• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blast of Tempest (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Hakaze spirit sure is amazing.
That Samon guy looks interesting.
Yoshino & Mahiro flashbacks were nice.
The black iron syndrome, magic, action...pretty cool!
Yoshino's world turned upside down in a day.
Will be watching this.

Cannot wait to see more Smile
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
He's not indifferent, he showed his dislike towards the bad guys more than once. You could argue that Yoshino is indifferent. He didn't seem to have much of an opinion on anything.

You could argue that he has a twisted sense of justice. But that didn't make Light amoral either.

I agree that it's Yoshino who's indifferent.

Though Mahiro is certainly not bound by standard concepts of morality or normality. He isn't amoral per se, but you get a sense that it isn't something that'd stop him. He's somewhat like Liam Neeson in "Taken" Very Happy
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This one's definitely a keeper for me^^ The first episode was very intriguing and I can't wait to see what happens next. The Shakespeare references are fun and I'm interested to see if they develop into more than an aesthetic detail. The mage girl seems really cool and interesting, and I'm interested to learn more about Aika as well. I wonder how she's going to fit into this puzzle spoiler[despite being dead? I'll agree with Blood- that I really hope Yoshino wasn't somehow involved in her death (though that could turn out really interesting if handled correctly).] Honestly, considering the references to Shakespeare and the revenge plot with one of the main characters, this show might do well if it turned into a tragedy, if the creators are daring enough to do that with an adaptation of an ongoing manga (doubtful).

Anyway, I'm a bit of a BONES fangirl, so of course I love the amazing visuals! Very Happy The fight scene between Mahiro and Fraulein What's-her-face was one of the best I've seen in a while. The music was also noticeably very high-quality and added to the atmosphere of the show, but I also noticed that the music didn't ever seem to stop either. I understand why they would do that for this episode where everything is happening all at once, but if it persists it could get annoying. Silence is nice every once in a while.

Adding to the discussion about the two protagonists, I see an interesting contrast between Yoshino's apathy and Mahiro's impulsiveness, but also between Yoshino's apparent acceptance of normal societal standards and Mahiro's apparent lack of caring whether what he's doing is socially acceptable or not. It's an interesting dynamic, and I think they'll play off each other well.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of several Bones shows and of the studio in general, I've been rather disappointed with the works they've turned out as of late, and I have to say that this one at least has potential. Am I ignoring flaws due to nostalgia? Maybe, but let me break down what I see in this show.

First off, excellent technical merits are a given with Bones, and I must say, this one looks gorgeous even by their usual standards, with great lighting, fluidity and detail. The music is pretty solid and well-directed as well, no complaints here; I'm no soundtrack buff, but a friend of mine who is loves the music.

Now, I haven't read the manga, so I'm going to judge this work based entirely on its merits as a stand alone piece, which currently amounts to only one episode. On a side note, Bones has a pretty good track record for adaptations of incomplete/ongoing manga series; Soul Eater was debatable, but FMA (2003) and Ouran both turned out very well, arguably surpassing their source material (in my opinion).

So, let me start with the negatives: this show is pretty anime-y. That is to say, from a worldbuilding standpoint it's pretty heavily steeped in cliches. A quest of vengeance? Mages? Not to mention a decent amount of fanservice courtesy of Hakaze and Evangeline. Based on that alone, it could just turn out to be a standard, run-of-the-mill magic battle show.

Now, if there's one thing I really like with this show, it's the subtlety with which it handles its protagonist Mahiro, who has a distinct tendency to say one thing and mean something completely different. I always love it when the writers allow you to develop an understanding of the characters through brief and subtle moments. Not so sure about the other characters yet, but an interesting and well-written protagonist is a step in the right direction, I'll keep my eyes on this one. Please don't let me down, Bones.
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
The mage girl seems really cool and interesting, and I'm interested to learn more about Aika as well. I wonder how she's going to fit into this puzzle spoiler[despite being dead? I'll agree with Blood- that I really hope Yoshino wasn't somehow involved in her death (though that could turn out really interesting if handled correctly).]

It would be tragic if Yoshino spoiler[was involved in Aika's death,] but I totally agree, that, if handled well, it could be a fascinating plot twist.

rheiders wrote:
Honestly, considering the references to Shakespeare and the revenge plot with one of the main characters, this show might do well if it turned into a tragedy, if the creators are daring enough to do that with an adaptation of an ongoing manga (doubtful).

I also agree with this. Shakespeare has some of the best character studies. Especially in regards to his villains, who I all love, especially Iago from Othello. It's been years since I read The Tempest so a refresher is definitely in order.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Nice OP song tbh.

Aika wrote:
How does a kiss feel?

