• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America September 2012 Solicitation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
RightStufSpecialsMinion wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, this makes me a bit nervous. I have Bunny Drop and Ghastly Prince listed "Reserved for Your Order" and AnoHana as "On Order from Manufacturer" from TRSI. However, as my experience with Occult Academy showed, just because you have an item listed as "Reserved for Your Order" doesn't mean it's actually reserved for your order. Basically, I won't be able to relax until I get notice these items have been shipped out to me.

We have plenty of copies of Bunny Drop in stock and a considerable number of copies on the way for AnoHana. We'll put on counters when the numbers get lower, but if you're worried, please feel free to contact Customer Care if you haven't already. We don't want you on edge. Smile

Laughing Thank you, RSSM - you have put my mind at ease. *cancels Ambien order*
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
To be honest..... this kinda pisses me off.

I know I've had my issues with NIS, but one of the few good things I could say about them was that they'd release more affordable standard editions of their shows after their ludicrously high premium editions sold out. But with the news that they're NOT going to be re-releasing these three titles in standard formats, this just makes me all kind of flustered.

WHY would you stop making physical copies of these shows so soon after licensing them?! They haven't even owned the license for any of them for a year, even! Obviously the shows are selling well, if two of them have completely sold out at wholesale and one is already on it's third pressing. I know these shows did well, because I watched the best sellers list at RightStuf, and they were all listed there for several weeks.

But now you're saying that despite the fact these shows are selling, you're just gonna stop making copies after your premiums are gone? That... is BULL CRAP. When there's an obvious demand for a show, you DON'T just say "Ooops, all gone!!" and leave it at that. You find a way to make more copies, even if they're only standard editions.

Not only that, but what about the people who were waiting on the more affordable standard editions? How unfair is it to them that they'll be forced to either pay more for the show or miss out on it altogether?

This is really being crappy to your customers. You just don't do that. You DON'T. To offer something that a lot of people really want, only to snatch it away and say "YOU NO CAN HAZ!!" not even a year after releasing it? That's bull crap. I mean, what are they even gonna do with the license once they run out of copies? Sit on it for the next five years? Even Aniplex isn't that dumb, hence the eventual KnK, Baccano!, and OreImo re-releases.

Something just doesn't seem right about this. I just can't see any reason why NIS would bother buying the rights to all three licenses when they're barely going to do anything with them. There must be something else at the bottom of this. It smells fishy, if you ask me.

Perhaps NIS is in a worse financial situation than we thought? With that crappy quality control of theirs, it wouldn't surprise me. Rolling Eyes

At least we can still watch Bunny Drop and AnoHana on Crunchyroll..... FOR NOW. But who knows when the streaming license is gonna expire?

As far as any Enma fans are concerned.... well...... you're pretty much screwed. Neutral
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone, I notice not everyone is happy with this news (putting it lightly). Here is exactly what we received from NISA. They currently don't have plans one way or the other for a standard edition.

NISA wrote:
So far there is no plan for Premium Edition restocked, nor the release of Standard Edition. We will consider future options carefully and announce once we make the decision. I appreciate if you could understand the situation.

I'm certain they would be happy to hear any feedback you guys might have, and if a standard edition is something you're really looking forward to. Their contact page is here if you want to contact them.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
To be honest..... this kinda pisses me off.

I know I've had my issues with NIS, but one of the few good things I could say about them was that they'd release more affordable standard editions of their shows after their ludicrously high premium editions sold out. But with the news that they're NOT going to be re-releasing these three titles in standard formats, this just makes me all kind of flustered.

I honestly think they do plan to put the standard out. Not sure why they wouldn't, since they put standard out for the rest of their other animes. I think this is their BS way of trying to rush people to buy the limited sets and not wait it out.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
NIS has been selling their anime long enough now that they probably have a good idea of the relationship between how fast the LE sells and the demand for a standard edition. If after the LE sells out there is a build up of demand for a SE one will probably be put out. However it would be silly to put out a SE if they felt there was no demand for it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
NIS has been selling their anime long enough now that they probably have a good idea of the relationship between how fast the LE sells and the demand for a standard edition. If after the LE sells out there is a build up of demand for a SE one will probably be put out. However it would be silly to put out a SE if they felt there was no demand for it.

