• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The 1001 Tales of the Arabian Nights is one of my favorite things to read. I was honestly really excited when I saw that this had been adopted as a somewhat upcoming anime. I know there have been some detractors here, but I've honestly thought for a long time about how the Arabian Nights stories could easily translate into an anime series.

I remember thinking the same thing about Mary Norton's The Borrowers for a long period of time, and then I woke up one day to find that the Secret World of Arrietty had been made. While Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves and Aladdin and the Magic Lamp are by far the most popular stories from the Arabian Nights, I'd love to see other ones adapted as well. Maybe someone could correct me. I'd be elated if there was a Sinbad the Sailor anime out there somewhere.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well I can say this Autumn release has three more titles that I have interest to at least try, and that's three more than has been released in the last 2 years when I feared I would never see another series that didn't make me feel anime wasn't for me anymore.

wow, that sounds even worse than me. I had at least a few isolated shows that reminded me of why I'd become an anime fan in the first place (Beast Player Erin (ok that's 3 years old), Bunny Drop, Space Brothers, Chihayafuru, Madoka, Wandering Son, Princess Jellyfish).

Which shows are you betting on? Magi + 2 noitaminas? And I wouldn't mind if the last shojo would actually turn out to be a good one rather than complete average and for Code Breaker to be a lot better than K and Tempest. Also still interested in Jojo's bizarre adventure (because it's such a classic), Blue World and the Okinawa show.

vashna wrote:
I've honestly thought for a long time about how the Arabian Nights stories could easily translate into an anime series.

There's also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_Nights:_Sinbad's_Adventures
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Seeing how shows like Kyousogiga are included but not others, if people are interested in the complete list of stuff, like: Kami-sama Kiss, Backstage Idol Story, Seitokai no Ichizon 2, along with Minami-ke and other OVAs
see:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar

I wonder why ANN didn't include them on the final list?
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks maaya, that series you linked to sounds like a lot of classic 70s style anime fun. I thought that the image in ANN's encyclopedia illustrating the Sinbad show was rather cute. Were there any others like this you could think of? Thanks!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Magi definitely looks great to me. I'm in!
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
If anyone genuinely gets interested in the source material behind Magi, I thought it might help if they had this source:

http://www.bartleby.com/16/

It provides the most common stories of the Arabian Nights.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
While it's not an anime, Jmanga has a manga adaptation of One Thousand and One Nights. I've only read the preview, but it seems to be a straightforward adaption instead of only based on it.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the link; I'll definitely be sure to check that out.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Again magi really has nothing in common with 1001 nights except for characters and themes but the manga is still really really good.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Again magi really has nothing in common with 1001 nights except for characters and themes but the manga is still really really good.

It's just loosely based off of Aladdin much like ponyo was based off of the little mermaid, but I get your point bud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
The 1001 Tales of the Arabian Nights is one of my favorite things to read. I was honestly really excited when I saw that this had been adopted as a somewhat upcoming anime. I know there have been some detractors here, but I've honestly thought for a long time about how the Arabian Nights stories could easily translate into an anime series.

I remember thinking the same thing about Mary Norton's The Borrowers for a long period of time, and then I woke up one day to find that the Secret World of Arrietty had been made. While Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves and Aladdin and the Magic Lamp are by far the most popular stories from the Arabian Nights, I'd love to see other ones adapted as well. Maybe someone could correct me. I'd be elated if there was a Sinbad the Sailor anime out there somewhere.

I think we both know that Tale of Kamar al-Zaman is the most anime friendly of all the stories, with the possible exception of The Hunchback's Tale/Tale of the Jewish Doctor due to the hilariously awkward religious politics only an east Asian country could fail to notice.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Scalfin, the way that you put that makes it sound like the Tale of the Jewish Doctor could be turned into some sort of strange historical version of Hetalia Axis Powers. Strangely enough, I could actually see that happening. Perhaps more strange is that I would actually watch that. As for Magi's historicity, I don't really mind. I thought that the idea itself was kind of nice. I'll be sure to check it out if the opportunity arises.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if anything could beat the Ray Harryhausen "Dynamation" Sinbad movies. Laughing
silverfalconsoul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The new gintama season is posted as a new series apart from Gintama' it's called Gintama' Enchousen but it is continuing in episode number from Gintama'. Could you please add this to your spotlight list or just in the fall anime list in general i find it saddening its not there Sad

Here's the link for proof

http://myanimelist.net/anime/15417/Gintama_Enchousen
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Aikatsu A candy shop kaleidoscope of sweetness and colours. A mixture of 2D and MMD; this is idol worship of the cute and cuddly kind, but I only worship Jesus, and Hatsune Miku, so not for me. However if I was a 10 year old girl with a dream of the bright lights and cheering crowds, I would be all over it.

Anymore left? Next?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 39