• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Box Office Mojo-ka Magica

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, that person in the second question really needs to lurk moar... Just look at ANN's preview guides to see people standing up to defend harem/fanservice shows when someone brushes them off in a not-so-nice manner.

The problem with speaking positively about such shows in public, though, is that it's often the case that some one will inevitably come around and start saying how the show is shit and blah blah blah, and it'll all go downhill from there.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
One of my fellow anime club members is huge into harem shows. It's not like he talks about it obsessively but anytime a harem show is mention he has almost certainly watched it.

I'm with Brian on the whole Neon Alley thing. I mean I would like them to do well. But for the life of me I can't see way it was set up as a normal TV channel. I stopped getting cable because I couldn't be bothered to watch things when they aired. Also it seems odd to launch on PS3 only. What about the Xbox 360?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
Regarding the harem fan thing, those kinds of people just don't go to ANN as much... ANN seems to get the more nostalgia filled crowd, and older people in general. But go to places like MAL or /a/, you'll get a lot more otaku driven crowds who love the harem shows. Answerman is right that people who like similar things tend to swarm to one another.

Like just look at MALs list of most watched anime for Summer:

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=0&tag=&p=0&r=0&sm=6&sd=0&sy=2012&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=f&gx=0&o=7&w=1

3 of the top 7 are total fanservice/harem things. 4 if you count Arcana as the reverse harem.. thats totally different then you'd get here.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Oh man, that Neon Alley thing is going to end poorly. Limiting it to the PS3 makes a niche market even more niche. While I don't have interest in dubs, I do know that a lot of anime fans like 'em--but enough to set their clock to catch them?

Yikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
I do like watching things live – political shows, Bill Maher, South Park...everything else receives the "Record" button and I'll catch it later, and skip commercials in the process. Yes, DVR is an amazing tool, such power it lets the viewer wield for decision making (AND PAUSING, oh God I can't tell you how important pausing live TV is. That alone makes having DVR worth it). Having a pre-digital TV set-up on something that comes over the internet is...forced obsolescence? It's one thing to check out live-streams on people's channels, they tend to also have chat features so you're doing it for the social aspect as much as the content, but you're alone watching Neon Alley, and a phone call from the last millennium is ringing.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Fingers being blue... I see what you did there answer man.

On harem shows themselves it depends on how the series ends for me or if I actually grow to like the characters. The best example I can give for my all time favorite harem, is to love ru franchise that is just goofy fun with great characters that makes it fun to watch.
On endings, I believe amgami ss is the best example of the genre showing every possible scenario with each girl so all fans can have their good ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm enjoying Neon Alley so far. Not that there aren't a few issues like the buffering and commercial placement. The first 2 days, the service was good but last night we had a lot of buffering problems. Also, it seems they keep changing the schedule around; I hope they get a more permanent one in place soon.

While VOD would be nice (and might happen, eventually) I personally don't mind a schedule, probably because I'm an older fan and can remember having to adhere to one. The only place I regularly watch streamed anime is Netflix but I don't watch it or even my dvds that much. So when it's always there, it's easy to not watch it. (Course that's not so much the case with Netflix, since they remove stuff after a while.) So, for me, it's like being a kid again and watching Saturday morning cartoons, except it's on all the time.

Anyway, they do repeat episodes, plus I believe these shows are or will be on dvd/blu-ray, which I think may be the main reason they started the channel in the first place. Of course, it may become VOD at some point and if successful, go onto other platforms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
I think Viz has been really clear from the beginning that Neon Alley was a TV channel not an on demand service. I think the idea is good; my main problem with anime channels on TV in the past is that I live in a small town where anime channels were never offered. Neon Alley bypasses that problem and now anyone with a PS3 and internet connection can access an anime channel if they want. I personally am not interested in the service right know because most of the shows I already own, and the rest I'm not interested in. But even if in the future they did get a show I was interested in watching I can’t imagine wanting to see a show (dubbed) bad enough to where I just couldn’t wait for it to come out a few months later on DVD/Blu-ray.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of harem anime; they're fun little mindless enjoyment, which we all need sometimes. I just don't see any point in arguing with any detractors of the genre. I have my likes, and you have yours. It isn't worth my time delving into an argument that won't cause you to change your mind in any way. So I'll continue watching and enjoying, without worrying what random internet person #10004563282937 thinks about it.

