• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Initial D Arcade Stage AA X Game's Opening Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. Too bad I'll probably never get a chance to play it. Sad
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Good: They kept m.o.v.e. on with the theme songs.
Bad: Never gonna get an English port ever.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah, the arcade has been dead in America for 10+ years... We have the sense to stay home and play games on consoles for free instead of pouring thousands (not an exaggeration) of dollars into arcade games. The Japanese...not so much.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Well, yeah, the arcade has been dead in America for 10+ years... We have the sense to stay home and play games on consoles for free instead of pouring thousands (not an exaggeration) of dollars into arcade games. The Japanese...not so much.

Consoles and their games cost zero dollars? Sure it might be cheaper in terms of cost per minute of gameplay, but it's not free. Arcades lost the high ground on hardware to PCs (current Japanese arcade machines are PC-based platforms) and modern consoles.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
Well, obliviously the initial investment costs a few hundred dollars, assuming you already have a TV, but compared to how much people spend on arcade game addictions, the cost might as well be zero.

I met a Japanese guy who told me he estimated that he had spent $100,000 (eight million yen) playing Gundam Senjo no Kizuna, which isn't even a good game.

Every major online arcade game (ie, Initial D, Wangan, Gundam SNK, Border Break, etc) takes dozens of hours of play (and hundreds of dollars) to unlock the ability to even play at the top level. All of which vanishes in an instant if you lose a card and haven't registered to the (pay) service that lets you get replacements...
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

It's really not that simple. Here in America, kids take the bus to school, get dropped off and rush home to sit inside all day and play video games.

In Japan, it's a completely different culture. They take trains everywhere, walk everywhere and it's part of their culture to go to the arcade/family mart (grab onigiris and drinks)/deepato (department stores) and spend time with each other and hang out.

Also, what the other poster said, these new games in Japan, are PC based. When I was there a few months ago, there were massive lines at every arcade I saw to play these games in Ikebukuro, Shibuya and other areas.

It's a shame, because I remember when we used to do the same and go to the arcade after school with a few dollars in quarters to play X-Men or the Simpsons or when Killer Instinct/MK came out. Oh well...the good ol day's of the arcade....
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this makes me miss the Initial D Stage 4 cabinet in my mall's arcade. They had it until about half a year ago, all in Japanese. Man, that was fun.
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

I met a Japanese guy who told me he estimated that he had spent $100,000 (eight million yen) playing Gundam Senjo no Kizuna, which isn't even a good game.

was he bragging?
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
why no guest post option? wrote:
Banken wrote:

was he bragging?

...10 games a day every day for say, two years would be $47,000, so I kind of hope so. Who would brag about that, though? That's bordering on mental illness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1