• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm calling it now. Ixion Saga is the best anime this season. I'm serious. Serious as a heart attack. God, I love this show so much. It's a call back to those old '90s fantasy/comedies that made anime so great. It makes me what to break out my Slayers DVDs and marathon them. And the comedy! Buying the stupid gaudy dragon shoes. "A CRIME! THERE'S A CRIME IN PROGRESS!" "That's so cliche it wouldn't even be used in an anime!" "'It's two against one!' 'Don't you mean three against one?' 'Whoa, are you super strong to?'" And the Cyber sex! Best show of the season, right here.

And I've fallen in love again. Oh, Marian, you are my hero. I love your beautiful hair, and sense of style, and the fact you totally kick ass and look good doing it. I mean, what I'm trying to say is that Iowa is only about a 12 hours away. Think about it. I'll be waiting for you.

//Now, time for bed. I think I will break out the ol' Slayers OVAs. It'll put me to sleep at least.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I really did not think Zac was gonna go through the trouble of watching JOJO since it wasn't licensed. I did not see this coming lol

Anyways, we all know now who's the biggest asshole in Anime......DIO!!!! BAKOOM!

I'll be catching up all afternoon today. I have something like 5 more shows to go (Little Busters was just posted).

Holy cow, a one-two punch from Zac and Bamboo on ONIAI. Marvelous! I love it! Also, totally agree with Zac's assessment of Btooom, only would add that the jerk couldn't be bothered to thank his mom for trying to help him get a job. Oh no, he's too good to work at a grocery store! fudge, I really, really hate hikikis with the passion of 1000 red-hot suns.
Normally I'd agree with this. But, I can unfortunately view it from his perspective. Sometimes in life, things just don't work out the way you want and when you finally get a plan that SEEMS to be working, obstacles still get in the way. It' stressful, and then sometimes the people around you start to try and help you. You refuse their help time and time again but they keep pestering you and pestering you until it drives you crazy and makes you yell or worse. For all we know, his mother could have been pestering him non-stop for days, weeks, even years. She also basically spat on his dreams with what she said, which is something I don't think anyone should do, at least not in that way. She could've said in a nicer way such as "in the mean time, come work at my friends place" or similar.

Wait what? He's been trying for two years. Meanwhile, he's loafing around at home doing nothing. The TV studios are, in a typical Japanese way, trying to tell him he's not going to get a job so buzz off (he's just too stupid or ignorant to get it). Damn straight he should [expletive] get a job at the grocery store! Stop being a bum and leeching off your mama!

Forgive me for being this way, but I've been there, and it just makes me furious when I hear someone refuse to do something *in the mean time* to support their family.

Yes should support his family, and no she should not have spat at his dream like that.

that said I doubt that any of the flashback scenes even took place. since the whole time there was obviously something wrong with the mother in both scenes.

OK, maybe I am overreacting and perhaps she could have been nicer about it. As for why she looked like that, it was weird. Maybe "they" drugged her. The fact that he doesn't seem to notice is also strange.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Well, I've seen my first and probably last episode of Magi now. There was some nice animation, but nothing else that appealed to me even slightly.

yep, I was hoping for this to kinda be the next Beast Player Erin, but I guess I expected too much and the wrong things from the author of Sumomomo Momomo. As for your spoiler question, no, if anything, those seem to be simple anachronisms. I'll maybe try a few volumes of the manga to see if this develops into a more interesting story (it's so successful after all), but that first episode definitely wasn't very impressive.

Seems like I again have to rely on noitamina to save a season ...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of Btooom, and im curious as to how this will play out. Vaguely reminds me of Predators. However, I really do not like the main character right now. i'm really hoping he will become more likeable, and i assume the blonde will help with that. I think it would be hilarious if she turned out to be his video game wife
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
vanfanel wrote:
Well, I've seen my first and probably last episode of Magi now. There was some nice animation, but nothing else that appealed to me even slightly.

yep, I was hoping for this to kinda be the next Beast Player Erin, but I guess I expected too much and the wrong things from the author of Sumomomo Momomo. As for your spoiler question, no, if anything, those seem to be simple anachronisms. I'll maybe try a few volumes of the manga to see if this develops into a more interesting story (it's so successful after all), but that first episode definitely wasn't very impressive.

Seems like I again have to rely on noitamina to save a season ...

YAY! a beast player erin fan! that's one of my favorite shows I wish NIS would release it on bluray or dvd
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for Media Blasters to pick it up, since they also released Guardian of the Spirit and 12 Kingdoms and they said these kind of mainstream fantasies sell pretty well in the US. Or maybe Sentai because they also got Guin Saga (which is a lot shorter though).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
I was hoping for Media Blasters to pick it up, since they also released Guardian of the Spirit and 12 Kingdoms and they said these kind of mainstream fantasies sell pretty well in the US. Or maybe Sentai because they also got Guin Saga (which is a lot shorter though).

No it would be NIS since it is small fanbase that actually has money mainly. NIS loves to court the high brow fans.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
apparently it's not a small fanbase (or rather customer base). But I'd be happy with any publisher ... and even more with a second season.

