• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PETA Releases Pokémon Parody Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
People in rural communities who raise animals still slaughter and prepare chickens, pigs, and others themselves. But for whom these messages are being sent to, the first world, yeah, we know nothing of the slaughterhouses or pens where they're raised and fed, and most of us just don't care.

Pushing someone too hard on something they don't want to hear may cause a volatile reactionary position to emerge, that whole "I'm going to start eating more meat to compensate" idea.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You gotta hand it to PETA - they really know how to rile up the internet!

They might not be all that good at accomplishing much of anything else but damn they know how to piss off the internet. Bravo, says I.

And being hypocrites to the ~ degree.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
They'd just edit all that out of the dub anyway. Laughing

There'd be nothing left to air. Laughing Laughing Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
it would definitely quash those fanssubers and illegal streamers from milking from the franchise , at least in the anime dept.

Why the hate on the fansubbers? They're the only way people get to see these series which don't get proper, uncut releases in the states.

Though speaking of abuse, I'm reminded of Shinji from Diamond and Pearl.

Satoshi's rival who physically and verbally abused his Pokemon and trained them very harshly (purposely letting his Pokemon getting beat up by a group of wild Pokemon to near death just to make them stronger and utilize their feral 'will to survive' instincts) stemming from his history and relationship with his brother. Course like all shounen, Satoshi opens his eyes in the end and befriends him after their final battle at the end of the series, but yeah, they never showcase abusing Pokemon in a positive light and Satoshi is disgusted by it when he finds out Shinji's training methods, and actually rescues Hikozaru from him and vows to train it 'properly' to show him why his methods are wrong and caring for Pokemon, not abusing them, brings out their full potential
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Yea. Shinji was definitely a creep. ironically the same chimchar he abandoned, ended up beating him in the quarterfinals. talk about sweet revenge.

However if you really want cruel bastards , then you should look at charmander's former trainer damion from season 1. and of course tapig's former trainer who abandoned him. they pissed me off so badly that i wanted to punch those pricks until the cows come home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
underlock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I wanna report animal abuse on myself after having to deal with Gary Oak for years.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
I wanna report animal abuse on myself after having to deal with Gary Oak for years.

I have no idea what you're referring to.

Are you saying that you were in a BDSM relationship with him and he treated you like a pig and whipped you in his private dungeon? Because that's kind of kinky.
underlock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I was his car mechanic. He never paid me. Ever seen the roads in Pokemon? None of it was made for cars. Imagine all my hard work.
Hopeless Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm late to the party, but two words summed up my reaction after reading the article.
...This again Rolling Eyes
On what TitanXL said:
What I found weird about Shinji/Paul was that despite being a massive jerk, he still manages to have fan girls to the point where they ignore the horrible things he did to his Pokémon. Don't ask me how Shocked

Sorry about not posting quotes, I'm new and still figuring out how to do things. Embarassed
Also I'm typing on an iPad Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Fangirls love bad boys.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

However if you really want cruel bastards , then you should look at charmander's former trainer damion from season 1. and of course tapig's former trainer who abandoned him. they pissed me off so badly that i wanted to punch those pricks until the cows come home.

Pokemon aren't real animals, guys. Don't treat 'em like PETA does. Laughing
Hopeless Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL

There's a difference of being a bad boy and an abusive jerk Evil or Very Mad
...That didn't make much sense did it. Embarassed
I also just remember something about Shinji/Paul said some nasty things after beating someone to the point where they were unable to battle for awhile.
I was trying to use the spoiler tags but I having some trouble with them.
-laughs nervously-

Last edited by Hopeless Wanderer on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should be arrested for animal abuse because I spent 18 hours of grinding to defeat the Elite 4 Champion. I neglected the health of my Pokemon, forced them continually battle for exp with no PP and refused to bring them to the Pokemon Center they were low on PP and HP. Heck, I was cheering for joy when I destroyed Champion Iris with an under-level team of Pokemon (level 53s).
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Speak for yourself. I'm 30 years old, and I think the idea of a "dark, edgy" Pokemon game is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

I'm also an adult and would not be very fond of a dark, edgy pokemon. I like it because it's innocent, cute, and fun. Why change the core themes that make it attractive after all these years? I think there is a lot of diversity in adult tastes. Catering to adult fans doesn't necessarily mean graphic violence, I think.
Hopeless Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
-Realizes that she might have started something bad-
Shocked I wasn't trying to be mean to fans who like the character and if I was, I'm very sorry Anime smile + sweatdrop .

Back on topic:
So how long have PETA have been making mountains of molehills of animals in a fictional setting for how long now ? I remember something in the article saying something about them for complaining about the tanuki suit that Mario wears in some of his game like toddlers. Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10