• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
For me this is the worst season of anime ever. There is nothing that I am interested in watching.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
For me this is the worst season of anime ever. There is nothing that I am interested in watching.

Really? I think this season has quite a few promising shows, but to each their own I guess. I am curious as to what sort of anime you like, though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:

Thirty shows - many of them promising - and nothing you want to watch? Why are you even an Anime fan if you don't like Anime? Because this season looks to be no worse than any other season.

Also, you don't seem to understand that back in the early nineties you were lucky to get five new shows aimed at adults in a single season. You don't realise how lucky we are at the moment.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
chronium wrote:

Thirty shows - many of them promising - and nothing you want to watch? Why are you even an Anime fan if you don't like Anime? Because this season looks to be no worse than any other season.

Also, you don't seem to understand that back in the early nineties you were lucky to get five new shows aimed at adults in a single season. You don't realise how lucky we are at the moment.

It is great to look back at the selection of anime over the years, but living through it must have been pretty sparse unless you kept up on your film and OVA releases. There's a massive difference between selectively choosing 10 titles from 1995 versus having to sift through the 50 currently airing. We're inundated with anime. Not all of them are going to be top tier titles, but there's always choice.

In another ten years, you'll be able to look back to 2012 and carefully pick which shows you want to watch, with full hindsight: fan reactions, reviews, sales, what stood the test of time. You don't go back to dig exclusively for crap, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.
CharismaJustice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Magi is gonna be great, I've already read 70 chapters into the manga.
same thing with tempest, although with way less chapters!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
chronium wrote:

Well shit this this the second time I'm agreeing with you on something. Personally I've only watched 3 shows far however fall looks pretty damn decent compared to summers line up and maybe I need to drop my cynical attitude .... to enjoy some of the newer shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty excited about Magi. It looks pretty awesome. Also, I saw some of you talking about your top anime of the past decade. If I had to chose a single anime series to put above all others, it would be Twelve Kingdoms hands down for me. The world building was amazing. The diversity of deep side characters kept drawing me in to every single story arc and as the story progresses, you become attached to so many of them. The main character undergoes fantastic growth, and I loved the shifts in perspective which allowed some of the lesser characters to shine in stories of their own. Also, the art and music was quite wonderful. I was hooked from start to finish and only wish they made more episodes. Just below that would be Death Note, and third place would be PMMM.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:

Someone says this every season. How many 'worst seasons' are there?

This season has Gyrozetter which is pretty much anime of the year.. No way it can be the worst ever.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
chronium wrote:

This season has Gyrozetter which is pretty much anime of the year.. No way it can be the worst ever.

Ever is a long time too. I bet most people have never seen some of those 80s or 90s anime charts, where a Winter or a Summer might only have two, LITERALLY TWO, new shows premiering, and they're both stuff for young children. I'd like to thing those rank among the worst ever.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
dunno, sometimes a single great children's anime is better than 10 - 20 of the lackluster adult series they keep producing each season ... overall, if it meant an increase in quality, I really wouldn't mind having less series to chose from.

Last edited by maaya on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
chronium wrote:

Okay, I was entertained. The series itself doesn't interest me, but the ED was decent.

Now, lemme see if I can correctly guess the bot each kid controls (just going off the ending animation).

Red earphones is in the red bot.
Chubby pop-drinker must be in the bulky orange bot.
Frown-face boy is in the blue bot.
The two girls are a bit harder because the remaining bots are both white. Okay, I'll guess that glasses girl is in the tall cat bot, and that Miss Ponytail is in the one with the crown(?) on its head.

Okay, I've confirmed Big Red, Bad Blue, and White Queenie. I'll just write off that I got the other two correct. While I'd love for the girl to have the big bulky one, this series is clearly going to play it straight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
dunno, sometimes a single great children's anime is better than 10 - 20 of the lackluster adult series they keep producing each season

And 'sometimes' (as in, basically every season) the best children's series is worse than any of the good adult series. And I can't remember the last time there wasn't at least one good adult series in a season. Luckily, my spreadsheet can (it is based on titles I've watched):

Winter 2005. That's how far I have to go back to find one broadcast title that wasn't rated 7/10 or higher.

Yes, every season nowadays has a number of crap adult titles. But there are also several good adult titles. Judging an entire season on just the worst ten or twenty titles is plain deceitful as it deliberately ignores the cream of the crop.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
yep, I don't disagree with that. Personally, my impression of a season is based on how good the good shows are.

Though the last time an anime that counts as a children's show was the best of its season for me was Space Brothers this spring. And this season I hope Magi will be better than 7 of the 8 shows I've tried for now.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
Seeing how shows like Kyousogiga are included but not others, if people are interested in the complete list of stuff, like: Kami-sama Kiss, Backstage Idol Story, Seitokai no Ichizon 2, along with Minami-ke and other OVAs
see:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I can say this Autumn release has three more titles that I have interest to at least try, and that's three more than has been released in the last 2 years when I feared I would never see another series that didn't make me feel anime wasn't for me anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 39