• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release Corrections.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I see random numbers come up as volume numbers fairly often to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Really? crap, it's the first time I hear there was such a problem. I've removed the auto-updating of the volume number so this problem won't occur in the future. But I found 476 releases where the volume number started with zero, and most of them appeared to be incorrect. I've reset all of those to blank, but there are probably other releases with a nonsense volume number. If/when you encounter them, please report it here so they can be fixed. (or fix them yourself if you can)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
To be more specific, it was caused by misidentifying volume numbers in "Customer who bought this item also bought" section of any given product page of Anime Castle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Since I hadn't figured out exactly what was causing it, I'd just been dealing when them as I saw them.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
Here's a question that popped up with Udon announcing more art books: Should art books be added to releases? I'm not an art book connoisseur, so I don't know how many have actually been released stateside, but I do know that I've seen several from Vertical and Udon seems determined to get them out there. I know art books aren't directly related to the show like, say, a soundtrack is, but I think it may be worth considering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Viz has also released quite a few artbooks for their titles, and Tokyopop released some as well. As far as I'm aware, Viz and TP's artbooks are direct translations of the Japanese artbooks, so they are directly related to the show.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Should art books be added to releases?

Always, as long as the artbook is linked with a title. On the other hand, some artbooks are linked with video games with or without anime adaptation (this is particularly often by Udon) and can be tricky to categorize with.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
OK, I didn't know they could already be added. I couldn't find them in the encyclopedia, but that's because they're linked to the manga, not the anime, which is the only place I looked. I should've searched harder before asking the question.

But here's another question: Does it always link to the book, or is it always the source material? For example, if there was a Madoka Magica art book coming out, should it connect to the anime (the original material) or the manga adaptation since it's also a book? Also, I'm assuming art books should always link to the light novel and not a manga adapation (like Toradora), is that correct?

EDIT: I just tried to add the Queen's Blade art book to the first season anime page, but I keep getting this message:
Code:
We're terribly sorry but an unexpected error occured while generating this page.
A notification has been automatically sent to the webmaster and he'll look into the matter as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

Is that just a bug, or is not possible to add art books to anime pages?

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
But here's another question: Does it always link to the book, or is it always the source material? For example, if there was a Madoka Magica art book coming out, should it connect to the anime (the original material) or the manga adaptation since it's also a book? Also, I'm assuming art books should always link to the light novel and not a manga adapation (like Toradora), is that correct?

Neither. An artbook should be linked to the format it originated from. That is, if the art came from the anime, the book should be linked with the anime; replace the underlined part with manga, novels, or games accordingly.

Great care must be taken when it comes to a "media-mix" i.e. cross-platform title. I personally own artbooks of Air and Aria from games, manga, and anime.

For the Toradora! example you mentioned: most novel illustrations have much more details than manga, as illustrators don't have to deal with storyboarding (it's much more complex than most readers would imagine) and therefore enabled to concentrate on artistry alone. On the other hand, should the manga adaptation is performed by a popular mangaka (not very often but with examples, like Spice & Wolf and Mayoi Neko Overrun!), I'm sure readers would be very happy to purchase artbooks by mangaka, but then copyright and royalty issues would be involved.

I see the Queen's Blade problem after editing my post. Hmm, I don't have that automated message as the system sent it to Dan (as it should), so I can only guess:

1. The system automatically rejects a printed material for an anime title. Very unlikely, but I wouldn't say impossible, and if it's really so then only Dan could fix the bug.

2. Because Vertical is not listed as a licensee/distributor of Queen's Blade anime, thus the ISBN is considered not being a legitimate distributor of this artbook. You might want to add Vertical as a distributor and try again; it's a reversible process so no harm would be done.

Last edited by dormcat on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I understand.

Also, you commented after my edit about how I tried to add the Queen's Blade art book. That seems to be a tricky situation since the art there most likely won't come from the anime, but from the combat books. That's just an assumption, though, and I'll email Vertical about where the art comes from. If it's not from any of the manga, anime, or light novels, then I don't know what to do. If it's a combination, then I'll just throw my hands up in defeat.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Also, you commented after my edit about how I tried to add the Queen's Blade art book. That seems to be a tricky situation since the art there most likely won't come from the anime, but from the combat books.

My assumption as well; that's why I just left it there. Wink Unless one of our reviewers is going to write one for the book; in that case I MUST add it to our releases ASAP.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. The system automatically rejects a printed material for an anime title.

That's not it because the two books for the FMA anime (1 | 2) worked out fine.

Quote:
2. Because Vertical is not listed as a licensee/distributor of Queen's Blade anime, thus the ISBN is considered not being a legitimate distributor of this artbook. You might want to add Vertical as a distributor and try again; it's a reversible process so no harm would be done.

If you mean make sure the drop down box for "Released By" says Vertical, then I tried that and it didn't work. If you mean add them as a company on the info page, I can't since licensor stuff can only be done by staff. I tried adding them, but I got that message. Of course, I may have messed up since I've never tried to add a company before. I went

COMPANY: Vertical
TASK: Licensed by
PRECISION: artbook

and got Sorry, but the licensor of an anime can only be added by a staff member of ANN. Post this information in the Encyclopedia forum instead.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Didn't I say "distributor" instead of "licensed by"? Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I knew I messed it up. I got my wires crossed because while I was looking up the FMA art books, I noticed Viz is listed as a Licensor, and so I used accidentally used that instead.

Anyways, I added them as a distributor, but still got the same message as before (the "We're terribly sorry...").
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
I think there's just a bug with adding releases period. I went to add Sentai's January slate, but couldn't. I got the "We're terribly sorry" message again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 43