• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Fate/stay night TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I really doubt it sold terribly for Geneon, considering how hard it could be to find once it went of print. I paid quite a but for the singles and art box only a few weeks after Geneon cancelled their distribution deal with ADV and all but closed up shop. It could be pretty hard to find even then. I think it was more that Geneon overpaid for the title and it failed to deliver what they expected, as has happened to many popular titles including Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya. There is a fine difference between a show not selling and losing money because you paid too much money for it.

Sentai likely paid far, far less than Geneon did.

Sentai is also learning from ADVs mistakes. Also, I think is Geneon came back, they would do better now. Times have changed and I think companies are paying less for anime licenses. This was why I was sort of hoping that Bandai just split from their Japanese parent company and do their own thing. I think when Japanese companies come into our market, they don't know what the hell they're doing and don't know how to handle the US market, and don't understand why prices are cheap. Our prices are cheap to complete with other DVD/BD releases on the market.

kanechin wrote:
I watched Reload first, the original 2nd, the Requiem movie 3rd and Gunlock last. Does this mean they got Braden Hunt to voice Hakkai again since I haven't heard him in any recent dubs.

Yes, they got Braden to do Hakkai, he was the original VA for the role. He didn't voice much for ADV in the first place. He had a few roles. not sure why the dub took forever, they might've had to track the man down
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
[quote="NJ_"]
jr0904 wrote:

Quote:
and luckily they allowed the bang zoom cast to retake their roles for the movie ( except for kate higgins who was replaced by michelle ruff as Saber. Don't know why. )

Because she's a union VA now and the movie dub, like the TV series, was non-union.

Typical. another complicated explainations of these union and non union BS. i mean come on. What's the difference it's being done the same voicing company.

Hopefully,if type zero does get a dub, their wont be any of the complicated union/non union BS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shinn AsukaGSD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad they got fate stay night on blu ray actually my life personally got better because of the news thats how much i love the series.i cant wait i been wanting to show my friends this for a long time.thank you sentai now take my money already Very Happy [/code]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. This was Geneon old acquisition. I thought that Funimation had rescued this series a little while back. Also very pleased about part 2 of Mardock Scramble. Hopefully there will be a complete release instead of the 2 versions that came out previously. Definitely will be picking that up. Though I have considered picking up FS/N. Had wanted to some years ago but kind of debated it. Though I did like what I see and I do enjoy Type-Moon's work.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Awesome news. This was Geneon old acquisition. I thought that Funimation had rescued this series a little while back.

FUNimation did "rescue" the show from Geneon at the time but they didn't renew their license for the show and the Fate/Stay Night license reverted back to TBS and Geneon Universal Japan year ago. Unlike FUNimation Sentai Filmworks cannot rescue old Geneon titles. They had to buy the license directly from the Japanese production committee (or the one in charge on their behalf).

Anyway, I hope Sentai will be using the 720p version of the show for the Blu-ray and not some cheap upscale of the old SD master.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I already have Fate/Stay Night

not me
SoraChanShadow wrote:
I'm going to pass on this. Already have the dvd of this show.

I'll wait for the network premiere on The Anime Network after 5 years after Geneon USA (and failed not playing on Cable TV except you know it was on Animax) never play this anime until 2013!! heh he he
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I need a backup copy. I really regretted not buying the Funimation rerelease since the OOP prices made me paranoid about losing/damaging my only Geneon copy. There are guys at the club who haven't seen this show yet...
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Fate/Zero will get licensed by Sentai soon, I'd love to be able to finally watch that.

(I refuse to watch anything Fate related in Japanese)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Not going to happen for a long, long time since Aniplex USA has the license for Fate/Zero.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
Awesome!! Already own the Geneon rescue Funimation put out a few years back, but will definitely be getting a BD release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6