• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
When I read the description, my impression of the title was "Nodame Cantabile written as a seinen series rather than a josei series." Much like I saw Strawberry Panic as a seinen Marimite or Immortal Rain as the shoujo counterpart to Trigun.

The most obvious contrast between the two is, I think, the male lead. Chiaki is a talented but neurotic tsundere, while Sorata is largely featureless. The contrast between female leads is more subtle, but I think it's actually more interesting: Nodame's scenes depict her as a highly eccentric person, while Shiina is treated more like a curiosity. I have to say that I find NC's leads better--how would these two obviously neurotic individuals interact?--than here.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was also quite enjoyable. I love Mashiro's reactions (or rather, lack there of), to everything and how they cause everyone problems.

I can definitely related to Sorata. It's really not a good feeling to be the bland and boring one amongst a group of super special people. Self worth goes right down the crapper.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Seemed to have more on the eccentricities of the geniuses, hyperactive doing some pretty strange things, I do wonder what is with her strange idea of sexuality. Some of this also make me think of Tonari which has some similar issues with genius.

Although it is blown out of the water with Shiina who seems to have major issues with looking after herself. Now I don't like to throw it around much as possible reasons for character behaviour due to just be modled to otaku, but I think she may have something like Aspergers Syndrome or some other form of autism. That actually makes it a bit shocking to leave her under the care of a teenage boy, but I do still find it entertaining.

Probably should not laugh, but it was funny when she spoiler[tried to eat cat food] at the end of episode. My guess is that what she wanted from our lead during the spoiler[stripping bit may have largely been about facial emotions, since she seems to have a deficiancy herself.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Rather than just throwing out a mental disorder, I think this is just a case of crippling over specialization. Like she said all she's really done is art. If her parents raised her with the sole purpose of becoming an artist then she wouldn't pick up much in the way of common sense.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think she could be a genius savant. Of course, Japan despises the idea of mental disorders, so she'll have never been diagnosed as one.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
There's that too. We westerners are quick to diagnose people who don't fit our standards of normal with mental disorders.

Of course there are plenty of people with legitimate disorders but I'm not convinced Mashiro has one. I'd sooner attribute her behaviour to her upbringing rather than some biological defect.

My brother is mentally disabled (undiagnosed, so it doesn't have a name) and one of the things he can't do is tie his own shoes. Is it that he's incapable of learning how to do it? No, it's more likely because some one's always done it for him so he never bothered to learn. He expects others to do a lot of things for him because that's just the way it's always been.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Of course, Japan despises the idea of mental disorders, so she'll have never been diagnosed as one.

Your argument might hold more weight if she hadn't been living in Britain for (at least) the last few years.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it still kinda stands since the author is Japanese.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
But that's a meta reason. In-universe the girl could well have been diagnosed with a mental illness if she lived in Britain. In fact, it is very likely, especially if she'd gone to the local store only wearing a shirt and then starting eating food in the aisle.

Of course, trying to apply logic to a show like this is a fool's game.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Well she did have some one caring for her in England as well.

But yeah in order to be diagnosed one needs to go see a doctor first. Yet in Mashiro's case the people around her might just look at her and go "That's just the way she is" and not think too deeply into it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well she did have some one caring for her in England as well.

And the caregiver didn't think to take her to a doctor? Most people these days would realise that she's not quite there in the head and do something about it, not just accept that a teenager has all the sense of an infant. Or maybe the police would do something after she is caught wandering around naked in a park eating food she stole.

She's more than just 'odd' or 'different' or 'wacky', she has a condition that needs addressing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Well when Sorata googled her name he didn't find any "Genius artist walks down street naked" so obviously it never got to that point. If anything she would just have been poorly dressed.

In any case it's not like putting her on meds would do any good. She clearly functions at least at the bare minimum. A doctor would likely say to make sure she has a care taker anyways.

Sorata's approach to her is probably the best help she could get. Notice how after he told her not to Mashiro knew not to eat something without paying for it, and she also remembered what to tell Nanami.

So she listens to what she's told yet she ate something in the store earlier. Goes to show that her parents, who should be teaching her such things, didn't. Well considering she's an elite this is hardly the first anime where a rich person didn't think they had to pay.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well when Sorata googled her name he didn't find any "Genius artist walks down street naked" so obviously it never got to that point. If anything she would just have been poorly dressed.

Oh wow, it wasn't in the headlines of the top six results for her name on Google, that means it must have never happened, right?

Vaisaga wrote:
In any case it's not like putting her on meds would do any good. She clearly functions at least at the bare minimum.

Unfortunate turn of phrase there.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh wow, it wasn't in the headlines of the top six results for her name on Google, that means it must have never happened, right?

You kidding? It's the internet. It'd be more well known than her artistic talent!
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You kidding? It's the internet. It'd be more well known than her artistic talent!

There are companies which manipulate Google to push negative search results down to page three or even lower.

Maybe if the dude had done an image search with the Safe-search off then he might have seen the pics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24