• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Media Blasters Anime Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, I would argue that re-selling and buying used anime does help the industry. I think a lot of sellers use the money they get for their unwanted titles to turn around and buy something new. But the larger point is, yes, it's absolutely ridiculous to denigrate buying previously owned anime (or anything else for that matter) simply because that sale doesn't immediately "benefit the industry."
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think a lot of sellers use the money they get for their unwanted titles to turn around and buy something new.

That is exactly what I do. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It's not my, or any fans', job to save or support the industry. Do some feel like they should? Sure, and that's fine, but no one is obligated to make decisions because of the poor widdle industry. It's the industries job to look out for the industry.

Eh...yeah it is the fans job to keep it afloat. If the fans stop buying their anime...then yeah, it's going to die. Not sure were you get the idea that the it's not the fans' jobs to keep it alive, but it is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Wrong. It is a business's responsibility to ensure it offers product(s) that enough people will buy to make a profit. Any industry that depends on the charity of its client base is inherently doomed.

Like I say, your whole stance with respect to buying used anime is silly.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
@ Vata Raven

I disagree. It is the job of the industry to provide what the fans want and to help them know to want it. Coping with the secondary market is part of that. That is why reissues are usually cheaper. No fan or even a group of fans can buy enough to keep a business afloat. Buying something you don't want or don't need just to "support the industry" is just a waste of money.

A fan does have a duty to use ligitimate sources though, however, that includes the secondary market.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Eh...yeah it is the fans job to keep it afloat. If the fans stop buying their anime...then yeah, it's going to die. Not sure were you get the idea that the it's not the fans' jobs to keep it alive, but it is.

How folks choose to buy their anime (new, used or OOP) is up to them. You, I or anyone else have no right to dictate others in how they choose to make their anime purchases. If there's an older anime I have interest in yet is OOP, I would much rather snag it now than wait and hope an anime licensor snags it up years from now or possibly never.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuno_Shiki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
By definition an out of print title is not being released by any company in charge of licensing. So the 2nd hand market is the defacto option to gain access to said titles.

If I'm interested in watching something that's OOP whether buying that "helps" the industry is my last concern; I only care about two things; A) where IS it available? and B) Where is the copy most reasonably priced based on what I can afford?

As GG said, re-releases sometimes never come for a title and for people making a conscientious choice of what to watch this means an alternative market is the only option. Choices aren't always there when it comes to these types of releases, and certainty about license rescuing is obviously never a guarantee.

Quote:

One thing I think you're forgetting is that different series have a different target demographic. In other words, if they don't have the series I like I don't do business with them, end of story. If they release the title and I don't already have it, then I'll support that licensor by purchasing from them. As others have pointed out in some fashion or another it's pointless to buy titles purely for the sake of supporting the industry if it means purchasing a title you won't be able to enjoy to begin with. There's no incentive in that.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:

I have all the original FY pioneer releases (in those nice looking box sets) but missed the OVA. I'm still trying to find a copy online that is in good condition, isn't a bootleg, and isn't over priced (imo). While it's good to know though that a cheaper alternative should be available if it comes down to it, I'm still going to go for the OOP version since it will match the other sets I have.

As for Jubei-chan and Shamanic Princess, if anyone doesn't already have either of these, I do recommend picking them up. Jubei-chan is very funny with excellent bits of action and Shamanic Princess is an unique fantasy title with great story, style and music.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
WTK wrote:

I have all the original FY pioneer releases (in those nice looking box sets) but missed the OVA. I'm still trying to find a copy online that is in good condition, isn't a bootleg, and isn't over priced (imo). While it's good to know though that a cheaper alternative should be available if it comes down to it, I'm still going to go for the OOP version since it will match the other sets I have.

Not sure which OVA set you are looking for but SecondSpin has both if you really want the Pioneer sets. Eikoden is stupidly cheap for the regular edition and the Oni box is only $38. I have been buying from this site for almost 3 years and never gotten a bootleg. They also have excellent customer service so this site is very trustworthy. Hope this helps you out. Smile
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

Not sure which OVA set you are looking for but SecondSpin has both if you really want the Pioneer sets. Eikoden is stupidly cheap for the regular edition and the Oni box is only $38. I have been buying from this site for almost 3 years and never gotten a bootleg. They also have excellent customer service so this site is very trustworthy. Hope this helps you out. Smile

I'm looking for the Oni set, so it does, thank you! How's the quality of the items you receive from them? Since this isn't just a regular dvd keepcase not having more than a generic condition description gives me some pause.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

I'm looking for the Oni set, so it does, thank you! How's the quality of the items you receive from them? Since this isn't just a regular dvd keepcase not having more than a generic condition description gives me some pause.

My pleasure! ^^

I haven't really received any beaten up copies. 99% of what I get is in good or excellent condition. However, I bought a Cat Girl Nuku Nuku boxset from them and accidentally ripped the artwork because of a damn sticker they put on the box but that was my own fault for not being very careful with peeling it off. >.<

But they are pretty good for customer service as I mentioned above. If you don't like what you received just email them and they get back to you within 24 hours with a refund/return option. They sent me a couple of wrong sets before and refunded me without needing me to return the item.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Rukiia"][quote="Covnam"]
Rukiia wrote:

My pleasure! ^^

I haven't really received any beaten up copies. 99% of what I get is in good or excellent condition. However, I bought a Cat Girl Nuku Nuku boxset from them and accidentally ripped the artwork because of a damn sticker they put on the box but that was my own fault for not being very careful with peeling it off. >.<

But they are pretty good for customer service as I mentioned above. If you don't like what you received just email them and they get back to you within 24 hours with a refund/return option. They sent me a couple of wrong sets before and refunded me without needing me to return the item.

Sounded good, so I bit. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again!
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
in this day and age with video streaming and pay to watch instantly most of any 2nd hand purchases are irrelevant.

hopefully the future of videos does not end up like video gamers - where they pretend to sell you a software license code instead of selling you an actual product.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see movement on Squid Girl season 2. I think I'm going to hold out for a BD release. A MB's pace, I'm sure it'll hit in 2015. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18