• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Panty & Stocking on BD in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
So glad I held off on buying the DVDs! Now I wonder how long I'll have to wait for Index BDs.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess the lesson learned is: don't buy the DVDs, just wait.

Yep, learned my lesson. I already double dipped on a few others and will end up double dipping on R+V 1,2 and Darker than Black 1 if those are ever released on BD here.

But good thing I waited for Panty and Stocking since it wasn't a must-have show anyways, and I'll be waiting for Sacred Blacksmith and Deadman Wonderland

The King of Harts wrote:
Also, when you dub everything, that tends to take time as well. Dubbing everything well takes even longer.

Sentai still releases much faster for their BD dubs.
Eri94

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey funi, do you plan on giving me some kind of trade up from the DVD's for a slight charge?

Probably not.

And in that case, which is most probable, I'll give you a big fudge you.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Right now, the wording suggests that most of the new extras might be U.S.-produced, like a commentary from the voice actors and so on, instead of necessarily being additional Japanese features. They might still have something of that nature, but I doubt it'll be anything too big considered they already put the shorts and such on the initial release.

Which, among other reasons, means I'm perfectly happy with the DVDs. I can only shrug at this and move on.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Glad I waited, I figured the BDs would come out eventually, just not this soon. Glad the Funi sale is still on at RightStuf.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm wondering is if it'll also include the extras from the DVD-release, or if it will all just be brand new exclusive features for the blu-ray. Hopefully the former, so I can sell my DVD set and save shelf space.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
If six month delays is what it takes to satisfy Japanese paranoia, then that's fine, I can live with that.

Especially if the alternatives are not having BDs at all, or worthless releases lke Persona.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
With all due respect to that one guy, not everyone has the time to list through various forums even on ANN to see what rights and what medium something will be released in.

With Forte they sure as hell made it seem like it would not get a blu ray release. Thats why I bought Forte. Hell I honestly dont mind double or even triple dipping for stuff, but to some people its a big deal.

So is Index getting a blu ray release, I love the show and can wait a few more months for a blu ray.

And I also agree with someone else on this thread, I have tons of Funi and tons of Sentai stuff, and I prefer Sentai's simple packaging which doesnt clutter shelf space, and in generally also ends up being cheaper as well. My only complaint with Sentai is they really dont release much blu ray stuff.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Well, ya see, when you actually put time and effort into a release to make the final product something actually worthy of being owned, it tends to take longer to make. It's easy to slap a picture on a piece a paper, put it in a standard case, and throw some discs in there. It takes time and lots of approvals when want to use more than one piece art for your art box, reversible covers, and art booklet or other trinket.

Please. I could give a rat's ass about FUNi's nicer packaging. Except for FMA:B, Steins;Gate and a few other quality releases, Funimation tends to release dumb boob shows and garbage like Panty and Stocking.

While it is true that Sentai releases are bare bones, they tend to release more quality series in my opinion. FUNi can throw at me all the shiny cardboard boxes they want, but most of their anime release are mediocre content-wise.

The King of Harts wrote:
Exactly my point. If you don't know what does and does not have a BD release, or if there will be one in the future, look it up. You don't even need to go far. Just keep up with our own forums or The Fandom Posts, and you'll learn lots of neat-o stuff all by yourself!

Do you really expect casual anime fans (the demographic FUNi presumably aims at) to be up to date by participating in online anime forums?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
While it is true that Sentai releases are bare bones, they tend to release more quality series in my opinion. FUNi can throw at me all the shiny cardboard boxes they want, but most of their anime release are mediocre content-wise.

This.

Yes, Sentai doesn't do a lot of extras, but they get them out as fast as they can because that's what the fans want (and have admited they want to get it out faster because they're smaller) and I personally like more of the anime they pick up. I love No.6 and they are picking up more artsy animes. I can except that they pick up a lot of ecchi to get the fanboy money (not happy that genre are their big sellers), but they're not limiting themselves by making sure everything gets a dub.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

The King of Harts wrote:
Also, when you dub everything, that tends to take time as well. Dubbing everything well takes even longer.

Eh...it seems like the quality of Sentai's dubs varies wildly. The World God Only Knows for example, there were a few areas where mouths were moving and characters were not talking, or they had to stretch to gill the flaps [They made the word "Well..." last three flaps, which could have been written any other way and looked better]. And then there is Guin Saga....

Not to say that ALL Sentai dubs are bad [I might be in the minority, but I liked Angel beats quite a bit], but if a good/watchable dub that can match flaps takes longer to make, then Im fine waiting for it.

