• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ikue Ohtani Ill.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ampersand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
That's really bad and unfortunate, but recent events have made me start wondering:

[snip - not nice -b]
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
What "recent events" are you talking about? hmmmm???

It must be a serious illness for her to have to be replaced like that. I wonder what she's got. (?)
dythim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
On the front page, it should say Episode #254 for One Piece, not #154.

The articles also quote Ikue-chan as saying:
"Due to illness, I will be taking a short break. Depending on when my health returns, I want to come back on the earliest day possible. Please look forward to having me back!"

and Kazue as saying:
"As Ikue-chan's pinch-hitter, I will be joining the close-knit "One Piece family". I will try my hardest, so I hope we can all work together."
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I really love Ikue Ohtani. I hope she gets better soon. What kind of illness is this? Is it serious?
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
A little ironic that the voice of a character whos a doctor gets sick :P

I do hope she gets well though, I really like her voice acting.
Syaoran76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Aww that's so uncool! Sad I had the privilege of performing on stage with Ikue at Sakura-Con 2005 with my agency (AJII Team Dreamcatcher's). We went out to dinner at Denny's and she would always translate what we said into "Pika"s. It was perhaps my greatest memory of acting in general. Us in Team Dreamcatchers send our best wishes and hope Ikue gets better. She proves that big things come in small packages!
Traxan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
If it's cancer, don't expect to find out until it's too late. The Japanese are kinda funny about it. As in, they don't talk about it, at all. I used to be a puroresu fan, and no one knew Giant Baba was suffering from colon cancer until after he died. Japan really needs a Lance Armstrong-type.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
Aww lucky you Syaoran, I would love to meet her. I wuv her Pikachu voice, it's just sooo KAWAII. x.x Get well soon Ikue-san! *hugs Pikachu plushies*
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
Syaoran76 wrote:
Aww that's so uncool! Sad I had the privilege of performing on stage with Ikue at Sakura-Con 2005 with my agency (AJII Team Dreamcatcher's). We went out to dinner at Denny's and she would always translate what we said into "Pika"s. It was perhaps my greatest memory of acting in general. Us in Team Dreamcatchers send our best wishes and hope Ikue gets better. She proves that big things come in small packages!

Yes, I'm feeling an extreme amount of envy toward you right now.

Traxan wrote:
If it's cancer, don't expect to find out until it's too late. The Japanese are kinda funny about it. As in, they don't talk about it, at all. I used to be a puroresu fan, and no one knew Giant Baba was suffering from colon cancer until after he died.

Please, don't bring anything like that up. Ikue is one of my favorite seiyuu who I've known for years. I know her very well in many of her roles in both anime and video games... she's so sweet. If anything were to happen to her...
starlightgenie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
Ikue has the cutest voice! I heard her as Hime-chan of Hime-chan no Ribbon and Pikachu of Pokemon. She is fast becoming a favorite! I wish the very best for her, and I hope for a speedy recovery.

How severe is the illness if she has to take a break for it?

Last edited by starlightgenie on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seyrcim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote
She's one of my absolute favorite seiyuu, so I wish her a speedy recovery.

As for how severe, many of the shows are running on a weekly basis. I hope it's nothing to really worry about.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FujiTV reported that Ikue Ohtani was taking a leave of absence because she was in "poor physical condition" (literal translation), based on this ANN reported that she was ill. ANN has now confirmed that Ohtani is not ill, but in in fact on maternity leave. All other information in the news post about her replacements is correct. ANN regrets this mistake.

Well, thats a relief.

And I guess congratulations for Ohtani-san Surprised
starlightgenie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Congratulations! It is wonderful news to hear that she is not ill afterall. I feel very happy for her. Very Happy
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Something amuses me about Ikue Ohtani having a baby. That kid gets to grow up having the voice of Pikachu as his/her mom. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
SSSSSSsooooooooo pregnancy is considered being in poor health? Shocked ***WOW***

Aaan-Dah, I don't think that ANN should apologize for this one. They reported what they read. Errata-shmablata!

Anyhoo, I'm glad she's OK.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2