ga! which looked like another lame fanservice comedy on the outside but turned out to be a highly entertaining and quite hilarious Gintama-style series.

Also enjoyed Moyashimon Returns, Tari Tari, Utakoi and Natsuyuki Rendezvous.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Tari Tari being "a little" cheesy is an understatement (even though it was almost subtle compared to the average anime series). I enjoyed many parts of the show, but would have liked it better overall if it had been (even) more down to earth. melody of the heart and radiant melody are really pretty songs though, no March 9th or Letter, but still pretty. And of course the choir version of reflectia was a nice surprise.

But we don't know what Sawa told Taichi at the end, and I wouldn't automatically assume it to have been something too positive.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
But we don't know what Sawa told Taichi at the end, and I wouldn't automatically assume it to have been something too positive.

Well, he smiled, so her response was probably something like spoiler[ "thank you, when I get back to Japan call me and maybe we can hang out". I don't think she said yes, but I also don't think she shot him down either.]

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
SAO's thing about the heath care the victims were receiving was explained in game (and in th' freaking episode too) so you're just not paying attention.

I'd counter the Asuna co-dependency thing but, really, it's not worth it if you're not going to actively listen (read, whatever) to what people are saying.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ok, I'm gonna have to go check out Polar Bear Cafe now. I'm a fan of anthropomorphic animals in various mediums (not a furry---thank gawd). I'd been hearing quite a bit about this show so I may have to check out an ep. or two.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Sengoku Collection...and the hands down single best episode of anything in at least the last year or so.

Which episode was that?

18. Its completely standalone, also.

That was my guess, and I agree 100%. That might be the single best standalone episode of anime I've ever seen. And I scored the full series 6/10. It was just a weird series like that. Some episodes were horrible, others were good or great.

I'd like to comment on the column, but since nothing has really changed from last time, there's no much to be said.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
That was my guess, and I agree 100%. That might be the single best standalone episode of anime I've ever seen. And I scored the full series 6/10. It was just a weird series like that. Some episodes were horrible, others were good or great.

I'd like to comment on the column, but since nothing has really changed from last time, there's no much to be said.

The entire show was based around movie parody/homage, Japanese and foreign. 18 in particular was a mix of a few films, like Dancer in the Dark. The Knight Rider and Sting episodes were pretty good too, and the Bowling for Columbine sketch was hilarious. I would say it's hard to recommend the series as a whole, but it has its moments.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Caught up with SAO and have to disagree with a lot of things that people praise it for you. It's enjoyable, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I just can't stand Asuna and Kirito anymore. I like the supporting cast more than those two. Call it a personal preference or whatever, they just get on my nerves (no pun intended of course.) and make me want to drop the show. I only want to continue because of the characters I actually like.

Tell me about it! I meab their "relationship" comes off as the worst kind of wish-fulfillment cheeze-whiz I have ever seen. Clearly Kirito is a Gary Stu of the worst kind. I don't know why I still watch, the writing is really quite bad, but I do like some of the other characters and the premise of the show had such great potential. Too bad it was based on a light-novel written by some ronery 15 year old otaku who hadn't masturbated enough. It really does come off as poorly written fan-fiction.

superdry wrote:
Quote:
but I'm left wondering something else. How were the players even transferred to a hospital? Does the NerveGear run on backup batteries? And, if players are allowed to be disconnected from their internet connections, wouldn't it be smarter to disconnect to prevent them from dying in-game, and just R&D a way out of the NerveGear problem?

Kirito mentioned in episode 1 when Kayaba was speaking that NerveGear has a back-up battery, but the safety can't be tampered with or it'll fry your brain. So, it looks like, you can disconnect and then you have to reconnect before the battery runs out.

If the battery runs out, then what's left to fry your brain? Never mind that a strong EM pulse, easily generated given the right equipment, would be more-than-sufficient to disable the equipment without harming the user.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
otakunomike wrote:
For the Sword Art Online connundrum: yeah in the novel Kayaba's little speech in the beginning about the rules of dying is longer. The full conditions for death are die in the game; have someone attempt to remove the NerveGear from your head; be disconnected from a power source for more than 10 minutes; be disconnected from the internet for more than 2 hours.

Asuna said they were offline for "several hours." So... unless that's indication that in-game time is faster than in-real time (yes, I know we've talked about this before), but a work-around could also just be to have characters log in, then log back out again for 2 hours. Set the router on a timer or something, I don't know. Better than getting killed by a monster.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

superdry wrote:
Quote:
but I'm left wondering something else. How were the players even transferred to a hospital? Does the NerveGear run on backup batteries? And, if players are allowed to be disconnected from their internet connections, wouldn't it be smarter to disconnect to prevent them from dying in-game, and just R&D a way out of the NerveGear problem?

Kirito mentioned in episode 1 when Kayaba was speaking that NerveGear has a back-up battery, but the safety can't be tampered with or it'll fry your brain. So, it looks like, you can disconnect and then you have to reconnect before the battery runs out.

If the battery runs out, then what's left to fry your brain? Never mind that a strong EM pulse, easily generated given the right equipment, would be more-than-sufficient to disable the equipment without harming the user.

Maybe there is a condition in nervegear where if battery reaches this level, then fry brain.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
SAO's thing about the heath care the victims were receiving was explained in game (and in th' freaking episode too) so you're just not paying attention.

Alright then, enlighten us all as to what the episode explained about the players' health care. Go on.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
otakunomike wrote:
For the Sword Art Online connundrum: yeah in the novel Kayaba's little speech in the beginning about the rules of dying is longer. The full conditions for death are die in the game; have someone attempt to remove the NerveGear from your head; be disconnected from a power source for more than 10 minutes; be disconnected from the internet for more than 2 hours.

Asuna said they were offline for "several hours." So... unless that's indication that in-game time is faster than in-real time (yes, I know we've talked about this before), but a work-around could also just be to have characters log in, then log back out again for 2 hours. Set the router on a timer or something, I don't know. Better than getting killed by a monster.
I took that to mean everyone was having the "offline fainting spell" over the course of several hours whilst they were being transferred to a hospital.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
maaya wrote:

Well, he smiled, so her response was probably something like spoiler[ "thank you, when I get back to Japan call me and maybe we can hang out". I don't think she said yes, but I also don't think she shot him down either.]

Fencedude5609 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
spoiler[with Taichi and Sawa. The dialog free confession scene, with Sawa's confirmation that she feels the same, followed by Taichi, the stoic and very manly young man that he is, brushing away a tear as her plane flies off to her future was one of the most touching love confession scenes in recent memory.]

PFFFFFFTTT

Oh god, thats hilarious. She friendzoned him hard and most likely they'll never even see each other again.

If that was the case, then why does she blush when Konatsu is teasing Taichi in the video they sent her? If she hadn't at least confirmed that she has feelings for him as well, not even Konatsu would be mean enough to tease Taichi about it in a video that they were sending to Sawa! (Sawa probably would be mean enough to do that, as she has a pretty vicious sense of humor.) Also, when Konatsu is teasing Taichi, Sawa looks happy and blushes, not angry and not indifferent. (Slight lowering of the head, narrowing of the eyes, blushing, and raising of the shoulders - the basic "Aw shucks!" movement.) That is a clear indication that the two of them are an item, if a long distance one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5