That said, why am I posting here, Im not interested in this show :U
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
configspace wrote:

The King of Harts wrote:

Eh...it seems like the quality of Sentai's dubs varies wildly. The World God Only Knows for example, there were a few areas where mouths were moving and characters were not talking, or they had to stretch to gill the flaps [They made the word "Well..." last three flaps, which could have been written any other way and looked better]. And then there is Guin Saga....

Not to say that ALL Sentai dubs are bad [I might be in the minority, but I liked Angel beats quite a bit], but if a good/watchable dub that can match flaps takes longer to make, then Im fine waiting for it.

That said, why am I posting here, Im not interested in this show :U

I can deal with a few mistimed lip flaps as long as the dialogue is accurate and the casting and performances are good. Often some unnecessary changes are made to make the dialogue better fit the lip flaps, which I find amusing as the flaps are often pretty bad in the original Japanese.

Funimation has ruined far too many dubs for me with bad casting and unnecessary rewrites that ruin entire scenes. I've also grown tired of popular VA's being placed in roles their clearly don't fit just to gain some traction with dub fans. They made at least three shows I was really looking forward to virtually unwatchable in English. Sentai may have some misses, but they've never put out a dub that made me want to tear my ears out or one that I refuse to watch any part of in English. I could even take the singing scene in Guin Saga over some of Funi's bad work.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I would call Samurai girls, Daimaoh and toloveru closer to sleaze than I would a 'quality series'.

of course, if we are just talking about dubs, most all dubs are bad in the first place... a 'good' dub would be the exception to the rule. I don't know anything about panty and stockings dub, though.
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess the lesson learned is: don't buy the DVDs, just wait.

Well, patience is a virtue.

I always wait for the BD version whenever I hear that a DVD only release or a English only BD release has occured.

The Tatami Galaxy is next. Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
And all in all, you don't need all the crap Funimaiton does for their releases, they don't really do anything special to their releases.

Says who? You? I don't care what you think about limited editions, because I do care about them. They are important to me. It's called being a collector, and as a collector you tend to care a lot about the actual product and want value.

Quote:
Persona 4 wasn't forced onto the market, the DVD has both audios. They were FORCED to remove the Japanese audio and extras from the BD, not like that was their fault. Not like it's any lose, the fans of the game won't care because they're fans of the English VAs. Sentai made a smart marketing move to put the anime out around the same time of the new games, it would be stupid if they didn't.

Yea, P4 is being forced into the market by Sentai. They're determined to get it out there while the games are still new. I didn't say it was dumb because it is smart, but because they're so antsy to get out there they were forced to remove the JP audio from the BDs. They had two choices:

1) Wait and keep the Japanese audio
2) Push it out there gimped

There are pros and cons to both, but the point is that they were determined to get it out there to time it up with the games that they had to sacrifice the JP audio.

angelmcazares wrote:
While it is true that Sentai releases are bare bones, they tend to release more quality series in my opinion.

You should get a job in the fields, because you're really good at cherry picking. Let me try. Funimation tends to release quality shows like Princess Jellyfish, Spice and Wolf, Ga-Rei Zero, and Birdy the Mighty Decode. Meanwhile, Sentai is releasing trash like Samurai Girls, Majikoi, Akikan, and Koihime Muso.
Quote:
Do you really expect casual anime fans (the demographic FUNi presumably aims at) to be up to date by participating in online anime forums?

Uh...yea? It's not hard to follow a forum. In fact, this forum is filled with casual fans, you just don't know it because they don't post...because they're casual and don't care as much. You've never been curious about how it's the same 100 or so people that post consistently, but there's over 700,000 registered users? I'm sure there's a few thousand more who aren't even registered and still follow the news and forums. There are so many people that have been users for years, but don't post and still follow along on a daily basis. So yea, if you're an anime fan (casual or not), you should probably follow the biggest anime news site regularly to keep yourself up to date. It'd also be smart to keep up with The Fandom Post. Or just follow WTK. I'm not saying to live on the site, but go through it once or twice a day and see what kind of info is out there.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Often some unnecessary changes are made to make the dialogue better fit the lip flaps, which I find amusing [...] Funimation has ruined far too many dubs for me with bad casting and unnecessary rewrites that ruin entire scenes [...] I could even take the singing scene in Guin Saga over some of Funi's bad work.

Just more proof that that raging boner you have for ADV/Sentai 24/7 is using most of your blood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4