• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network Removes 1st To Love-Ru Darkness Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
The issue is that even if normal fans like myself knew the airing date, wouldn't you think that the simulcast site and licenser would know when it airs? Even if it was a mistake in the contract, they should have known it was a mistake and told the Japanese company. Since they didn't, I'd still put the blame on TAN/Sentai.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Is Japan even getting an uncensored broadcast? I hope so.

We're betting on the AT-X broadcast in a few days, since AT-X tends to be uncensored and because the previous XEBEC/TLR series was uncensored.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
There was probably a mistake in the contract when they accounted for the time and date change. Hopefully, the situation will be resolved quickly. At least it was put on a legitimate streaming sight, and not hacked and uploaded to YouTube like Funi's streaming issues.

The streamrip is already completely out there, and has been for over half a day, available to anyone looking for it. Damage is fully and irreversibly done.

True, but that's going to happen when you stream anywhere at anytime. The big question will be whether it affects the Japanese viewership, which we don't know the answer to.
pokenar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, I don't see SF getting into any major trouble, worst case scenario I can imagine is that it will no longer be put on TAN, and SF will only be doing home video releases.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
shabaz92 wrote:
I did get to watch this before it was pulled. The censoring wasn't that bad. There was still some visible panty shots. The more gratuitous shots were censored, but it far from the worst censor job I've seen.

I don't mind beam of light censoring too much, but Darkness's main draw is how blatant the fanservice is so I'd rather wait until one of the major reasons to watch it are visible.
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
no loss, only version worth watching is the uncensored version.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
It's been delayed for Anime On Demand too in the UK. ~

On their Twitter feed they announced:
Quote:
We're going to be delayed on Chuunibyo, To Love-Ru, Hidamari Sketch and Busou Shinki due to issues outside of our hands by looks of it.

I doubt it is a coincidence that those are all the shows TAN has an exclusive this season.

What really gets me is I posted a message in TAN's forum last night before the simulcast, and while I got a response (from Rai, the same person that authored their announcement), it wasn't what I expected:
Quote:
Nah, the hours are right, are you adjusting for Japan Time?

Our simulcast will go out as planned, as we have had our release dates and hours approved by the licensors. Thanks.

Really, how hard would it have been to double check the time it was scheduled to air in Japan, and ring up someone higher in the company to alert them of a potential problem?

Even if they had a contract in hand that specifically stated they could start streaming at the time they did, it should have been foreseeable that streaming well before it aired in Japan would be an issue.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a mistake that TAN noticed, but failed to point out to the japanese company they got the license through. Then once they uploaded the first episode, they got a complaint from japan. If past cases are any indication, they might lose the right to stream(meaning wait for the uncensored DVD/BR a year or so from now) or it will be delayed for a month or so.

As for the ones asking about the AT-X version. Just checked and AT-X will be airing it on 10/9. So it looks like it's not like Motto To Love-ru, where it aired a week after the censored version.

So if I'm looking at the story, Viz & Crunchyroll are the only ones yet to get caught releasing shows before the air date.

Last edited by tangytangerine on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Anime Network has removed the first episode of the third To Love-Ru -Trouble- television anime series,

Removed! How do they dare?

By Jove, there'll be trouble. Or, literally speaking, there won't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Takuku wrote:
It's been delayed for Anime On Demand too in the UK. ~

On their Twitter feed they announced:
Quote:
We're going to be delayed on Chuunibyo, To Love-Ru, Hidamari Sketch and Busou Shinki due to issues outside of our hands by looks of it.

I doubt it is a coincidence that those are all the shows TAN has an exclusive this season.

What really gets me is I posted a message in TAN's forum last night before the simulcast, and while I got a response (from Rai, the same person that authored their announcement), it wasn't what I expected:
Quote:
Nah, the hours are right, are you adjusting for Japan Time?

Our simulcast will go out as planned, as we have had our release dates and hours approved by the licensors. Thanks.

Really, how hard would it have been to double check the time it was scheduled to air in Japan, and ring up someone higher in the company to alert them of a potential problem?

Even if they had a contract in hand that specifically stated they could start streaming at the time they did, it should have been foreseeable that streaming well before it aired in Japan would be an issue.

They may have double checked and likely did. However, if it was a mistake in the license, or a mistake in the info TAN was given, then it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Even if it was cleared by the higher ups and was still put up, it wouldn't haven made any difference now.

Ultimately, we don't know exactly what happened and can only speculate.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Well, it was the censored version anyway, so it's not a massive loss. I couldn't imagine what would have happened if they had the rights to the uncensored and had aired that when before Japan even got their censored broadcast.

The problem is, it isn't the only simulcast they licensed from TBS this season, so there's reason to believe it may affect the others. Going by TheAncientOne's post in this thread, the Twitter feed seems to confirm those worries, which really kind of ticks me off about the situation. I was looking forward to legal streams for Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb and Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai.
Takuku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
@TheAncientOne

If it's TAN's fault - what I don't get is why should it have an effect for us in the UK which is leading me to think that it's possibly an issue at Japan's end or if it can be done, the simuclast is a sub-license. Though to quote AoD's Andrew:
Quote:
We don't know how long because the issue means we have to revise our entire material delivery network for four titles that we had spent a long time finalising already due to this incident (which was not at all related to us).
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
has anyone considered if this has something to do with the fact that the court date for FUNimation suing ADV is scheduled for tomorrow, October 6th?
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
has anyone considered if this has something to do with the fact that the court date for FUNimation suing ADV is scheduled for tomorrow, October 6th?

God help us all! Rolling Eyes
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

They may have double checked and likely did. However, if it was a mistake in the license, or a mistake in the info TAN was given, then it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Even if it was cleared by the higher ups and was still put up, it wouldn't haven made any difference now.

The reply I received doesn't give me confidence that anything was double-checked (at least between that time and when the simulcast was scheduled to start).

If they had simply checked for themselves when the first broadcast was in Japan, and verified it for themselves, the problem would have been evident. Anyone in the business should know that streaming an episode before it airs in Japan is going to cause problems, regardless of what the contract may state.

The only times you can get away with, "Well, it was in the contract" are when you never plan on signing another contract with that company, or they are so dependent on you they have little choice. Neither applies in this case.

Takuku wrote:
@TheAncientOne

If it's TAN's fault - what I don't get is why should it have an effect for us in the UK which is leading me to think that it's possibly an issue at Japan's end or if it can be done, the simuclast is a sub-license.

I suspect that AoD's license is a sub-license from Sentai, much like Crunchyroll's licenses. It would be a simple matter for Sentai to add on a UK license when negotiating, and then re-license that to AoD, similar to the way they license additional regions to re-license to CR along with the U.S. and Canada.

On that topic, hopefully this has no impact on the licenses CR obtained this season via Sentai.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty shocking.

I mean, that the Anime Network still exists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5