• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Space Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
This was posted in the General anime thread for Space Brothers by underlock...

might just be an argument against the show's great attention to detail.
Wink Very Happy

Classic Engrish
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
That is a clear indication that the two of them are an item, if a long distance one.

I really don't get this insistence that these two people, who barely interacted across the course of the series, become a ~true love~ couple right as she is moving to goddamn Britain or something.

Not only do I think the pairing is terrible, its dumb!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Asuna said they were offline for "several hours." So... unless that's indication that in-game time is faster than in-real time (yes, I know we've talked about this before), but a work-around could also just be to have characters log in, then log back out again for 2 hours. Set the router on a timer or something, I don't know. Better than getting killed by a monster.

I don't in ANYWAY think that it's good planning to require viewing one anime while concurrently watching another (altho potentially saavy marketing), but in "Accel World" (written by the same author) time in their system DOES move faster than the real world AND it's been noted that the nerve-gear in SAO is the progenitor of the system used in "Accel World". I haven't read either the SAO or AW novels, but honestly, before someone noted that in the novels they explain what IS going on in the real world I EXPECTED that we'd find out very little time had passed IRL for the "2+ years" that had passed in game.

Unrelated, I wanted to thank bamboo for giving Oda Nobuna a chance. I'm honestly impressed that it survived the full run, since as I said at the beginning, I don't think it was "great" by any means, but I agree with bamboo that it was better than one might initially expect and I'm glad it got a chance more than just "another Sengoku-period girls show, pass". Thank you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I haven't read either the SAO or AW novels, but honestly, before someone noted that in the novels they explain what IS going on in the real world I EXPECTED that we'd find out very little time had passed IRL for the "2+ years" that had passed in game.

Well that would have a huge cop-out. I thought part of the point of Sword Art Online was that the players should live life to the fullest because they are not going to get their time in the game back.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe the current situation in Sword Art Online requires a lengthy explanation regarding how nearly 10,000 people trapped in a virtual MMO were transported to the hospital. maybe once the game has been cleared and Kirito is able to take off his nerve gear, his parents, sister or doctor will provided us with an info dump and explain every detail so folks are satisfied. we know, thanks to Asuna, that Kayaba allowed, at the very least, people to log off the game for a few hours in order for the authorities to transport these people to hospitals, presumably with the nerve gear still on since having your brain fried is not a great option. the current situation the players are facing is a frighteningly powerful floor boss that can one hit KO the raid group. hopefully we will get to see more dual wielding badassery from Kirito with help from, Asuna, Heathcliff, Klein, and the merchant friend. i did appreciate the light shed on the relationship between Asuna and Kirito. while i never had a problem with the seemingly fast pace they grew to love each other, it was nice to know that Kirito partnering up with Asuna back at the first boss was the starting point. looking forward to the next episode and the moment when both of them can finally meet in real life.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
That is a clear indication that the two of them are an item, if a long distance one.

I really don't get this insistence that these two people, who barely interacted across the course of the series, become a ~true love~ couple right as she is moving to goddamn Britain or something.

Not only do I think the pairing is terrible, its dumb!

Who said that? The way I see it... spoiler[Taichi confessed, and she probably answered something like " I don't dislike you. It's going to be a bit complicated since I'm moving away but yeah, let's give it a shot...".
Like you said, the series didn't REALLY make it look like they were meant to be together all along, that's why I think they went for a more "platonic" kind of love" in the end. My guess is it was their to show that love can sprout through teamwork and dedication. Though everyone is free to interpret the ending as they like, that's precisely the beauty of a scene with muted dialogue.
]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
OK I---AM---SO---SOLD!!! Polar Bear Cafe is so AWESOME!! The show is genius. I love it!! So addictive too. I must've watched 10 episodes in one sitting and never once got bored. I was so into it that I didn't even watch my political streams. Talk about a breath of fresh air to calm my already razzed nerves. If this show was to be picked up right now I would buy it in a heartbeat. Think I'm joking? Razz Razz Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5