• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About FUNimation's end credits.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Just because it's an English release doesn't give them the right to put their credits first. They only have the ability to sell the show because of the hard work of the Japanese studio that made it. Without the Japanese staff, they have nothing. Therefore, the Japanese staff should get credited first.

The NA licensor/English dub studio did not make the damn show. They're just leasing it. Out of respect, the credits to the Japanese version should come first, ideally.

Um, dude? No one gives a toss what your personal opinion is. What's relevant is, what is the proper business practice? All around the world, I'm pretty sure you'll find - even in Japan - that localized products show the localized credits first. You can cry in your beer all you want over the sheer injustice of it, but that's the way the real world works.
manicli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Just because it's an English release doesn't give them the right to put their credits first. They only have the ability to sell the show because of the hard work of the Japanese studio that made it. Without the Japanese staff, they have nothing. Therefore, the Japanese staff should get credited first.

The NA licensor/English dub studio did not make the damn show. They're just leasing it. Out of respect, the credits to the Japanese version should come first, ideally.

Um, dude? No one gives a toss what your personal opinion is. What's relevant is, what is the proper business practice? All around the world, I'm pretty sure you'll find - even in Japan - that localized products show the localized credits first. You can cry in your beer all you want over the sheer injustice of it, but that's the way the real world works.

+1

Really though this discussion is going no where. Both sides have made their points and one side is clearly not going to listen to logic, that or they don't understand the basics of business which is entirely possible. We don't have the right to tell you what to believe so someone please lock this thread.

Last edited by manicli on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Everybody does something, therefore it's right to do it!

Wonderful logic.

Quote:
Nobody gives a toss what your personal opinion is.

Well, I guess I'll just stop posting, because not enough people agree with me! Makes total sense.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Blood- wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Everybody does something, therefore it's right to do it!

Wonderful logic.

What ... as opposed to your, "sniff-sniff, I feel strongly about this so the world should follow my opinion?" Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
For the record, Sentai currently shows the complet Japanese ending, with the complete Japanese credits, in Japanese first. Then they switch to a black screen and provide the translated credits. I think Nozomi does this also. If Funimation adopted this method it would stop all their problems with end credits.

As to which come first in the translated version. I think this is a complete non issue. As someone pointed out early in this thread, if the Japanese licensor cared it would be done their way. If they don't care why should we??

On some DVD I have seen the version of the credits (which cast is listed) was dependent on the audio stream you were listening to. I can't remember the title at the moment.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
For the record, Sentai currently shows the complet Japanese ending, with the complete Japanese credits, in Japanese first. Then they switch to a black screen and provide the translated credits. I think Nozomi does this also. If Funimation adopted this method it would stop all their problems with end credits.

Funimation had my favorite way of opening/end credits when they offer them both and you'd pick which one to watch. If you watched the dub, you'd get the english credits but if you watched the japanese, you'd get kanji. {Also appears in Rightstuff's/Nozomi's better releases}

I think even the DB orange boxes did it but it was pretty much all the time in their single releases.

Anyway, there are no problems; At least with the english names, there are consistant spellings for easy comparison {Is Shin Oonuma the same as Shin Ohnuma somehow?}. Unlike Sentai's habit of running the same length credits without sound and bland font. Oh yeah, one of the Clannads played some ending music, bravo. It's like they know how stupid it would be if they ran that overlay {which is all it is} with the creditless ending after running the regular ending even knowing it would be an improvement.

Worst credits Ever: Tenchi Muyo GXP. No japanese voice actors named, all english names are lumped together with no listed roles and there's a number of stage names on top of that.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Why is this even an issue? As long as everyone is properly credited, doesn't matter when and where they do it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Why is this even an issue? As long as everyone is properly credited, doesn't matter when and where they do it.

Exactly. My personal preference, when there is a dub, is to have the English VAs credited first, because I tend to listen to the dub, first. But it really makes zero difference to me in the grand scheme of things. Insisting that there is only one right way is dopey. I can see the rationale for both ways.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Your opinion is motivated soley on self-interest. You watch the English version, therefore you want the English credits first, regardless of who's more responsible for the show.

I can go either way. Sometimes I prefer the Japanese version (okay, I have a tendancy to), but on occasion I prefer the English version. That's irrelevant, though, because the English cast didn't make the show, they don't deserve the first credits.

But I'm not exactly shaking my fist when I see the English credits first. As long as everyone's credited, I'm (mostly) fine. I just wanted to point out that is more logical to put the Japanese cast first, since they were the original cast.

If I take an artist's beautiful painting and give it a really great frame, who should get the first credit, me, or the artist?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Your frame analogy doesn't hold up. A localization isn't simply providing a frame for an existing painting ... it is adding to the painting itself. I don't argue that the Japanese creators and staff are most responsible for the work. That is beyond dispute. All I'm saying is that when you localize a work, there is a rationale for crediting the localization cast first. Individuals like you and I may disagree on which way we prefer, but it is ridiculous to say that there is only one right way. It's not like I'm saying that the caterers should get credited before the writers or anything.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You have so little respect for the people who make these shows, why do you watch them at all?

I watch the shows because I like the shows. It really is very simple.

As for the order of the credits, I do not think of having the Japanese second as being disrespectful. If the Japanese really cared about being first they would make that a condition of the license. Since they apparently do not care I see no reason why I should. And I don't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
If it's a bonus for those mad, the shows with dubbed songs do not have the English singers credited. I personally would like to know who the singers are, so it does irk me a little.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
If it's a bonus for those mad, the shows with dubbed songs do not have the English singers credited. I personally would like to know who the singers are, so it does irk me a little.

Wait, Funimation didn't credit the English singers for releases that have English openings???
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

Wait, Funimation didn't credit the English singers for releases that have English openings???

They never did that I know of.
The encyclopedia does have some of the singers listed.
Dubbed songs seem to be very rare now, even for Funimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, even if they don't dub openings and endings of a series, if a character sings in the show, they will dub that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5