• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Creepy Creatures Worth Screaming About

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of No Face, did anyone Watch Gravity Falls last night? The monster was clearly an homage to him.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I was stuck between Yotsuba Koiwai from Yotsuba&! and Rin from Inuyasha. I ended up choosing Rin because of the possible handful Yotsuba-chan could end up being xD, not to mention Rin is one of the more down-to-Earth characters I have seen.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I found neither Demonsaurus (King of Thorn; really didn't like this film) nor Envy's True Form (FMA:B) scary. The heavy use CGI made them look like Play-Doh monsters created from a bored 16 year old. Also, No Face was only intimidating when he chasing Chihiro during the final act but never "scary".

Otherwise, no "thing" on this list truly scared me. Actually, monsters don't scare me that much because I usually get scared from the concept of real things, like fear of drowning or being chased by another human or seeing a loved one in trouble. Monsters are obviously fictional so it's difficult for me to get scared. Unless it's presented in a terrifying way.

*shrug* But maybe if I were younger, sure, Human-Fish Hybrid (Gyo) would creep me out.

Not a lot of older anime on this list other than Akira which is too bad. Plenty of creepy stuff from the 1980's; thank you Benett the Sage. =___=
(BTW how the heck were the teddy bears scary? Did you see Tetsuo at the end of the film?!?) O_e
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't see the Gyo OVA (yet-- I'd like to) but the manga is super-creepy. I found myself staring at certain panels in dread, like I couldn't look away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if that thing in Cowboy Bebop was a lobster (the contents of the fridge were, but was that blob the lobster?), but yeah, that fridge was worse than an episode of hoarders (ever see the broken fridges in some of those houses?) I'm just wondering how Ed was immune.

To bad Uzumaki doesn't have an anime, as some of the spiral stuff was way freakier than the human-fish, which I found to be more campy than scary. Also, I almost failed to mention The Enigma of Amigara Fault, a one shot of some of the creepiest Junji Ito has to offer. Instead of something else causing a horrific monster form, people are compelled to do it themselves. Glad I don't live near any cliffs.
Also in the manga department, Parasyte has lots of creepy body horror all over it. The fact that the main character's arm is now a parasyte and can turn into a scythe is downright normal looking compared to the flying dog monster and all the other parasytes. And because Hitoshi Iwaaki is so damn awesome at art, every single parasyte human gives off an uncanny valley vibe, right before they transform their heads into a whirl of blades.

The stuffed animals in Akira? What about Tetsuo's spoiler[transformation form? That thing killed people and Tetsuo could feel it kill his girlfriend]

Fruits Basket: spoiler[Kyo's true form], which is also said to reek of rotting flesh. Maybe not too bad from a seinen series, but this is a fluffy shojo (well sometimes it's a fluffy shojo, more often it's a soul crushingly depressing shojo, but still awesome for it)
underlock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they all suck? Probably Eclipse if they made it like Starship Troopers.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh god - I can't choose between Binbogami ga! and Joshiraku.

Seriously, I doubt any of the shows this season would make good live action, but at least the above two would have the potential to be hilarious.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
Oh god - I can't choose between Binbogami ga! and Joshiraku.

Seriously, I doubt any of the shows this season would make good live action, but at least the above two would have the potential to be hilarious.

Question is, live-action where? In Japan, you could definitely get away with a few cute rakugo girls making small talk and delving into societal issues with comedy being made into a live-action film, or at least a dorama. If we're talking United Clapistan, then maybe the one with the explosions and most blatant sexism.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I should qualify that I meant in a short-ish form (e.g. movie-length) live action. If someone were to do a live-action TV series of Sword Art Online it could work well, for the same reasons that the anime works pretty well. It might even be better as live-action. At the very least it would have some lovely visual effects.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

To bad Uzumaki doesn't have an anime, as some of the spiral stuff was way freakier than the human-fish, which I found to be more campy than scary.

Uzumaki was great, I really liked that manga and it was my introduction to Ito's work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking about manga the zombies from I am a hero gotta be front runner for me. Mostly its the way they get all distorted and can still talk kinda, muttering phrases of things they were concerned with and repeating actions they did when they were normal.

some of the stuff from Gantz is pretty messed up too
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I kind of liked that thing from Princess Resurrection, the one that took over people by ramming itself down still living people's throats who recovered through a process of regurgitation {Wow, nothing like combining a rape metaphor with the wholesomeness of a severe involuntary body reaction as its cure. Thanks Japan} - a thing that must be the size of a small dog. And of course tentacles are involved at some point, this is anime after all.

As a thing based on the Thing, it was named after the Thing thing that was a head thingy from the Thing remake, not the thing Thing remake but the Thing that was the remake of the Thing From Another World.

...or something...

Gyo was made into an OVA? I thought the manga was kind of creepy and promising until...

Land Shark!

Anyway, I went for the live action Binbogama Ga because it would have the most reason as a live action project ... cast diversity filled with sight gags. I still hear the ignorant cries of "Why isn't Goku asian?" to this day. There are too many problems with Evolution but that wasn't one of them.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Rika getting 4th tells me more people need to watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. Nipaaah!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
If creatures count humanoids then the ghost in the mansion in Ghost Hunt hands down was the only time I got creeped out by an anime. I am talking about the episode where they go to an old mansion and in the end they cant defeat the ghost and just leave it there.

I think in a live action setting the Rozen maiden dolls would be creepy, but honestly in the anime format they just look like undersized girls, really human like. I dont know if that a constraint of the medium or if they ae supposed to be that human like.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I don't know if that thing in Cowboy Bebop was a lobster (the contents of the fridge were, but was that blob the lobster?), but yeah, that fridge was worse than an episode of hoarders (ever see the broken fridges in some of those houses?) I'm just wondering how Ed was immune.

yes, the anime episode said it was a lobster. Spike opens it up and then he tells you a fast back story about him getting this lobster from the ocean they visited and forgot about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3