• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest [2012-10-12]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Yea! I've been waiting for this! Must buy pumpkins now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
clipeuh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Good luck to all participants!

BTW the Sentai Filmworks logo links back to the contest page.
Dorian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Any particular theme this year?
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Every year I go "I'm so gonna do this!" only to get blindsided by school, weddings, life etc. and to remember that I have no idea how to carve pumpkins. Or what to even attempt to put on it.

But I do love pumpkin seeds, so it can't possibly be a total waste....
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Dorian wrote:

Nope, no theme. Except, you know, anime/manga/game.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Just the other day I was going back through old contests and was hoping this wold come back this year, glad it did, I have a giant pumpkin begging to be carved!
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, jesus, some of those pumpkins are insane. I keep forgetting that there are people who are actually talented at pumpkin carving, and not just halfway decent like most people. Well I know I won't win now, but my sister and I were planning on doing a One Piece pumpkin together this year. I'll sumbit it anyway to add to another glowing gourd to the collection. Best of luck to the people with that insane skill set.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Dorian wrote:

Nope, no theme. Except, you know, anime/manga/game.

Five bucks says I was the only one to actually make a pumpkin and take pictures for the contest that never happened last year. Lol. What exactly did happen? Why was there no contest last year?

Last edited by Forte-sama on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Why was a FUNi logo with Navarre Corporation posted since FUNi is not owned by them anymore?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Based upon past winners, expect to spend at least five hours working on it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Why was a FUNi logo with Navarre Corporation posted since FUNi is not owned by them anymore?

Oops. I see/p'ed that from a previous year's contest and didn't notice. ^^; Thanks.
NeoMaster1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
Five bucks says I was the only one to actually make a pumpkin and take pictures for the contest that never happened last year. Lol. What exactly did happen? Why was there no contest last year?

You just lost five bucks! Laughing

I carved/scraped an anime-related pumpkin in both 2010 and 2011 with the intention of entering each one into the contest just for fun. Guess which two years the contest didn't run...

Anyway, I'm not so good with fine motor skills, so it took me about 12-14 hours on each pumpkin and they at least turned out fairly close to what I was aiming for. Both pumpkins featured Rena from Higurashi, as I figured that fit the Halloween theme pretty well and I got some decent photos of the results before the pumpkins rotted away. That said, even if there were competitions those years, they would have been blown away by some of the competition. Some people get crazy good at this stuff. I'm always impressed with the galleries posted after the event.

I don't know if I'm going to do one this year, though. I have a lot less time on my hands this year and I don't know if I really want to expend so much effort on something that will rot away in a week or so. It is a lot of fun, though! Smile
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
NeoMaster1 wrote:
Forte-sama wrote:

You just lost five bucks! Laughing

I carved/scraped an anime-related pumpkin in both 2010 and 2011 with the intention of entering each one into the contest just for fun. Guess which two years the contest didn't run...

Anyway, I'm not so good with fine motor skills, so it took me about 12-14 hours on each pumpkin and they at least turned out fairly close to what I was aiming for. Both pumpkins featured Rena from Higurashi, as I figured that fit the Halloween theme pretty well and I got some decent photos of the results before the pumpkins rotted away. That said, even if there were competitions those years, they would have been blown away by some of the competition. Some people get crazy good at this stuff. I'm always impressed with the galleries posted after the event.

I don't know if I'm going to do one this year, though. I have a lot less time on my hands this year and I don't know if I really want to expend so much effort on something that will rot away in a week or so. It is a lot of fun, though! Smile

*opens his wallet* Here's three bucks and a coupon for some fries.
Hey, you're right, there wasn't one in 2010 either...come to think of it, I did one that year as well. I wonder if those pictures are on that other SD Card that laying around somewhere... Still, we couldn't have even had a contest those two years for bragging rights?

Regardless, I'm all in this year once again. I thought my Super Sonic pumpkin came out pretty good the last time they had this contest. The Lelouche pumpkin I did in the contest before that...well, it was actually going to be a fair bit better, but I had run out of time to finish the back side.

You know though, if the two of us keep entering, we're bound to win something sooner or later. I've actually started to become pretty good at carving pumpkins because of this contest. Ha ha.
Go for it, even if all's you enter is a quick little carving of Kirby. What's more important, the prizes or the pride?
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I already have an idea for an awesome pumpkin! Will try my best!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, before we started running this contest, there were pumpkin carving techniques I had never even known existed! The first time I saw the carved vs shaved vs shaved/markered technique, my mind was blown. I'm really excited to see this year's offerings.

Also, we should be announcing more prizes this week, so stay tuned for some extra motivation!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7