• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America September 2012 Solicitation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
locked subtitles...

they are just going to keep trying to find a way to screw wtih the picture quality, aren't they?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The locked subtitles are is another way to stop reverse importing. Yes, another fear that the Japanese will import our cheaper releases, but it would seem...it does help. Also, I think the Japaese company tells them to do it with more popular titles.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
locked subtitles...

they are just going to keep trying to find a way to screw wtih the picture quality, aren't they?
I think locking subtitles is a reasonable compromise compared to withholding lossless audio, the Japanese track or the blu-ray entirely.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
"Locked subtitles" just means your player has to show them - they're not hardsubs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
Locked subtitles on a sub-only release means nothing to me. I can't imagine why I would ever want to turn off subtitles when there is no dub.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Because you don't want them distracting you while you watch the show in your native language?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Because you don't want them distracting you while you watch the show in your native language?

Well, if it wasn't clear before, let me make it clear now: I was writing from the perspective of someone who doesn't understand most Japanese words.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
"Locked subtitles" just means your player has to show them - they're not hardsubs.

Well, while it is true that fiddling with display features will cause the image to appear in a different spot or style {image at the top, all black at the bottom, sure, why not?}, the subtitles will always be in the same spot.

So hardsubs w/ soft images. They're not burned into the picture but they may as well be.

Quote:

NIS America announced the premium edition of anime series Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up is sold out at the wholesale level. There are currently no plans to release a standard edition of the show, so if you would like to own a copy of the series, place your order for the premium edition today!

I call Evil!! on them; If there's no plans for a standard edition {yeah, yeah. "Tomorrow doesn't know today" and all that} then the premium edition is the standard edition. This is an even bigger lie than the "locked subtitles" thing {option? I'm not even sure it counts as a "feature". "Enforcement" maybe?} being different from Hardsubs.

"Limited" would be fine as they even have proof that it was "limited" which is different than AoA releases. The premium anime market is like a swimming pool filled with people and one shark.

And later just the shark.

Also, "wholesale" level? Doesn't NISA anime products only have three main distributors? Oh right, my english is bad and I should have read this as "Preorders were lacking so buy this now! Puh-lease!".

I continue to fail to see the point for the premium anime market; If "selling X amount of copies will only make Y amount of dollars" then surely there must be easier ways to make money such that the profit will excede expectations rather than meet or fail them.

Or is the real profit only in the unquantified follow up editions?
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Well, while it is true that fiddling with display features will cause the image to appear in a different spot or style {image at the top, all black at the bottom, sure, why not?}, the subtitles will always be in the same spot.

So hardsubs w/ soft images. They're not burned into the picture but they may as well be.
You do realize there are ways to play them without respecting the force flag, right? Most standalone players may not have that option, but it's out there if it really bothers you that much.

But since you had to be told any of this, I think it's safe to say you only "care" because you see them slighting you.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
via RACS
Quote:
The folks over at NIS let us know that the recently released Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up Complete Collection DVD/BD Combo Set (Premium Edition) and the Bunny Drop Complete Collection DVD/BD Combo Set (Premium Edition) are both now sold out at wholesale and that no more will be made, so whatever stock we have left (right now we only have around 40ish of each) on these sets will be it. They also said that the second and final pressing of the AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day Complete Collection DVD/BD Combo Set (Premium Edition) that will be arriving around the end of October is also now completely booked to retailers and sold out. We have about 100ish more of those coming out of that final batch, but we will not able to increase our qnty or re-order anymore after that.

More to the point, however, is that they ALSO told us that they are NOT PLANNING to release STANDARD EDITIONS of any of these titles like they have with others in the past, so if you want Enma, Bunny Drop, or Anohana in your collection it looks like the Premium editions will be your only chance.

Get em while you can. Seriously.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, this makes me a bit nervous. I have Bunny Drop and Ghastly Prince listed "Reserved for Your Order" and AnoHana as "On Order from Manufacturer" from TRSI. However, as my experience with Occult Academy showed, just because you have an item listed as "Reserved for Your Order" doesn't mean it's actually reserved for your order. Basically, I won't be able to relax until I get notice these items have been shipped out to me.

I wonder what's behind the decision not to issue standard editions of these. I remember a while back reading there was going to be a regime change at NISA - I wonder if this has anything to do with that. It would really suck if NISA started pulling in its anime horns.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It would really suck if NISA started pulling in its anime horns.

I sure hope not Sad

Although the pricing may be a little more, there is always the NISA Store, which is always a last resort. I buy most of mine there if it's a bonus I really want, but for example, they still have the Occult Academy Premiums in stock.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the NISA Store is not a great option for budget-conscious Canadians because they charge $10.95 per item for shipping. Different story in the US where free shipping is available.
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, this makes me a bit nervous. I have Bunny Drop and Ghastly Prince listed "Reserved for Your Order" and AnoHana as "On Order from Manufacturer" from TRSI. However, as my experience with Occult Academy showed, just because you have an item listed as "Reserved for Your Order" doesn't mean it's actually reserved for your order. Basically, I won't be able to relax until I get notice these items have been shipped out to me.

We have plenty of copies of Bunny Drop in stock and a considerable number of copies on the way for AnoHana. We'll put on counters when the numbers get lower, but if you're worried, please feel free to contact Customer Care if you haven't already. We don't want you on edge. Smile
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least we were informed that there would be no regular edition. Sigh. I wonder if the series they have released as regular editions have shown that it's just not worth it? Because I would think that as popular as what AnoHana seemed to be that it would get a regular edition.

Some of these series aren't worth the premium for me. I guess I had better sit down and try to determine if I want AnoHana or not.

Man, I hope that they don't lose their anime division. I don't want to lose any more companies here in R1. Also, I'm still dying for a Chihayafuru release, and they're my biggest hope for the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5