Well OBVIOUSLY there's a demand for it. Notice how fast that Enma box set sold out at wholesale? RightStuf already has a counter up for it, and going by that, there's only 101 left!!

And if Bunny Drop sold out at wholesale as well as AnoHana already being in it's third and final pressing, obviously they were selling well enough to merit printing standard version as well.
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone, I notice not everyone is happy with this news (putting it lightly). Here is exactly what we received from NISA. They currently don't have plans one way or the other for a standard edition.

I've sent them an angry email, wish the Enma counter popped up a day sooner while my friend was still in the States. While I'd love to preorder everything, due to recent shipping prices changes and local custom fees, we gotta plan our orders and sometimes it just doesn't add up.

I know it's a limited edition, but at least give me the chance to buy it, especially since they'll have extra stock sitting in their store, however they USPS and their shipping prices suck ass. Thanks for keeping us posted.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
That's really odd. Didn't Bunny Drop and I think AnoHana sell out at pre-order first? I would have thought those two would be some of their best sellers they've had and demand still seems to be reasonably high as opposed to some of their other LE releases that are still in stock. If anything these two would seem ripe for a standard edition. Maybe they are just reviewing their whole model and putting SE on hold for now? Again it seems odd to not release SE for these successful selling shows. I was looking to pick both of these up, but my budget is tight right now (pre-ordered Lain, Ultimate Hellsing, etc) and I wouldn't be able to spring for these until December the earliest. I prefer the LEs myself, but I would settle for the SE if I had to (like I did with Tora Dora, damn!). Ah, well you can't have everything, so I may have to settle on missing out on these 2 shows.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I got a reply back from NISA, saying:

Thank you for contacting us and expressing your concern about the standard release for our Anime titles.

It seems that there might have been a misunderstanding at this time. We currently at this time have no plans in action on releasing a Standard edition for the three titles you mentioned in your e-mail, but that does not mean that these will not happen. Normally when we release an Anime in our Store, we always try to do a Premium Edition for each title. After we release this title in the Premium Edition format and after this title has been available for some time we then begin working on a Standard edition for these titles. Unfortunately there has not been enough time has passed since the release of these Premium Editions titles for us to start working on the Standard Edition for these titles.

Once we have any official announcement for any of our anime's Standard editions and begin having these ready for sale, we will be sure to announce them in our Prinny Bomb Newsletter.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
You know what the problem is here? RACS. The message from RACS made it sound like NISA was being firm about NEVER releasing standard editions of the titles in question, whereas what RSSM and Vata Raven's messages show is that NISA is simply following its already established policy of saying, "we have no plans to release a standard edition at this time, but we may in the future." Knowing RACS, they deliberately slanted the message to make sure people snapped up the rest of their PE inventory.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
As anime fans, you guys should KNOW that "no plans right now" is standard PR response. They can't tell you something that may or may not happen. Most likely, yes it will happen. Just give it some time and be patient, sheesh! Look at Working!! It sold out pretty fast and then a standard edition came out. Maybe not right away, but it did eventually! Occult Academy just came out with one too! I wish fans had more patience then have to freak out every two minutes Sad
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
@ SpacemanHardy: "NISA" and "high priced" in the same sentence. I'm sure you've heard of this one company...Aniplex of America I think they're called? ;p

Haha just kidding. I guess NISA boxes are a bit more than the competition, but still in the range of affordability. Seeing that like 99% of them sell out is a good sign.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

We have plenty of copies of Bunny Drop in stock and a considerable number of copies on the way for AnoHana. We'll put on counters when the numbers get lower, but if you're worried, please feel free to contact Customer Care if you haven't already. We don't want you on edge. Smile

I just contacted customer service to add AnoHana to my order, but got a response saying the title was discontinued and unavailable, and the item wasn't added to my order. Is it still possible for me to order this? Thanks in advance if you're still reading this thread! Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Looks like the RSSM gave me a bum steer. I just noticed my order for AnoHana was cancelled and the other items have been shipped out to me. Crying or Very sad
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah what the hell is going on with Anohana? It's still listed as More Arriving Soon. Why are our orders being cancelled? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5