• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay then, received last week from AmiAmi and actually opened up last night:

JoJo's Part 3 J.P. Polnareff Statue Legend:

Y'know, his clothes are actually very subdued for a JoJo's character. Anime hyper

...and the Durarara!! Shizuo Heiwajima 1/8 by Alter:

He is absolutely gorgeous. He comes with an alternate head (sans sunglasses), an alternate right arm and the tiniest cigarettes I've ever seen, which one has to very carefully jam between his fingers. They thoughtfully include 2 of them, I'm sure because they know you're probably going to lose one somewhere along the way.

Also, recent preorders: JoJo's Part 3 Dio (with cape), and the JoJo's Part 5 Giorno Master Stars Piece (which is unhelpfully listed under "Books" because it comes with a book and a calendar-- I never would have found it it my friend hadn't pointed it out to me).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thedaytimeninja

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys,

New member here and just want to show off some of the photography I do for some of my Anime figures!

Vegeta by thedaytimeninja, on Flickr

Origami Cyclone by thedaytimeninja, on Flickr

Lunatic by thedaytimeninja, on Flickr

Gohan by thedaytimeninja, on Flickr

Metabee by thedaytimeninja, on Flickr
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Got my Phantasmoon figure from SEGA today, and holy crap it is huge.

To the right is my Anaru from Kotobukiya that I paid $60 for and used to be my tallest figure, and to the right is bunny girl Minami, which is also made by SEGA (apparently their B team). I just can't believe how big it is. And for $18. The paint job isn't perfect, but I'll take a take few specks for that money and that size.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised a Type-moon figure has a bigger budget to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I ordered a couple of pre-owned figures from AmiAmi, and as usual I selected EMS shipping. It's usually been really fast (3-6 days max to the southeast US), and I like the fact that the tracking is usually kept up to date. However, this time around, the package arrived at JFK in New York last Thursday, and there's been no tracking updates since then. I've never had anything sit in customs for more than a day with EMS before.

So I suppose the question is:

What is the longest you've had an EMS package sitting in Customs? A couple of people on My Figure Collection said that recently they've had stuff sit for 3-4 days. Any recent experiences from the posters here? David Shallcross indicated that his Rorona sat for a week, but that was SAL shipping.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
I think the longest for me has only been a few days. I actually thought my current package would take longer since it's the biggest figure order I've ever made (four), but it shipped out Saturday and will be here today, so it's only a few days as usual.

----------------------------------------------------

Is FigInStock one of those sites where it's assumed all figure collectors use it? Because if it is, I never got the memo when I became one like I did for MFC. I don't know exactly how it works since I literally just found it a few hours ago thanks to a poster on MFC, I just know it emails you when an order comes in stock, shows up on Mandarake, or has a price drop. I'm just hoping the price drop feature picks up on AmiAmi's preowned items since that's probably how I'll get most of my figures from now on. But yea I'll probably be spending every second before and after work getting this thing up to date.
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I think the longest for me has only been a few days. ..

Is FigInStock one of those sites where it's assumed all figure collectors use it?

Fortunately, my AmiAmi order finally escaped customs hell after 4 days. I was afraid that my package was down some black hole there, sitting on a shelf next to the ark of the covenant.

I'd never heard of FigInStock before. Although since a lot of retailers keep active links to items that are never, ever going to be stocked again and since pre-owned items on Mandarake and AmiAmi go fast, I'd wonder how accurate their listings are. Did you do any research yet?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I got some results via Mandarake for my Saber and Nami searches. The only problem is that with Mandarake the searches have to use Japanese, and I did get some results that were unrelated to either one since there were common characters (kanji); much like you would using the actual site. I don't expect much from that part, though. I'm mostly interested in the restocking and price drop functions.

AmiAmi has gotten some older figures back in stock like this Belldandy, and so I added some older GSC stuff like the Canaan/Alpahard scaled figures and School Rumble stuff hoping for a hail mary.

EDIT:

I got a PM from the owner of the site on MFC because they're apparently stalking me over here *shifty eyes*

Quote:
I am the owner of FigInStock, and I saw your post about it on AnimeNewsNetwork. But since I do not have an account on this website, I will answer you via MFC.