Nice action packed and emotional moments as that quote sets up this week's episode. I also can't help but laugh whenever I see Hakaze on that barrel Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
There's a lot wrong with Evangeline. Putting aside the idea of calling someone "Fraulein" as a sign of familiarity, did she lose her pants? Miss the weather forecast? Forget what her job entailed?

Funnily enough, spoiler[episode 2 points out the fact that her outfit isn't exactly best for the cold.]

One thing I just noted that is interesting is that the episode 3 preview reveals the crunchyroll translation for the Tree of Beginnings/Origins, and that is the Tree of Genesis. Given that the crunchyroll translation for the Tree of Zetsuen/World's End is Tree of Exodus, I have to wonder if this is coincidental or not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

The creepiest thing about this show is the almost total lack of emotion about all the dead people. Like an entire town just died, and one character just cares about his sister's death a year ago acting like everything is ok becaus he did not personally know the ones who died, and the other not freaking out in the least. We have man, women, children gone, and it is just a walk down a quite street with the occasional body, even Highschool of the Dead packed more emotion.

The magic is nice, but I am going to want an character I cad deem as cool, it is like how the main characters says that the other guy is just as likely to destroy the world for revenge, as save it. Gun totting chick is the best character in this, at least she sounds interested in stopping the incidents.

And there is how he spoiler[picked up his wallet, and he just lets the chick think he is a grave robber instead of the fact he was taking it back with respect from people who bullied him.] Just as frustrating as with K.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And there is how he spoiler[picked up his wallet, and he just lets the chick think he is a grave robber instead of the fact he was taking it back with respect from people who bullied him.] Just as frustrating as with K.

Well, to be fair, she didn't exactly give him much chance to explain himself, and even if he had, it's not like she was going to let up on him.

I liked episode 2. Mahiro is a nutcase, true, but he also showed genuine affection for Yoshino this episode, which softens his character a bit and makes him at least a little likable. As for Yoshino, he's creepy, but he's supposed to be creepy, spoiler[Evangeline's thoughts when he has her at gunpoint make that clear.] I like the fact that he's unsettling, it gives the series a unique feel, and he's still a nice enough person to sympathize with, though I suppose I could see someone having issues with him.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Hakaze is just a guide so far.
Hope we'll get to see her magic in real action.
Mahiro seems to only care about finding his sister's killer.
Yoshino on the other hand is pretty clueless and naive.
Things seem to be changing for Yoshino.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
By the by, what is "forgot my pants"'s job? As in, she's heavily armed, but spoiler[loses to even the most amateur of magic-users. Who is she supposed to be able to beat?]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
By the by, what is "forgot my pants"'s job? As in, she's heavily armed, but spoiler[loses to even the most amateur of magic-users. Who is she supposed to be able to beat?]

Her job? Did you forget her introduction? She's unemployed. Very Happy spoiler[Also, to be fair, when even an amateur magic user can block a shotgun blast at point blank range, it's kind of hard to win.]
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Evangeline (Conspirator so fine) pointed out herself that she's wearing too little.

I liked the confrontation between her and Lain-haired boy too and it showed that he too can fight perhaps just as well as his friend.

Love that the spear dude has a killer fedora.

Finally, I have to mention the music. It's orchestrated and beautiful, really strong and just great to listen to. Check off another OST I'm going to need to buy. :/

And the ending makes the show look like a slice-of-life drama rather then a sci-fi explosion.

Last edited by ZorgonXtreme on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first two epiodes on CR. This is much better than I thought it would be. It took me a bit to figure out how Aiko played into it, but I got everything straightened out eventually.

I don't have a problem with the way Mahiro and Yoshino were acting regarding the dead people. Not everyone gets stressed out just because people are dead. I think *seeing* all of those turned-to-iron people would be sort of creepy, but the fact that they were dead wouldn't bug me too much.

Evangeline is pretty tough, though. She fought Mahiro pretty well considering all the crazy stuff he was doing, and even managed to unload a shotgun point-blank to the face. Whoever she is, she must've had some sort of training to be capable of doing that. Plus, she's toting all that hardware in a country that is notoriously stringent about civilians possessing firearms, and she seemed very... quick to go to DEFCON1 on someone she just met.

As for the music, I like it, but sometimes felt it was a bit intrusive -- there were times I think the scene would've benefited from no music or a more subdued use of it. But the music itself was pretty good.

At any rate, seems like an interesting series. I'm sure that just what happened to Mahiro's sister, and why, is going to be at the center of this. And judging by Magic Girl's comments near the end of Ep 2, Samson may have had some hand in it, or at least someone in her clan.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Every time the mage girl speaks, I can only think of Dalian from Dantalian no Shoka.

Also, I believe "Lonely grown women have many toys as friends." is probably one of the best lines this anime is going to have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 27