• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shane Black Describes Changes He Opposed to Warner's Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Props to Shane Black for opposing the changes made by the studios on this proposed live action feature but most of all, changing Light's motivation from boredom to vengeance?

Warner Brothers, that's Lelouch Lamperouge's entire motivation in the Code Geass series! He may be similar to Light but he's far different from him! Use that instead!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
If this movie ever manages to be released, I wonder how they'll handle the Shinigami. The designs of Ryuk and the rest are rather unique, and I don't see them being easy to pull off in a live action film. The CG I saw from the Japanese movie trailer didn't exactly impress me.

Also, the should get Alessandro Juliani for L. I know he's quite a bit older than the character, but he did a great job as the dub voice of L from all I've heard and he has live action experience.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
As cool as it would be to have Alessandro Juliani, wouldn't that cause some kind of Screen Actor's Guild issue? Granted, I'm not saying that I wouldn't like him as L. In fact, I greatly fear whoever is going to get put into the role. Nevertheless, I was thinking that it would be sadly difficult for a studio to sign Juliani. I hope that someone can prove me wrong.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Seriously, what is with all the sudden irrational hate for the Japanese live-action films? Those were great, and they were far better than any "effort" Hollywood will put out.

While I will not, EVER, support the create-by-panel Hollywood style of movie making, did you see the Japanese live action Death Notes? How about Detroit Metal City? Over-acting, BAD acting (Misa), poor CG, melodrama, pacing problems, major changes from the source material... and the list could go on. Now, I own the movies, and enjoy them, but I will not defend their artistic merit. Hollywood has a lot of room to improve on the source material.

LOL, I agree. That movie was pretty bad. I enjoyed them as well. This is probably why I don't really feel bothered when it comes to the Hollywood movie. Even when there are anime adaptations a lot of things get changed from the original manga. Not with all anime, of course, but with some titles, so.

Gantz was another example. That movie was caca. But I enjoyed it. And I liked DBZ E even though that movie was also terrible.

I personally don't care if it's Hollywood, Indie or fan made, I feel like some changes are okay because it makes it less predictable (*cough cough* WATCHMEN).
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
@ tygerchickchibi

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the phrase "my cup is empty," but it refers to the idea that a request to know something is sincere. In this case, my question could be taken as mocking but it's indeed sincere. I was curious what redeeming quality Dragonball Evolution had. I wasn't able to enjoy one piece of that movie, which to me had almost no tentative connection to Dragon Ball except for licensing the name.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
@ tygerchickchibi

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the phrase "my cup is empty," but it refers to the idea that a request to know something is sincere. In this case, my question could be taken as mocking but it's indeed sincere. I was curious what redeeming quality Dragonball Evolution had. I wasn't able to enjoy one piece of that movie, which to me had almost no tentative connection to Dragon Ball except for licensing the name.

Hmmm? No, I think you're being honest, so it's okay. I'll be happy to answer this question.

The movie was still connected to the original source moreso than others think. While it wasn't 100% true to the characterization, it actually did follow a bit of the storyline/mythology of the original manga than credited for, IMO.

And I think most people who thought of watching DBE, was first more wondering why it was NOT like Dragon Ball Z. It was following the first Dragon Ball series.

I also came into that theater not taking that movie seriously. While I didn't have high expectations, I also didn't think that one silly movie would ruin a whole franchise. Even with the hate and various angry mobs all over ANN and other sites (with good reason), it just didn't really phase me.

Obviously, it did not ruin the DB franchise. I also just found myself laughing at some scenes, because it was that cheesy to me. So, I don't really hate it cause I generally enjoyed it.

Yes, I wish that another company might have been able to handle it better, and I personally feel that DB is just better as an animation and not a live action movie, regardless of what country it came from.

In short, it's not that serious.

[Awesome, I hit my 900th post. Yes, I know it really doesn't mean anything until I hit 1000.]
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
The next post will be...over 900!

What?! 900?!

(Sorry, I had to. Thanks for letting me indulge myself.)

Thanks, too, for not thinking that I was mocking you or anything like that. Naturally, I never said that Dragonball Evolution ruined the series or anything like that. I've been working at avoiding the term 'hate' when I talk about things, so I don't want to sound like some sort of angry fan.

However, I do have to say that I found Dragonball Evolution to be a film that had few redeeming qualities. I went so far as to say that I actually preferred the live action adaptation of The Last Airbender. I wish that I had done what you did and gone into it think of it as a silly movie. I guess I'll have to learn to do that, considering that a few other live action adaptations of anime series are coming up.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
Dragonball Evolution was terrible because it wasn't Dragon Ball. Goku is a teenager in high school and every other cliche in the book. /facepalm The Last Airbender's problem was the source material wasn't good to begin with. It was still essentially the same overall plot, just cramped in the 2 hour format. This Death Note sounds more like the former. Nothing really like the original source material at all.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Dragonball Evolution was terrible because it wasn't Dragon Ball. Goku is a teenager in high school and every other cliche in the book. /facepalm The Last Airbender's problem was the source material wasn't good to begin with. It was still essentially the same overall plot, just cramped in the 2 hour format. This Death Note sounds more like the former. Nothing really like the original source material at all.

Didn't you read the article, Shane Black said he turned down the changes to the American Deathnote adaptation. Also, Japan and Asia also screwed up when they adapt anime/manga into live-action also like for example, Negima live-action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Dragonball Evolution was terrible because it wasn't Dragon Ball. Goku is a teenager in high school and every other cliche in the book.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
While It wasn't 100% true to the characterization, it actually did follow a bit of the storyline/mythology of the original manga than credited for.

Yes, we're quite aware that Goku was pretty cliche. But he still had some innocence to him, even if it wasn't quite like the anime/manga version.

vashna wrote:

The next post will be...over 900!

What?! 900?!

(Sorry, I had to. Thanks for letting me indulge myself.)

Thanks, too, for not thinking that I was mocking you or anything like that. Naturally, I never said that Dragonball Evolution ruined the series or anything like that. I've been working at avoiding the term 'hate' when I talk about things, so I don't want to sound like some sort of angry fan.

However, I do have to say that I found Dragonball Evolution to be a film that had few redeeming qualities. I went so far as to say that I actually preferred the live action adaptation of The Last Airbender. I wish that I had done what you did and gone into it think of it as a silly movie. I guess I'll have to learn to do that, considering that a few other live action adaptations of anime series are coming up.

Haaha!

Oh, I didn't think you were! It's more of common parts that I hear. as in the example of the second post above me. Fans want a story true to the original source. I understand that. In their perspective it was not. I think to an extent, it was. Not with all the characters, but with some of them.

I guess you can say thatI'm kind of weird when it comes to these things. The only thing I ever raged over when it came to adaptations was the live action Sailor Moon movie.

I wasn't mad over the way it was done, specifically...but the hypocrisy how it could be better than PGSM killed me. Anime hyper;

Ah that's another story for another time~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3