• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo / The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

Genres: comedy, drama, romance
Themes: school

The school romantic comedy revolves around a second-year high school student named Kanda Sorata who lives in Sakurasou, the dormitory for problem children at Sorata's school. One day, Shiina Mashiro — a cute girl who happens to be also a cosmopolitan, brilliant artist — moves into Sakurasou.

Sorata thinks to himself that he should protect Mashiro from the weirdos at Sakurasou, but Mashiro has a surprising secret: she has no idea how to take care of herself. She gets lost if she goes out, and her room is a complete mess. Sorata's dorm mates designate him as the master of Mashiro, and thus, an ordinary boy and a brilliant girl must live like a master and his pet.

Number of Episodes: 12

ANN Link
AniDB Link
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiino (was that her name?) is awesome. Her flightly personality is just so fun to watch, especially when foil to the main kid's personality.

As far as thematic elements go, the concept of 'bored with life' isn't anything new, though I'm hoping that the setting and cast can find a way to change it up.

The alien girl is super-annoying to me. I dunno. She just grates on me. It's like, just be quiet for two seconds, geeze. Though her panty-service inside of the first two minutes of the show was pretty nice.

Overall, I think I'll keep watching if for nothing else then to see the relationship between Shiiro and the MC blossom. Oh, and good music, too.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone would like this show well enough to start a topic... although I notice that you don't actually comment on its worth yourself. You really should start a talkbalk thread with your own thoughts of the show, ookamigirl.

A pet girl(friend)("Kanojo does mean "girlfriend, right?). A girl who is drop dead gorgeous but also seemingly mentally disabled, who you have to help dress. That really is a tremendous amount of otaku wish fulfillment here.

Yet... I'll probably watch at least another episode of it before deciding whether I'll continue. It may be mindless fun... mindless in the way the girl seems to have no mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
YEah this show is all about otaku wish fulfillment. A house full of lustful women throwing themselves on the MC and trying to take their clothes off.

Yet, the first episode leaves some promise that it might try to transcend this over-used theme. I like some of the premise here.

Overall I doubt it'll be more than pander to the ecchi otakus but we'll see.

But really though...do the Japanese thing people in England walk around naked or something? Is that an actual cultural profile? Cus that's some messed up shiz.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I read some comments that this series relates to Toradora!, a series that I really enjoyed before.

Anyways, regarding this pilot episode, I liked it tbh. The visuals and strange introduction of the cast of characters and of course Mashiro near the end there, ha. Her voice is soft and straight to the point..but her artistic skills is something else. I wonder if that will play any role in the future.

Nice episode overall and looking forward to more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Anybody else really dig the ending song? I just love it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
*sets up drip feed from anime up to body*
Oh how I love trashy ecchi highschool romance anime, it is one of the wonders of current anime, and I am in.

Lets not think too hard about the girl being mentally dissabled, lets just say she is eccentric, that sounds less likely to have me put on some sort of watch list.

The main character's look reminds a lot of Yumeiji Fujiwara, except this guy is not attacked by cats in his dream, friends with slightly odd artsist, or has a teacher that crosses bounderies. Oh wait. On the upside he wakes up to *cat meowing sound* on his face.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
I guess a lot of us are waiting for something exciting or interesting to happen within the new few episodes as episode one was rather generic when you compare it to something such as My Little Monster.
Rensie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Only someone who has read the novel can answer this i guess.
Apart the same preview by the same ann haters seems more original and entertain. The plot is interesting if they manage it in the right way and don't fall into the classic harem archetype (the childhood friend love triangle and so on) in the next episodes.

ps: oh just read now the good and non biased review of Carl, i'm amazed. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
I found the first eppie quite humorous; especially Sexy Sensei's classic line, spoiler["Respect? I left that behind in my old man's testicles."] Laughing I'm still chuckling. As I mentioned in the fall preview thread, it would be easy to imagine how cheesy, boring and unfunny this material could be in the wrong hands, but so far, those pitfalls are being avoided.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
I do agree that the line you quoted is a classic, Blood-. (I can see it coming up in the quote game a few weeks down the road.) The episode had a couple of other zingers, too, although off the top of my head I don't recall them.

I disagree that this one is avoiding the major pitfalls so far, though. That they are setting up for the typical elements for this kind of series is painfully obvious. I may watch one more episode just to see how it goes, but it's going to have to show me something more interesting than what we've seen so far to hold my interest for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Well, another line that cracked me up was when the MC mentioned that Sexy Sensei was 30 and spoiler[she "corrected" him by noting she was 29 years and 15 months old.] Laughing

What I meant about avoiding pitfalls wasn't that they were doing anything terribly innovative, just that this same material could have been handled so much less deftly. I'm thinking specifically about OniAi which I couldn't make past the 10 minute mark. It wasn't that I was offended conceptually by what OniAi was doing - it was just so boring, unfunny and charmless to me. I contrast that with something like Pet Girl, which at least has some laughs and liveliness.

I've just read Carl's preview review and it expresses very much the way I felt. I think we both ended up being a bit surprised that we liked it given our expectations going in.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
A pet girl(friend)("Kanojo does mean "girlfriend, right?)

It can, but in this context it's just 'girl.'

Riddley wrote:
YEah this show is all about otaku wish fulfillment. A house full of lustful women throwing themselves on the MC and trying to take their clothes off.

If by a "house full" you mean one girl...

Really it's pretty weak on the wish fulfillment. Sure, I bet there are those out there that would like a girl they had to look after... except Mashiro doesn't really need looking after. It's just that if left to her own devices she'd go out with no panties and her hair being a mess Laughing

Though I'd say it's more of a wish fulfillment for us boring nice guys because cute girls would never find us interesting in real life Laughing

Stark700 wrote:
I read some comments that this series relates to Toradora!, a series that I really enjoyed before.

Well, the show already has a leg up on Toradora in my opinion since a major factor that made Toradora's ending ruin the series is absent. Specifically spoiler[Sorata isn't in love with some one else so he won't randomly decide he loves Mashiro at the last minute. I'd say Toradora has a lot more unfortunate implications because Ryuji pretty much chose Taiga solely because she couldn't survive on her own without him.]

Anyways, I enjoyed the episode myself. It was nice, harmless fun and it's appealing to look at to boot. I'll definitely keep watching it.
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
I actually quite enjoyed this first episode. I think people are playing up the ecchi elements a bit more than they are represented in the show - okay, there was one panty-shot and a scene where a character is nude, but I honestly felt like they were played more for laughs than for otaku arousal. And I laughed quite a bit at this episode - there were a bunch of good lines, and I always enjoy "loud shouting" humor (My Bride is a Mermaid is like my favorite comedy anime ever) so the few times the main guy was like "OMGWTF" I burst out laughing.

Really though I don't think Shiina is as helpless as this first episode or the series' detractors make her out to be, either. I guess we'll see as it goes on, but I feel like she isn't so much mentally disabled as she just doesn't particularly care about the 'correct' way to do things. Eccentric, more than handicapped. That's the impression I get.

I also liked the main guy. And I think this is where the series might raise itself a bit above the normal ecchi otaku wish-fulfilment crowd. He seems like a genuinely nice dude. He wasn't acting particularly perverted. There was no nose-bleeding or attempted peeking. He wasn't one of those characters who turns into a scumbag the moment he suspects a naked girl might be in the vicinity. He just seems like a pretty normal, decent fellow who has to deal with a situation which is outside his experience, and I found his reactions to be relatable and pretty consistent with what I would imagine doing in a similar situation.

We'll see if it hold sup, but I thought the first ep exceeded my expectation going in.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i really like Sorata and all his reactions to the current situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 24