• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
SON OF A NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Of all the worst possible things that could happen this is THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!!!!!! Dammit! I wanted this with a dub and fairly priced freak NIS strikes again Damn dude.

Better NIS America than Aniplex, which charged insane price. Smile

I'm glad this Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko is picked up for state-side release. Smile
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Mmmmmm, Meme.

I actually think I'm more excited to have book full of sweet, sweet Buriki art. At least I hope it's filled with Buriki art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I always wonder about some of the people who complain about the lack of English dubs, because based on a lot of their posts their grasp of the English language doesn't seem so great to begin with... Razz

Anyway I've never even heard of this show before, but Shinbo + Shaft means I'll definitely give this a go.
omoikane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I've never even heard of this title.

I like a lot of NISA picks, but the catchphrases "ordinary high school boy" and "mysterious girl" in the description makes me want to avoid it. So many shows are described like that, and are usually so derivative of each other. I usually don't like them. I probably will pass on it unless they offer a few eppies streaming somewhere. Neutral Neutral

The catch about this anime is that the boy is not an ordinary high school boy, and just saying "ground control" kind of kills the multiple interpretation of the original title. I like the way they localized the title, I just wish they could've done a better job getting the multiple meanings across.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
$90!? More like $60 max. Also, Sentai only puts dubs on their Blu-ray releases if I'm not mistaken.

There was a time a couple years back when Sentai was a sub-only company (understandably, since they were recovering from the car crash that was ADV's downfall). Currently, Sentai dubs about 80% of their titles, and are even redubbing titles released with another English dub in the past (Appleseed, Grave of the Fireflys). They only release shows on Blu-ray if an English dub is produced, since a Blu-ray wouldn't sell enough units sub-only. They even have a great relationship with Bang Zoom!, and have reunited casts for shows like K-On, Rozen Maiden, Persona 4, Fate/Stay, and others previously recorded in Los Angeles under a different company. Otherwise, all their English dubs are produced by Seraphim Digital in Houston (using the same talent pool as ADV).

NIS America is probably too small a company right now to produce English dubs. As they make enough profit, they might license bigger shows, and possibly work with Bang Zoom to produce English-language dubs of their anime (just like their games). They're basically where Sentai was two years ago, only they're releasing fewer shows, and thus, is making profit at a slower pace. It would be nice if they would release cheaper alternatives of their shows for casual fans who only want the show.

I haven't heard of this show, but it looks... interesting.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I've never even heard of this title.

I like a lot of NISA picks, but the catchphrases "ordinary high school boy" and "mysterious girl" in the description makes me want to avoid it. So many shows are described like that, and are usually so derivative of each other. I usually don't like them. I probably will pass on it unless they offer a few eppies streaming somewhere. Neutral Neutral

This is a show you don't want to pass on; many shows with that that description are basically clones of one another, but Denpa Onna is definitely not one of them.

It's essentially spoiler[a sad story of a girl who vanished for six months; when she returns, she has no memory of what happened in that time. Half-a-year is just gone in her memory. The town has an affinity for aliens, and she had always loved space. To try and explain away the gap in her memory she claimed she was abducted by aliens. But this led to her classmates ostracizing her, and eventually she withdrew from society altogether. At this point, the depicted story begins with the arrival of her cousin, who does not believe in the supernatural. As they interact, he slowly begins to realize that not everything in life can be explained by reason, while she slowly begins to try and reintegrate herself into a society that does not want her to be a part of it.]

It's silly, bizarre, ridiculous beyond belief, and filled with an assortment of increasingly strange characters. But it's a truly heartwarming story that does almost everything right. And don't worry; the high school barely features at all.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
honestly, denpa onna has some serious flaws

everything that happens in the last few episodes contradicts everything that happens in the beginning
-and it's not intentional, just poorly written

I just watch it because erio is hot. and ryushi is hot. actually, all the women in denpa onna are hot! an anime where everyone talks about aliens and all the women are hot - that's pretty hot!
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I only hope that I can buy it here in Canada. When I bought both standard Toradora I had to get it through Amazon US; and the NIS America account I ordered it from originally cancelled the order because they refused to ship up here. Would be a shame if they repeated that with Denpa Onna; particularly if they give it a Premium release.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
RightStuf will be selling it, and to the best of my knowledge they've never had any issues with shipping things to Canada.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I only hope that I can buy it here in Canada. When I bought both standard Toradora I had to get it through Amazon US; and the NIS America account I ordered it from originally cancelled the order because they refused to ship up here. Would be a shame if they repeated that with Denpa Onna; particularly if they give it a Premium release.

Rightstuf.com

Nuff said from a fellow Canadian. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S, Rukiia, I am beholden to you both. Never shopped at RightStuf before, but I will for this!
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That was a rather pleasant surprise of a license. One of my favorite franchises in the last the couple of years (one of these days, I will read the novels). I agree with omoikane about the localized name...decent, but misses out on the "otoko" part.

Definitely going to pick this one up even though I already own the JP release.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
While this is a good title, I don't think I really liked it enough to buy it subbed-only at NIS pricing. Now if this was a similar sounding title, Denpa Teki na Kanojo then that would be a different story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Currently, Sentai dubs about 80% of their titles, and are even redubbing titles released with another English dub in the past (Appleseed, Grave of the Fireflys)

They redubbed Grave of the Fireflies? Why? Sure the original dub wasn't the best in the world, but it wasn't terrible either (but I normally watch it subbed so my memory of the dub may be off). What the new dub better or worse than the Central Park Media version?

Sorry this is a little off topic.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Blu-rays should have dubs
Said who? Dubs is no more than just a bonus and a good reason to rewatch the show later. But it's not necessary or obligatory. It's just... there.

Anyway, awesome news. This series was one of my favorites last year and it'd be nice to have it in beautiful NISA's box with an artbook. I only hope that it won't be DVD-only release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12