Last edited by maaya on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I really did not think Zac was gonna go through the trouble of watching JOJO since it wasn't licensed. I did not see this coming lol

Anyways, we all know now who's the biggest asshole in Anime......DIO!!!! BAKOOM!

I'll be catching up all afternoon today. I have something like 5 more shows to go (Little Busters was just posted).

Holy cow, a one-two punch from Zac and Bamboo on ONIAI. Marvelous! I love it! Also, totally agree with Zac's assessment of Btooom, only would add that the jerk couldn't be bothered to thank his mom for trying to help him get a job. Oh no, he's too good to work at a grocery store! fudge, I really, really hate hikikis with the passion of 1000 red-hot suns.

I would rather face this then go through another episode of that imouto anime.... and this is coming from a guy that usually likes this stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRaL23g6pA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
apparently it's not a small fanbase (or rather customer base). But I'd be happy with any publisher ... and even more with a second season.

trust me you don't I got a spoiler for books three and four and I regreat it a lot now. trust me you don't.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks to those who answered my question about the world in Magi.

BTW, Maaya, I started watching "Beast Player Erin," enjoyed it enough to start reading the first book, then quickly dropped the anime because I didn't want to be spoiled with a so-so adaptation. If you are Japanese and/or read Japanese, then by all means read books 1 and 2!
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Magi's first episode was shounen as hell, but much improved upon the manga beginning to the series which was also shounen as hell and boring to boot. About the only issue was the treatment of Mor. spoiler[You don't introduce your tank by making her in need of rescue from a generic plant-monster, dammit.]

I've read the manga, so it's the series I have the highest hopes for this season. For those of you that were understandably "eh" on the first episode, I will say that all the women in the series are awesome--most of the characters are really good, but the ladies especially, even if Alibaba is my favorite character--and the series does get a lot more involving. To me, it kinda wound up being a weird fusion of 1001 Nights, One Piece and Twelve Kingdoms, with a dash of FMA.

Last edited by musouka on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I'm calling it now. Ixion Saga is the best anime this season. I'm serious. Serious as a heart attack. God, I love this show so much. It's a call back to those old '90s fantasy/comedies that made anime so great. It makes me what to break out my Slayers DVDs and marathon them. And the comedy! Buying the stupid gaudy dragon shoes. "A CRIME! THERE'S A CRIME IN PROGRESS!" "That's so cliche it wouldn't even be used in an anime!" "'It's two against one!' 'Don't you mean three against one?' 'Whoa, are you super strong to?'" And the Cyber sex! Best show of the season, right here.

And I've fallen in love again. Oh, Marian, you are my hero. I love your beautiful hair, and sense of style, and the fact you totally kick ass and look good doing it. I mean, what I'm trying to say is that Iowa is only about a 12 hours away. Think about it. I'll be waiting for you.

//Now, time for bed. I think I will break out the ol' Slayers OVAs. It'll put me to sleep at least.

LOL! I agree. And i'm glad i'm not the only one who got Slayers-vibes from it. Not sure if it's really gonna be the best show of the season but it's definitely been the most pleasant surprise so far. And i can't believe people are seriously discussing this show in terms of whether or not it makes sense... i'm pretty sure that making sense is not especially high on the list of priorities for the creators of this show which is completely fine with me! I think i'm gonna have a lot of fun with this one. Laughing
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
Bamboo's review of ONIAI has me in tears! Seriously, I'm at work right now and tears are rolling down my cheeks from laughing so much.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I think that the tone of this show is just pretty lighthearted and silly, so characters are going to go with the flow or "comically" overreact rather than spend a bunch of time in deep thought. The amount of surprise the characters showed over what happened seemed fitting to me, given the tone of the series. (If they had completely ignored the oddity of the situation, that would have been one thing, but they didn't.)

I disagree. As I said earlier, part of the problem here is that the show seems like it wants to be a parody but it just isn't willing to take that final step and be a parody.

Check out episode 2 when it airs. I think you'll get some more of the comedy you're looking for there. I know I laughed out loud, and more than once.

Also, yes, the premise of Ixion Saga DT is not that the characters are trapped inside a game a la SAO. It's more like Last Action Hero except instead of a movie it's a game.

Btw, I don't know if anyone has caught on since it requires some Japanese knowledge, but the title of the series, "Ixion Saga DT," the "DT" has a double meaning. They make you to believe that it stands for "Dimension Transfer," but also "DT" in Japanese stands for "doutei," which means "virgin." That's why the opening song is so funny because the lyrics say "throw away your DT" and "make me throw away my DT." It's too bad Crunchyroll doesn't translate songs.

Erec's name... Well, you'll see in the second episode. XDDD

Melanchthon wrote:

RIGHT!? I'm so glad to see someone else enjoy the series! Instead of analyzing the series it's so much more entertaining to just watch it and laugh. This series isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's purely for laughs, though at the Japan Premier event they did hint that the story is supposed to go somewhere. It's funny when you look at Ixion Saga the Capcom game though because the game itself is a bonafide RPG. The director apologized profusely to the game producers at the event. Anime hyper

If you liked what you saw in the first episode I guarantee that you will love the second episode! =D This is a great series for when you don't want to think and just need a laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 55