• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TBS Station Receives E-Mail From Alleged Remote-Control Virus Maker

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
Question now is, "What to do when one of these remote control threats is serious?"

Mark Gosdin
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
I knew Ted Turner was bad!!
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
ah, and the plot thicken. This is starting to play out like a mystery thriller movie. Next, the police and the station will trace the email back to the hacker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The scary part is not the threats, but the fact that you can be arrested for crimes committed by others, because your property was used without your knowledge or permission.

That this can be done, means that your computer can be used for cyber attacks (which really isn't new, botnets an all), cyber bullying, fraud (many forms), and to frame you or blackmail you.

Bottom line is that police and investigative departments from local, state, and federal have to be cyber smart and as part of any investigation into any computer related crimes or computer evidence positively eliminate hacking or virus intrusions from the equation. Just because it is on your computer or your computer was used, doesn't mean you were the one who put it on there or even knew it was used in a crime.

Which is a troubling double edged sword for the judicial branch, because the innocent along with the guilty will make that argument.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
I knew Ted Turner was bad!!

No, this "TBS" stands for "Tokyo Broadcasting System".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1