• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm OCD about splitting series between shelves, so I could never do alphabetical. Only for anime. And my shelves are double deep. I figure I can see what's in front, so I put sticky notes to tell me what's behind, that helps by a lot. So my organization is pretty much whatever fits onto a shelf with no bleed-over. Oh and my five favorite series need to be on the front row (Banana Fish, Twin Spica, Maison Ikkoku, Hikaru no Go, and Firefighter Daigo, the shortest of those is 15 volumes, though Twin Spica takes up less space than 16 volumes due to paper quality (still good) and omnibus formats). And all of the Tezuka, Fumi Yoshinaga, and GTO have their own sections. Sadly, Black Jack is split, yet I seem to allow it there with minimal annoyance to me...
If I ever were to get big bookshelves that covered the whole wall with one row of manga (no back row), I would love to go alphabetical, and a split onto the shelf directly next to it wouldn't annoy me (now a split down a row would). But I gotta work with what I got, which is why it can't be alphabetical for me anytime soon.
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
mine is mostly arranged by size and author but its a very loose system, mostly im happy to just not have series running off one shelf onto another.

One piece is gonna really stick in my craw in that regard.

I hate it when that happens too, lol.

I arrange by size and language. Large English books -> Standard-size English books -> Small English books. These are alphabetized.

My Japanese manga is arranged more by genre/category and size. I have a shelf entirely of cat-themed manga, and then a shelf of BL, etc.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm OCD about splitting series between shelves, so I could never do alphabetical. Only for anime. And my shelves are double deep. I figure I can see what's in front, so I put sticky notes to tell me what's behind, that helps by a lot. So my organization is pretty much whatever fits onto a shelf with no bleed-over. Oh and my five favorite series need to be on the front row (Banana Fish, Twin Spica, Maison Ikkoku, Hikaru no Go, and Firefighter Daigo, the shortest of those is 15 volumes, though Twin Spica takes up less space than 16 volumes due to paper quality (still good) and omnibus formats). And all of the Tezuka, Fumi Yoshinaga, and GTO have their own sections. Sadly, Black Jack is split, yet I seem to allow it there with minimal annoyance to me...
If I ever were to get big bookshelves that covered the whole wall with one row of manga (no back row), I would love to go alphabetical, and a split onto the shelf directly next to it wouldn't annoy me (now a split down a row would). But I gotta work with what I got, which is why it can't be alphabetical for me anytime soon.

id get Firefighter Daigo if it wernt so OOP, seems like the majority of viz titles i discover these days are OOP

and double filling shelves would drive me mad too, i know its a practicality thing. Im just glad i lead a bit of a charmed existence and have a house all to myself so i can clad the walls in shelving in this back room of mine and go nuts with books.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
So curious anyone with a Billy Book Shelf from Ikea? I am thinking of ways of rearranging my shelves to get more series on? I think I am about at my limits. Well perhaps I have a room for a few more short series). But I think maybe I am not utilizing the shelf space to its fullest potential.

I have one one shelf: Ruroni Kenshin and Hikaru no Go (full series)
Second shelf- Fruits Basket (complete), Natsume Yuujinchou (ongoing), a few random individual titles
3rd Shelf: Mushishi (complete), Yotsubato (ongoing), a couple art books
4th shelf: Maison Ikkoku (Complete), Usagi Drop (4 vol, but complete to me), Cross Game (almost complete)
5th shelf: Ranma 1/2 (incomplete random volumes), Mermaid Saga (Complete), One Pound Gospel (Complete),
6th shelf: Nodame Cantabile (sadly incomplete), a few art books.

I also have a separate shelf of all my Fullmetal Alchemist books, but I think I will keep that separate.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This is how I display the manga that I am currently collecting.

This is how I store the completed or discontinued series and those I am not currently reading.

Last edited by Alan45 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow awesome, I wish I had all that shelf and storage space.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I need it, I'm currently a bit above 3800 volumes of manga. That does not include the stuff in comic book (floppy) form in the boxes in the bottom picture. They date from the early days of my collecting.

I just wish I had shelf space for all of it. I figure about 3/4 is stored in boxes.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I need it, I'm currently a bit above 3800 volumes of manga. That does not include the stuff in comic book (floppy) form in the boxes in the bottom picture. They date from the early days of my collecting.

I just wish I had shelf space for all of it. I figure about 3/4 is stored in boxes.

Wow, that is a lot of manga! Very cool!

Do you collect everything, or just go after series you're interested in? How long have you specifically been collecting manga for?

Is it all in English?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Granted I don't have even close to the amount of manga as you, but my issue is even if I wanted to I don't have the wall space for all those shelves. At the moment I have 2 billy book shelves (and one is occupied by normal books). I also have 2 mini shelves (one as I said is housing my Fullmetal Alchemist collection).

My dream place would have space for a wall of shelves (and perhaps some glass cabinets for figures). But that's just a dream. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been collecting manga and anime since 1997. I don't buy anything that I don't intend to read. However, I do have a fair amount that I haven't finished.

Each month I get Diamond's Previews from the local comic shop. I go through it and preorder anything that the description makes look interesting. I get a discount for buying in bulk. Very Happy I also check out series I passed up at Barnes & Noble and occasional pick up stuff that way.

I don't read Japanese, but I do have a box full of Japanese language volumes that I picked up for curiositiy's sake.

The three sections that have manga are half that set of shelves. There are an additional three sections that hold anime. The whole set runs floor to ceiling, seven shelves high and about 12 feet wide. It fills that whole wall. Additional anime, figures and posters have spread to four different rooms in the house. My collection is rather smaller than my wife's doll collection though.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
I wish I had a wall long enough for lots of bookcases, now it's just kind of spread out in chunks. The one in my stufy is 2,6m, I think. But I do have a total of six Billy bookcases lining the walls of that room, so I have no right to complain Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
When I move to a bigger place, I'm gonna create a Batcave full of manga and anime and other nerdy things and it will be epic. For now, I have 2 bookshelves and a cupboard.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Wooooow. *claps enthusiastically* That is the most impressive collection I have ever seen in my life.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks, I'll have to post photos of the rest of it some time, mostly anime and figures though.
underlock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of George Carlin's take on house.

You're so organized. Don't think I'd be able to do that. Think about all the dusting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 38