• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Mazinger Z Super Robot TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just...wow. This is awesome. I will be buying each of these sets day 1. I've always wanted to see this. In fact, I almost started importing the Japanese dvd's.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
We'd better hope these dream licenses turn profits.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I will gladly end up buying this based on its inherent historical importance alone, as a mecha fan, but I doubt I'll get through most of the episodes anytime soon. Laughing
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I wonder if it will include the English dub as well.

KOJI! KOJI!! KOJI!!!

That would be a nice treat indeed! Razz
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME! I remember watching this as a kid on network tv. WANT!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
People for years have said that this license would never be had as a result of Bunker Jenkins' productions holding perpetual rights to the property in the west, never mind the fact that the production had since been dissolved.

Today, that negative noid has officially been put to rest with the announcement that Discotek will officially release Mazinger Z on DVD.

Discotek, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU! Thank you for reaching out into the abyss of licensing limbo to help pull out Mazinger. You have my eternal gratitude and the gratitude of all the old school mecha fans out there.

I am in tears of happiness writing this. I honestly never thought this day will come. Maybe there will be hope that the 60's Batman TV series will finally get its home disc release after all. Very Happy
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
After enjoying Gurren Lagann and GaoGaiGar, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the classic super robot series that they're based off of. 92 episodes is a bit long, but I'm willing to support Discotek in their endeavor for bringing over old anime that seem like long shots.

You're awesome Discotek!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
More Mazinger anime on R1 DVD is goos news. For a while, I was worried that the classic wasn't going to get a R1 DVD release due to the lack of appreciation for Go Nagai's works in North American, but now the entirety of an amazing can finally be experienced in its uncut form, and now today's generation of North American otaku can finally experience the classic that started it all for piloted giant robot-themed anime.

Here's hoping that this show makes it to the Canadian T.V. network airwaves (like say on Canada's Adult Swim, SPACE: The Imagination Station, and Teletoon Retro) in the future, and what might help things further is if VIZ Media would license the 1972 Mazinger Z manga series for the English language Shonen Jump books.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm only familiar with this because of the Tranzor Z adaptation that I watched as a kid, but I'll have to give serious consideration to picking this up. I'm not a huge mecha fan, but there is a bit of the nostalgia factor in play, so I can see me buying this.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Close to year to come out? That seems a bit excessive for a basic sub-only set.

Except that you must have missed the part that says "92 Episodes." Also add to it that this isn't the only title they are going to be working on. If you are not aware already, Discotek is a very small company. I think a year is a fair amount of time to expect, all things considered.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that they licensed another TV anime with a long number of episodes. I'll definately buy it, cause I always wanted to see the whole original series. And I wish Discotek luck that it'll make a profit in the states.
Bamble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
People for years have said that this license would never be had as a result of Bunker Jenkins' productions holding perpetual rights to the property in the west, never mind the fact that the production had since been dissolved.

I'd actually assumed it was because of the sometimes-shaky relationship between Toei and Dynamic over the years. Every time Toei put out a prospective list of older series that they might release in English over the last few years (Harlock, Galaxy Express, et. al), all the Go Nagai-related shows were always absent.

As for both latest licenses from the once impenetrable Toei, all I can say is that Discotek continue to make a case for me to simply give them my bank account details upfront!
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
This is all well and good but where the hell is Neo Getter vs Shin Getter Robo? It's just 4 episodes! ZET!
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Oh man, we have to wait a whole year?

I guess it's all the same, I just finished watching the show with those dreadful HK bootleg subs just a couple of weeks ago so I'm not looking forward to watching it again anytime soon anyway, especially since I've Great Mazinger and Grendizer to crawl through...

FaytLein wrote:

No. We need this to sell to get GREAT Mazinger, then get GRENDIZER.

I did, for a long time, consider a US release of the entire Fist of the North Star a pipe dream.

Then it happened.

I also considered Mazinger Z a pipe dream. And now it's happening too.

I guess the universe really is infinite - nothing is unpossible!

I'd love to see an official US release of Grendizer just to put a sock in Wasim's mouth at last, too.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I've actually watched about 40 episodes of this, via a Hong Kong box set with HK subs. Sans the subs, it was pretty good. But, you have to be like me, and appreciate the episodic, monster-of-the-week scenario or you'll hate it. Awesome news, I may have to grab this. I've got all of Mazinkaiser, sans the 45 min ova. And, would like to add this and any other Mazinger/Shin Mazinger to my collection. And, pretty much any Go Nagai for that matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3