You asked if FIS picks up Amiami preowned items in the price drop section. As a preowned item is not a price drop but a new item, FIS will not tell you about it.
Amiami preowned system works like Mandarake and we are working on improve this part, bringing Amiami preowned items and Jungle items the same way.
But these changes will take time and will not arrive before the end of the year or early next year (I hope!).

If you have any further questions, please let me know ! Smile
Orni

Bummer. Oh well, the restock feature and Mandarake feature will still be handy (especially since Mandarake gets, like, 200 new items a day). I check AmiAmi every morning anyways (Homepage, New Products, Sale Items, and then Preowned), so I'll still catch when preowned stuff I want pops up. Not like I can buy any of them since I'm packed for a while, but at least I know it's there.

I guess I'll start adding links from Hobby Search and Otacute to make it more useful.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
I had no idea they made these, but when I found it in Akiba today, I just had to get it. Anime smile

poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Received over 2 weeks ago and just opened tonight *sigh*

From AmiAmi, JoJo's Part 5 Narancia Ghirga & Aerosmith:
(Whoops, forgot to include all his extra hands, 6 in all iirc)

I didn't mess around a lot with him because his hands were very hard to swap (I didn't dare mess with swapping out his head, not with those thin little bits of hair sticking out like that). Please, please Medicos, don't let your SAS figures slip back into this "wtf the peg is too big for the hole" bullsh*t. It sucks the fun out of playing with them. I really hope this is a fluke.

Also, for the first time ever, I managed to get a preorder in at AmiAmi for a big Taibani item, the Barnaby 1/8th GEM figure. Seems a lot of people have caught on that if they just wait the stuff will eventually be on sale. That's fine, because I'm paranoid and if they decide they'd rather "wait and see" then I'm more than happy to take their place in line. Everybody wins!
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know who she is from Strike Witches? I recently received my Strike Witches 2 DVD/Blu-ray combo Limited Edition from TRSI and did not see her on the box. However, the confident look on her face beckons me to pre-order her. I have a big decision to make.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I just cracked open my set for season two, and she's right there on the inside cover art, so she has some prominence in season two. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure she's American. Blond hair, blue eyes, eagle wings, it adds up to American if you ask me.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
She's actually German. Or rather the Strike Witches version of Germany. All the information you could ever want can be found in this handy wiki article
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I just cracked open my set for season two, and she's right there on the inside cover art, so she has some prominence in season two. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure she's American. Blond hair, blue eyes, eagle wings, it adds up to American if you ask me.

Hanna-Justina is acquainted with Erica, as you might guess from that cover. So, it's no coincidence that Alter is releasing her next after Erica.

While we're on the topic of Strike Witches in general, I'll throw out a question that I also posted on MFC. I got tired of waiting for Alter to release a figure of Perrine Clostermann, but FuRyu did a prize figure of her not long ago and unlike the Perrine that AmiAmi released, she's comparable in scale to the Alter/Koto witches. The FuRyu Perrine was pretty cheap ($30 on Amazon), so I threw the dice and ordered her even thought I've never bought a FuRyu prize figure before. Any opinions about their general quality from the ANN crowd? Sega prize items are getting pretty good these days, so I'm hoping that FuRyu's Perrine will be at least OK quality-wise. I don't expect her to be in the same league as my Alter/Koto witches, but hopefully she won't look completely out of place sitting on the same shelf.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I just pre-ordered the Giant Warrior figma from Good Smile. This will be my second figure, and my first figma. Delivery is currently scheduled for sometime in February. The slope is getting a little bit more slippery.

Question: This figure is about 160mm tall, a little more than 6in. Is that normal for figma's? I somehow had the impression that they were taller than that. At 5500 yen, shipped, it also seems to be about half the cost (or less) of an average statue. Is that also normal?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
My PMMM Figmas are about that tall. As for price, it really depends on how complicated the figure is and who you get it from, but 3500 yen is in the typical ballpark for MSRP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 85 of 111