• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tangential learning.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I went into (and later applied and was hired by) a bread store, because of Yakitate Japan.
That is truly impressive. Is this just a job for you, or is it a possible career?
Tris8 wrote:
Hikaru no Go inspired me to try playing Go. There are a ton of online sites where you can play against real people or computers. I'm really bad, so I mainly play against the computer on the easiest setting possible. Also, seeing Shogi pop up in many different shows inspired me to try that too, but I don't like it half as much as Go so I haven't kept up with it.
I have a Go board in my classroom that I got as an end of year gift from a student who got interested in Asian board games because of anime!
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I went into (and later applied and was hired by) a bread store, because of Yakitate Japan.
That is truly impressive. Is this just a job for you, or is it a possible career?

I'm not there anymore, but that was 6 years ago, and I'm still in food service at fast-casual sandwich shops ^^;
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Hikaru no Go inspired me to try playing Go. There are a ton of online sites where you can play against real people or computers. I'm really bad, so I mainly play against the computer on the easiest setting possible. Also, seeing Shogi pop up in many different shows inspired me to try that too, but I don't like it half as much as Go so I haven't kept up with it.
I have a Go board in my classroom that I got as an end of year gift from a student who got interested in Asian board games because of anime!
That's really cool! I don't own a Go board or stones, but Christmas is coming up so we'll see... C=
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Lets see, for one this reminds me of a topic in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, itself a minefield of topics.

I was pushed into learning about Lovecraft based of the anime shorts Haiyore Nayroani, wikipedia was basically the foundation for that, and I looked at a lot of how Lovecraft has had influence over modern fiction.

I think Rosario Vampire got me into looking up about various youkai, this was a build on from me looking up various myths from around the world while I was in high school. A few other anime have also gotten me to learn about other specific ones also.

I also started looking up on the nordic world tree myths after Astarotte's Toy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2