• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Oct / Nov / Dec 2012 Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
"selling pencils"

Anyways, I preorder most everything I want from Funimation because of said limited editions and skip all of Sentai's first time releases. I hate Sentai's packaging and think it's the cheapest around tied with Media Blasters. What reason do I have to preorder a Sentai show? To have a disc in a case with "meh" coverart? I have a subscription to TAN, so watching the show isn't a problem, and Sentai doesn't have any incentive to buy a first time release, let alone preorder.

The only problem is that Sentai uses spindle cases for their complete collections. You're actually MUCH better off buying the individual sets separately as their released. The collections don't even give you much of a discount, in fact.

Yes, they do. The price of the half sets only drops AFTER a complete collection comes out. To use a recent example, the two half sets for The Book of Bantorra are $44.99 at TRSI right now, which is the standard price for a new-ish Sentai hybrid DVD release. It would cost you $89.98 to get both. The standard price for a newish Sentai hybrid DVD complete collection at TRSI is $52.49 - a savings of $36. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't consider a 40% discount to be trivial. But yeah, if you wait until a complete collection comes out, then you can usually get the half sets at a decent price.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
warden13 wrote:

Waiting on Funimation is not much of a problem for me because their limited editions are hardly worth it. These days the deciding factor in getting them is actually what sort of bonus Rightstuf is giving out.

that's kinda sad when I think about it, I mean once upon a time they use to put out actual art boxes like the amp for Beck, the wood for Basilisk, and the school locker for School Rumble, now it seems they're content to put as few discs as possible in a chipboard box and call it limited?

I wouldn't mind seeing them take a cue from TRSI, Aniplex and NISA. Those three seem to know how to address the fan that's prepared to pay for their favorite shows in a shelf worthy collector's edition.

Even if Funi just released one new Collector's Tin set for their top selling title, like say FMA Brotherhood, I have to wonder how many fans would welcome that? well besides me at least.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
@ lem
I tend to think of the weird boxes like the Beck Amplifier or the Kyo wooden box as a nuisance, they don't shelve worth a damn. Don't get me started on the tin boxes, they usually get damaged in shipping.

@ Kruszer
Unfortunately I think I have bought three copies of the Tenchi Universe, the VHS tapes, the original singles and the eight disc case. I really liked the OAVs and bought anything Tenchi related.

When I replace something or decide I don't like it, I don't try to sell it. Basically I'm too lazy to deal with Ebay. I currently give them away on the subscriber forum.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Ah, but see with those Kenshin releases, those were already out in the best format they were going to come out on, so if I had been interested in them I'd have pulled the trigger right away. It's when it comes to sets where they didn't secure BD rights, or it's suspected that Japan is holding out on them because of their reverse importation fears, or when they're releasing half season sets and you know a complete series set will be coming out later.

true about the Kenshin releases. At least 2 of the 3 were worth it for me to double dip on.

as for the BD rights thing, I started buying blu-ray in 2008? Fast forward to 2012, we're close to five years on with this new format and fans that want to buy something still have to wonder if they should wait for a blu release or just 'settle' for a dvd version?

and then they're offered crippled releases with hard subtitles, half the audio option, or the funniest one yet, a release with a pdf file included? because of difficulty obtaining rights or whatever?

that's all head shaker and eye rollin' material there. it's no small wonder the industry is in the shape it is. They seem to be their own worst enemy.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ lem
I tend to think of the weird boxes like the Beck Amplifier or the Kyo wooden box as a nuisance, they don't shelve worth a damn. Don't get me started on the tin boxes, they usually get damaged in shipping.

Laughing yeah lately I do too, as I've been trying to make everything fit within my limited space. I would think the one for Giant Robo would be at the top of anyone's nuisance list, what with it being an eyeball and all. That and the black Wolf's Rain box, it not only looks goofy but also isn't very sturdy. But the white one with the plushy, now that's perfect for that show.

Beck is still one of my favorites. I'm glad they made an amp and included the picks. Too bad they put the manga on hiatus. Samurai Deeper Kyo? I bought, have yet to finish, probably never will? and that honker they made for Trinity blood aka the shelf sagger, that would probably work well as a plant holder?