The Neon Alley is certainly a neat idea in concept; whether it will prove to be successful in execution is another matter, though I do hope it succeeds. That said, I think that success would be more likely if they did switch to on-demand as opposed to being a PS3-only TV channel, setting themselves up as a dub version of Crunchyroll.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that the answerman question got some good responses, especially the one from peter that points out the truely "flawed elitists" will do more than just criticize a show by insulting the fanbase.

I'll proudly say I like Negima, Sekirei, Hayate the combat butler, and freezing without a second because I am able to find the humor or the whole love angle interesting. It is really weird that people find harem shows odd when in reality multiple girls may like a certain individual in school, work, and other places.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I'm glad to see that the answerman question got some good responses, especially the one from peter that points out the truely "flawed elitists" will do more than just criticize a show by insulting the fanbase.

I'll proudly say I like Negima, Sekirei, Hayate the combat butler, and freezing without a second because I am able to find the humor or the whole love angle interesting. It is really weird that people find harem shows odd when in reality multiple girls may like a certain individual in school, work, and other places.

Negima isn't really a harem. I mean, it looks like one, but it's really more a fighting shonen at heart.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Negima was totally a harem manga. It wasn't until much later that it went the shonen action route, but that didn't stop it from still being a harem. It was still about a lone male being surrounded by numerous women who are all potential love interests.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Good article, overall, however one thing does rub this old anime fan the wrong way somewhat:

Quote:
What if I only wanted to watch Tiger & Bunny or Berserk? I'd have to comb through their schedule list and plan ahead. THIS IS 2012. NO ONE DOES THIS ANYMORE BECAUSE IT IS IRRELEVANT. We are spoiled now.

Well, call me old-fashioned, since I do actually watch CW's Vortexx and Adult Swim's Toonami every weekend. Since this is what I grew up on in the 80's and 90's, I find myself enjoying TV channel format more and more. Not that I don't watch anime on the Internet (although I stick with Hulu and Crunchyroll's free ad-supported services), but I for one was glad that Toonami returned the way it was meant to be. So what if I could see all of those shows on demand? That's not really the point.

While I agree that $7 a month is a stupid idea, I think Neon Alley's probably going to jump on the ad-supported bandwagon sooner than later, and from what you've said, I can't wait for it.

P.S. I loved The Click, and was hoping that you'd revive it for Toonami and Vortexx. I really miss it, man. Sad
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't be the only one who would be intrigued by a show called "T&A-rmageddon." I admit that fan-service makes my teeth grind, but I'd give T&A-rmageddon a shot just based on the title.

Glory Questor wrote:

P.S. I loved The Click, and was hoping that you'd revive it for Toonami and Vortexx. I really miss it, man. Sad

I remember enjoying The Click, even when I stopped watching anime on TV (mostly because I stopped watching TV all-together). I understand why it's not done anymore, but they were some pretty entertaining articles. I remember being pretty bummed when the Click ended only to get excited again when I saw that Brian would pick-up Answerman! (Zac was great, too; I think Answerman needs a certain amount of humor to work.) Man, that takes you back, doesn't it?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Negima isn't really a harem. I mean, it looks like one, but it's really more a fighting shonen at heart.

Nnnnnnnnnnngh, honestly anyone would probably say the opposite, that it's a harem at heart that happens to have fighting shonen. Not that I'm one to nitpick about categorizing genres, but I read much of that manga to it's ending so I can safely say that.

ShinnFlowen wrote:
It is really weird that people find harem shows odd when in reality multiple girls may like a certain individual in school, work, and other places.

Well even if that does happen in real life, a harem show would take that idea and twist it to be a male's ultimate escapist fantasy and make a show out of that.

Also, for me, it's not a matter of harems being weird so much as that they get old. It was first amusing watching the different Tenchi series on Toonami when I was... I think 9 or 10 when it was on. Then I got really into Vandread on Encore WAM. Then I was invested in the Negima anime and reading the Negima manga in late high school when I was more into knowing about the culture anime came from. Then somewhere along the line between seeing Shuffle, Sekirei, To-Love-Ru, Rosairo+Vampire, Girls Bravo and whatever else I may have seen, I was... getting bored of it.

If there's going to keep being more harem stories, I would like to for once see something deeper out of one than just the cliches I've seen combined with other cliches of other genres. Vandread was the closest one to doing what I look for (even if some people out there wouldn't classify Vandread as a harem show, the fact is that what I saw out of the show registered in my head as having a harem element). It took an interesting approach regarding interacting with the opposite gender and provided characters with points of view regarding genders and it just felt like the creators took harem and genders and had something to say about it. It would be interesting if harem shows did more of that. I'm not holding my breath in the slightest for that to happen, but it would be interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10