• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to protect your Art Boxes from shelf wear & damage?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Doing a quick search I didn't see this topic come up, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas that could help me out. I leave all my art boxes in their plastic wraps mainly to protect them from dust (my place is a constant battle against dust), but I do have some older boxes before I started doing that which I took the plastic off. Any ideas on maybe how to re-wrap them? Also, do you do anything special to protect your art boxes as some seem to be a little more delicate than others.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
I do the same as you
cut a small slit in the original plastic warp to pull the dvds out of

you can buy a shrink warp sealer for like food and such, personally I wouldnt worry about it, they will be fine on a book shelf as long as u keep them out of sunlight or place them in a glass cabinet or plastic display box for memorabilia you can get at the container store

DVD packaging has 'changed' since the 5 DVD boxes of the past
honestly, I have no space on any of my shelves for old stuff so I put them in UPS moving boxes and seal them, w.

I'll probably put bakemonogatari on bluray on display as my new centerpiece this winter but wont do anything special to protect it
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
I put wax paper down on my shelves to try and reduce wear when I started seeing it surface on some my older artboxes that have getten moved more due to alphabetization. I also try to stay concious of how much I slide them around on the shelf and try to reduce that by picking them up and placing them instead.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
I don't protect my art boxes, they do well on their own. My old ADV boxes, the old YYH box sets, and Geneon do well on their own. From what I understand, only Funimation's new limited edition boxes are cheaply made, and chip and peel. Oddly, I have some sets that are 5-8 years old, still look brand new.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
For my North American boxes I cut a hole around the plastic (like said above). Japanese boxes usually come in bags. If they don't I have a supply of extra bags I use for them. I try to bag everything.

potatochobit wrote:

I'll probably put bakemonogatari on bluray on display as my new centerpiece this winter but wont do anything special to protect it

Bake will come bagged.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
I usually use an Xacto-knife to cut little doors into the plastic to get out the DVDs, so I can leave the plastic on. I also used to pack everything tight onto the shelves, but realized the friction of pulling cases out might wear on some of the boxes. This did leave at one time a bit of a streak along side my Otogi Zoshi box (at least that's where I think it came from) which seems to have uncoated paper covering. Now I try to leave everything a little loose.

Vata Raven wrote:
I don't protect my art boxes, they do well on their own. My old ADV boxes, the old YYH box sets, and Geneon do well on their own. From what I understand, only Funimation's new limited edition boxes are cheaply made, and chip and peel. Oddly, I have some sets that are 5-8 years old, still look brand new.

Yea, some of the box art seems tougher but not all are equal I think. Most of the shelf wear I've gotten is on the bottom of the boxes. Now don't get me wrong its not on every box I own, but its something I noticed and made me concerned. I do rotate, dust and rearrange regularly so I assume this is what is contributing. I just picked up a new media cabinet with doors, so hopefully this will cut down on the dust. But I still wouldn't mind covering the few that I have out of plastic with some kind of plastic.

I also wonder about long term durability. Yea, I know physical media is on its way out, but I can't help it I like the physical tangible stuff. I have bookshelves full of books and I still buy CDs. If I had been more into vinyl I'd probably have a ton of shelves full of records.

luffypirate85 wrote:
Japanese boxes usually come in bags. If they don't I have a supply of extra bags I use for them. I try to bag everything.

What kind of bags? I was thinking of trying like a comic or magazine bag.
Nico87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
They don't really come in bags, just in a "better" plastic wrap compared to let's say US DVDs.

There's no real need for shelf wear protection if you just handle your boxes with care. Japanese Blu-ray boxes and the Geneon boxes are amazing. Sturdy cardboard boxes rarely gets shelf wear from my experience, although flimsy boxes like those for Azumangah Daioh, Now and Then, Here and There and Kino's Journey are pretty fragile. I guess there's also a risk with the newer Funi boxes as someone else already mentioned. They're kinda.. softer. But it's all about how you handle them. Boxes don't get weary just from sitting on your shelf.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
I am an alien with different biological chemistry. Long story short, my drool has enzymes in it that solidify and form a protective membrane, so I just drool all over my boxes. Pissing on them removes the membrane but it rarely ever comes to that since my brain is wired 24/7 to the internet and I can watch whatever anime I want whenever I want.

Oh, no wait, that was a dream I had last night. Actually, I tend to use the dvds as frisbees for a fun day at the park while my kitty utilizes the boxes as scratching posts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Leave it to willag to inject a note of ? sanity ? Shocked

I don't throw art boxes around or stamp on them, but otherwise I don't take any special pains. So far I haven't had any problems except with the tin boxes. Fortunately tin boxes are few and far between. If your shelves are rough or if you move the boxes frequently I can see you might want to take precautions. Otherwise, just use them gently.

Leaving the plastic wrap on is just plain ugly.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
And you don't even want to see what I do with my manga. Toilet books those are, good for reading on the pot for those days when you know you’re gonna be there for a while after eating that super cheesy deluxe bean burrito. And it’s nice to have extra paper on hand when the toilet paper runs out… which it almost always does.

Alan 45 wrote:
… but otherwise I don't take any special pains. So far I haven't had any problems…

Leaving the plastic wrap on is just plain ugly.

Preach it, my brotha from anotha motha. Plastic wrap is ugly. And I rarely if ever have shelf life issues. The only times my boxes have become scratched or banged up are the times where I’ve stored it some other place (like my backpack in order to carry it around to travel with me or loan it out to friends).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Yea, I know physical media is on its way out

Why do people think this? Physical media isn't goign anywhere, not when collectors are still around. And not in North Amercia anytime soon, not with how only 50% of the people have decent wireless internet and even in that 50%, they still offer crap speeds.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

ADV, Bandai, and and Geneon boxes definitely wear, on the bottoms and in some cases the paper on the outside of the boxes comes unglued. I've had to use a glue stick to fix at least 3 of mine. No problems with any of Funimation's boxes yet.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
ADV, Bandai, and and Geneon boxes definitely wear, on the bottoms and in some cases the paper on the outside of the boxes comes unglued. I've had to use a glue stick to fix at least 3 of mine. No problems with any of Funimation's boxes yet.

I haven't had issues with ADV's or Geneon art boex. My Saiyui form Geneon were used and they looked new, most my ADV art boxes are 5-8 years old, they still look new.

I'm not sure what type of shelves you people have, but I have nice smooth topped wood, painting with a gloss coating. My shelfs aren't killing my anime boxes. Only things that my boxes have is a bit of shelf wear on the bottoms...that's it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
@ One-Eye: they remind me of comic bags. The Bandai Visual ones are resealable, while the Aniplex ones need a piece of tape. Kadokawa sets come wrapped in a bunch of plastic but its unusable after you take it off. For single discs I have a stash of DVD sized plastic bags I found at work. They fit a DVD sized digipak perfectly. For BD sized ones I cut a little of the top off. I'll post a pic but yeah the comic bag stuff would totally work.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Did the most time wasting thing ever...using a small, clear trash bag to see if it could wrap around and protect an art box. Well, it worked, it was a pin in the ass, took too long and turned out decent...won't do it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2