To get you started on the metal anyway Very Happy - Armored Trooper Votom's is one I recently picked up for a decent price, and what have I done to it? accidently dented the top already. arggh. The only tin I've ever had any frustrating problems with is GITS 2nd Gig. I think I have 2 more somewhere in the house. For various reasons only 1 of 3 survived shipping. Other than that, ever since I bought the one for Iria years ago, I've had pretty good luck with the tin stuff.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
My worst box nightmare was that old "book" set Bandai did for Witch Hunter Robin. Yes, it came with a nice set of pins (in a coffin-shaped box) but the box itself was a mess and fragile to boot.

My only problem with the metal "ammo can" for Armored Trooper Votoms is that the hinge is no good so when I undo the catch the entire top falls off. I also have a couple of the ADV metal cases (009-1 and Coyote Ragtime Show) which don't fit on my shelf; neither does the wooden "Book of Spells" box I got for Tweeny Witches.

The artboxes I have from FUNimation are all standard sized chipboard boxes (the ones from the days of singles), also some of their old season sets were digipaks in chipboard boxes (Basilisk and MoonPhase to name two). I think FUNimation has done every sort of packaging imaginable except stackpaks. Now that I remember I did get the metal box with my season set of Desert Punk which also does not fit on my shelf.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The tin case for the limited edition version of Gits SAC second gig was a mess. To begin with it was tin and a space hog. They had a seperate slot for each of the singles. In addition the tin singles each had two discs (one DTS one regular) on a single hub that seriously didn't want to release either. As soon as the complete season set came out I bought it and gave away that tin mess. I kept the DTS discs though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had much of an issue with my tins arriving in bad condition from rightstuf. As for their placement; My Trigun, Iria and Tenchi OVA 3 tins are all on a smaller dvd tower that had a lot of holes for the shelves, so I was able to leave just enough space to fit them. My Full Metal Alchemist tins are all at the top of several rows of box sets, so other than the problem of getting them down easily that took care of that.
I have a few other tins, 009-1, School Rumble amongst others, but those are stacked up right now and not on any shelves.
I've actually found Bandai to have put out a lot of odd sized boxes that take up extra space. Escaflowne & Cowboy Bebop are in boxes with swing up top lids that take up extra space, the Haruhi and Lucky Star boxes are over sized and the .hack//sign box is in an odd hexagon shape.
Let's not forget about NISA's Premium releases. A great release, but I imagine not exactly easy to fit on a shelf. I just have mine stacked up for now.
Not that I wouldn't buy them again or anything Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
The NISA boxes no longer bother me. I have enough that they have their own shelf. In any case, there is an excuse for the size, the art book. A lot of the other cases mentioned above were just done to attract attention in B&M store shelves.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
NISA's releases were the reason I shelled out for a DVD tower with adjustable shelves.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Fancy packaging and books aren't worth the paper they're printed on if the show itself doesn't work for me. It's nice though if you can have it all. Tora Dora, House of Five Leaves, & Anohana are like that for me. They're worth their weight in gold.

I haven't finished Katanagari, Arakawa or all 3 sets of Kimi but I like what I've seen so far. Bunny Drop, I'm waiting for more of the manga volumes before I marathon it. And our Home's Fox Diety? well, that's what I get for doing a complete blind buy. I also just recently took a chance on Enma because it's Go Nagai, but I have a gut feeling that some of it is going to be over my head with the cultural references and other things specific to Japan?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
My worst box nightmare was that old "book" set Bandai did for Witch Hunter Robin. Yes, it came with a nice set of pins (in a coffin-shaped box) but the box itself was a mess and fragile to boot.
I have that set as well, when TRSI had them on sale for around $30 sometime back. I love the set, because it's the most unique set on my shelf and I love how it looks and all of that, but I have no idea how many times I've had to superglue the spine of the "book" because it keeps falling apart. x.x One of these days, I'm afraid it's going to get to the point that repairing it will no longer be an option.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Steins;Gate - Part Two - Available on BD/DVD Combo 12.11.12 - Trailer

via FUNimation.com
Quote:
I know we’ve totally left you hanging with the first twelve episodes of Steins;Gate, and many of you are chomping at the bit wondering how long you'll have to wait to complete the series. Well, fear not dear Future Gadget Lab Members, Steins;Gate Part Twowill be releasing on December 11, 2012! Our Part Two release comes complete with the ever-so-loved Episode 25, as well. Don’t forget to like the official Steins;Gate Facebook page for up-to-date news, contests, and digital downloads...
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Huh, so they did pricematch. Took them awhile. I've already ordered from BB though, I had enough giftcards to cover the the price in full so its all good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 17